Sponsored by:

The Right Cam for my Road King S

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 04:08 PM
FunnelCake Combo
Tourer
Received 93 Likes on 58 Posts
Default The Right Cam for my Road King S.. SEEKING INPUT

Can I please get some opinions on the best cam for my current Road King Special Set up … It would be greatly appreciated.

First what I want out of a cam.

More Lope on idle / Smooth Take off like current set up on my bike which is very similar to stock.. I honestly ride in the RPM Range of 2300- 2900... I like lower end quik torque..not really concerned with a high horsepower bike... I don't ever get up in the 4k range on rpms either .

I currently have

Rinehart Racing Slimline Duals
Rinehart 4" Slip ons
Screaming Eagle Ventilator AC
Power Vision Tune.

I plan on doing a PV tune most likely for my cam and will most likely get a Dyno Tune within te next few months.

I just want my bikes performance to be smooth yet provide more sound and of course some additional torque

I primarily ride solo , however my 120 lb wife does ride with me from time to time

I have been considering Redshift 468, Woods 22-X , Cycle Rama CR460

If there is a better suggested cam for what I'm after, please let me know..

Last item should I add Pushrods and Kit or Pushrods , lifters and kit.

I want to only do this once.... do not plan to go any greater than stage 2 for my needs.

Thank you in advance for all that provide some help !!

Last edited by FunnelCake Combo; 04-23-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:32 PM
FunnelCake Combo
Tourer
Received 93 Likes on 58 Posts

HD Warranty is up at the end of May … so that is a non issue and it appears I will get way more all around from aftermarket cam vs Stage 2 cam with a Powervision Tune

also meant to note in original post... Want a Cam that will pair up easily with my current set up which is very important.. any reason to add the thundertorque inserts into the Rineharts?

Thanks again.. looking forward to the responses.

Last edited by FunnelCake Combo; 04-23-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:33 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 968 Likes on 556 Posts

You'll do well with any of these cams. The 22x increases the fun factor ten-fold and is working great for me. The tune I got from FM was damn good to start and couple autotunes really has dialed it in nicely. Having experienced bad lifters with my warranty compliant all SE stage 2 17FLTRU, I would definetely recommend upgrading your lifters to S&S or Woods. Tho I've heard good things, I cant say anything educated about adding a cam with your exhaust other than recommend calling one of our sponsors for their opinion. Enjoy!

Old 04-23-2019, 06:38 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,430 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by FunnelCake Combo
HD Warranty is up at the end of May … so that is a non issue and it appears I will get way more all around from aftermarket cam vs Stage 2 cam with a Powervision Tune

also meant to note in original post... Want a Cam that will pair up easily with my current set up which is very important.. any reason to add the thundertorque inserts into the Rineharts?

Thanks again.. looking forward to the responses.
You are asking for idle lope which is and un-smooth idle and you want smoothness like stock. Its not going to happen! Now if your willing to have it un-smooth and work its was up to smooth running that is possible. So you have to decide at what point it has to be smooth by. The RS468 cam has the idle lope and will smooth out by about 17 - 1800 RPM when properly tuned.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:18 AM
Livewire77
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Andrews M462. Running true duals. Here is my chart. Nice sound in my opinion. Alot smaller overlap than the s&s 475 and the rs468. One of the tts cams like the 100 or 150 would do what u want as well. Steve Cole's could give you more info on those. I absolutely love my M462. Green line is power vision with cam. I am running the Thunder torque inserts in my exhaust with fully closed down for low end torque.

The following users liked this post:
joeyvaz (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 08:35 AM
intrepidxc
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the 22X in my 17 FLTRU. I picked it specifically based on the recommendation of FuelMoto. I spoke with them about my riding style (which is similar to yours) and I'm glad I went with the 22X. It idles nicely (not loping sound) very smooth on take off and delivers plenty of torque at the low end. I'll have my specific dyno sheet soon, but based on FuelMoto's dynos sheets (my bike is setup the same as the one they used) it looks like the 22X cam has all, if not most, of the torque at 2500 rpm.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:24 PM
Firebolter
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I'll be on the dyno next week on Thursday to fine tune my RS468/Stealth A/C/Bassani 2 into 1 on my 2017 RKS. I did a similar thing that intrepidxc did, got a canned tune from FM and ran a couple of autotune sessions (narrow band) and it is pretty nice, but I am sure the dyno time will be well worth it to tweak to perfection!

Any of the three cams you mention is a good choice and I can only speak to the RS468. Nice lope at idle and pulls hard from 2K up to mid 5's. I am very happy with the 468. Definitely put in new lifters, hell while I was in there, I upgraded to a S&S cam plate, oil pump, new S&S lifters and push rod collars. Just look at the bearing differences from stock cam versus the bearing you get with the 468, night and day difference. I figured while I was in there, get it done, but yeah, put new lifters in if you are gonna change the cam out IMO.

Last edited by Firebolter; 04-24-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:02 AM
yobtaf103
Road Master
Received 274 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
You are asking for idle lope which is and un-smooth idle and you want smoothness like stock. Its not going to happen! Now if your willing to have it un-smooth and work its was up to smooth running that is possible. So you have to decide at what point it has to be smooth by. The RS468 cam has the idle lope and will smooth out by about 17 - 1800 RPM when properly tuned.
As Steve said, 107" RS468 here, the lope gives bit of character runs great pulls nicely but not smooth as stock low down
Running FM 2-1-2 & their jackpot mufflers Dynoed 95/115 Sae
IMHO these overlap /lope cams probably suit a 2-1 better, pickup from a closed throttle never seems as instant as i'd like (Downshift Throttle blip not suit me), would choose cam with a more smooth beat next time, when i go 124"
Chart below red line was autotune on a map for RS468/2-1 ,DJ sent me, needed bit of correction

Last edited by yobtaf103; 04-25-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:33 PM
gooberhd1
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default push rods

Is it necessary to replace push rods with adjustable and if so why? Thanks

Old 04-27-2019, 11:38 AM
cmashark
Road Warrior

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by gooberhd1
Is it necessary to replace push rods with adjustable and if so why? Thanks
You need to know the base circle of the cam if you want to keep the stock pushrods and be prepared to pull the gas tank and the rocker boxes. My thought on this is that adjustable are easy, reliable, and a time saver. Not to mention, your rocker boxes aren’t leaking, why take the opportunity of inducing a leak that’ll require you to pull the gas tank again.

The following users liked this post:
johnnynitro (04-27-2019)

Quick Reply: The Right Cam for my Road King S