Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

St Cannons and K/N, need more than the SEPST?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 06:40 PM
Dutchy3051
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts
Default St Cannons and K/N, need more than the SEPST?

I installed HD Street Cannons and a K/N 1717 this winter and today inquired at my local HD shop to install the SEPST. My plan is to go Stage ll next year as my funds allow, and preserve my Warranty too. The tech advised that the install of the SEPST should include wideband 02 sensors with a Dyno tune, SE Smart Tune ProAutomatic tuning module, cable Supertuner and M18 to M12 O2 sensor adapters to the tune of almost $2 large! Whoa!! That would put a Stage l at over $3K here in Canada. He does know about my intent to go Stage ll next year and this sounds like he is trying to up sell me in preparation for Stage ll. The quote is in an email and I want to ask the Service Manager if just the SEPST will suffice for now.

My question to you all, couldn't I just have the SEPST installed for now? Thanks, Dutchy

Last edited by Dutchy3051; 04-11-2019 at 08:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-11-2019, 06:44 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

They are trying to sell you a bunch of stuff you don't need. All you need is the SEPST with the stage 1 download.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:05 PM
SWMB
Road Warrior
Received 776 Likes on 499 Posts

I'd find another dealer. Sounds kinda rich for my blood.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:38 AM
dwagar
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Did you start with the phrase "money is no object"?

All you need is the tuner. You could buy the cable with it, flash it, and do your own auto tune runs.

Last edited by dwagar; 04-12-2019 at 08:40 AM. Reason: .
Old 04-12-2019, 08:42 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,479 Likes on 1,065 Posts

If I remember correctly, there is a map in the SE tuner that says slip ons with AC...or something to that effect. Install that one. You might run a few smart tunes after that to tweak it....but thats it. Im sure there are tons of videos to help if you get stuck with the map download process.

Some feel a dyno tune will get you more on a stage 1. It may, but I'd save that 300 to 500 for when you go to stage 2. The bike will run very well with just the installed map.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:49 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,603 Likes on 4,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutchy3051
I installed HD Street Cannons and a K/N 1717 this winter and today inquired at my local HD shop to install the SEPST. My plan is to go Stage ll next year as my funds allow, and preserve my Warranty too. The tech advised that the install of the SEPST should include wideband 02 sensors with a Dyno tune, SE Smart Tune ProAutomatic tuning module, cable Supertuner and M18 to M12 O2 sensor adapters to the tune of almost $2 large! Whoa!! That would put a Stage l at over $3K here in Canada. He does know about my intent to go Stage ll next year and this sounds like he is trying to up sell me in preparation for Stage ll. The quote is in an email and I want to ask the Service Manager if just the SEPST will suffice for now.

My question to you all,couldn't I just have the SEPST installed for now? Thanks, Dutchy
But Wait! that's not all! if you buy now you will also receive a special gift of 10 free packets of Bug Wipes not offered anywhere else Act now to take advantage of this one time exclusive special offer only available at HD Dealerships!

man that dude is so effin FOS

Old 04-12-2019, 10:18 AM
intrepidxc
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutchy3051

My question to you all, couldn't I just have the SEPST installed for now? Thanks, Dutchy
You don't need anything but the SEPST for a stage I. The things you're talking about are even options when you go to stage 2. I recently completed a stage II and had a very frank converstation with FuelMoto about using the Target Tune wideband O2 sensors with my build. In the end I decided to use the wideband O2 sensors, but according to FuelMoto it's about 50-50 if people install the wideband O2 sensors even on a stage 2.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:26 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,240 Likes on 1,274 Posts

The SEPST is all you need. I have a Stage II bike and just the SEPST, I didn't bother with the wideband sensors (which the SEPST won't use) or the Smart Tune Pro automatic tuning module (which is what needs the wideband sensors). Just run some autotune sessions to dial it in for your bike.

Then, when the warranty's expired, that's when you can do a dyno tune session.

$3k for Stage 1 is insane. I paid $1500 total (US) to take my bike from stock to Stage II.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:38 PM
Dutchy3051
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
The SEPST is all you need. I have a Stage II bike and just the SEPST, I didn't bother with the wideband sensors (which the SEPST won't use) or the Smart Tune Pro automatic tuning module (which is what needs the wideband sensors). Just run some autotune sessions to dial it in for your bike.

Then, when the warranty's expired, that's when you can do a dyno tune session.

$3k for Stage 1 is insane. I paid $1500 total (US) to take my bike from stock to Stage II.
Ya, I just called the Service desk at my dealer and they will install the SEPST with a basic map for just under $600 Can. Much better, I'd say, than all the BS the newbie was trying to sell me. I thought he had quoted a Stage ll at first but when I couldn't find a cam or push rods on the quote I knew something was wrong...LOL
What is the procedure to run some autotune sessions with this simple setup? Thanks, Dutchy

Old 04-12-2019, 04:35 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,240 Likes on 1,274 Posts

It's really simple, although a little annoying. You need a Windows laptop, and the cable kit (the dealer may or may not be setting you up with the cable kit). There are complete instructions on the screamin' eagle tuner website, they have some good tutorials to show you how to do it.

Quick Reply: St Cannons and K/N, need more than the SEPST?