Sponsored by:

M8 Road Glide Ambient Air Sensor stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 10:01 AM
3dognate
Tourer
Received 334 Likes on 184 Posts
Default M8 Road Glide Ambient Air Sensor stopped working

So suddenly my '17 RGS's info switch started showing "--" for the Ambient air temperature.... I verified that the sensor isn't working or managed to get disconnected with the Power Vision gauges as it's showing an unchanging value.

Where the frig is the sensor and it's connections located on an M8 RG?

Old 05-19-2019, 11:38 AM
3dognate
Tourer

UPDATE:

I found it... it's located on the left side of the steering stem. I have one ordered from Surdyke.com

Part Number HD-32700010 - SENSOR AMBIENT TEMP

Last edited by 3dognate; 05-19-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:36 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

How do you know it’s the sensor and not a problem in your harness or connectors?

Old 05-20-2019, 10:07 AM
3dognate
Tourer

I don't... But the sensor is an easy and non-expensive way to eliminate that particular item from the hunt. If that doesn't take care of it, I'll pivot and look elsewhere. I inspected the at the connector at the sensor and it showed no signs of problems.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:46 PM
3dognate
Tourer

I received my replacement Ambient Air Temp Sensor today and replaced it while cleaning up the wiring of the Wideband O2 sensors of the Target Tune system.

My AAT is still not working on the bike. I traced the AAT wires back through the harness since i had the tank off. I could find nothing iffy in the harness. Using the Power Vision I see that the AAT Sensor voltage is 2.3v and if I unplug it, it reads 4.6... but the temp reading on both old and new sensor is 190 and doesn't change, plugged or unplugged.

Anyone with a power vision handy care to give me the voltage readings for a working ambient temp reading?

This one has me a little befuddled.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:03 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member

I’ll run my diagnostic scanner tomorrow and let you know my readings.

The following users liked this post:
3dognate (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 07:53 PM
3dognate
Tourer

Originally Posted by CSMHOG
Thanks, I appreciate it. I’m not sure what to investigate next.

Old 06-09-2019, 04:55 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member

First - I forgot my scanner at work, sorry about that.

Second - lets cover a couple basics and ensure you actually have a problem. Your AAT sensor is a thermistor and resistance within it will vary depending on the air temperature its sensing, and the voltage to the ECM will vary depending on that resistance. The fact that your getting a measured reading of 2.3 volts when it's plugged in and not something near 5 volts tells me it's working properly. Another key piece of information is that your bike needs to be moving over 3 mph for at least 1 minute for the reading to update.

Third - if you've rode your bike over one minute and the reading is still not reflecting accurately, maybe the data field in the screen is simply displaying wrong. Try to reflash the radio with the most current update and then test ride the bike again.

I won't be able to have my scanner home again until after I go into work this Tuesday. I work an hour away from home so it's not a quick pickup. Let us know what happens.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:37 AM
3dognate
Tourer

First - I forgot my scanner at work, sorry about that.

Second - lets cover a couple basics and ensure you actually have a problem. Your AAT sensor is a thermistor and resistance within it will vary depending on the air temperature its sensing, and the voltage to the ECM will vary depending on that resistance. The fact that your getting a measured reading of 2.3 volts when it's plugged in and not something near 5 volts tells me it's working properly. Another key piece of information is that your bike needs to be moving over 3 mph for at least 1 minute for the reading to update.

Third - if you've rode your bike over one minute and the reading is still not reflecting accurately, maybe the data field in the screen is simply displaying wrong. Try to reflash the radio with the most current update and then test ride the bike again.

I won't be able to have my scanner home again until after I go into work this Tuesday. I work an hour away from home so it's not a quick pickup. Let us know what happens.
Updating radio now and will get a ride in a bit when I go run errands and will report back.

Old 06-09-2019, 04:58 PM
3dognate
Tourer
Unhappy

Okay, so I get out and ride a little today. Now I've not noticed this because I almost always start the bike in neutral and I've been either not listening to music or just listening to the radio. But... in addition to the AAT reading --

1.) I notice today that when pulling the clutch and trying to start the bike. Nothing... evidently the clutch switch isn't being read or isn't working.
2.) When pressing the home button on my left hand control it is changing the radio band instead of going to home and < and > aren't doing anything. Volume control functions normal. Didn't try cruise control, turn signals work, hi-lo beam works and the trip switch works.

I took the left hand control apart and checked the harness connector (of course the switches are sealed so only can do so much there. And I took the speedo housing apart to see if anything was abnormal with the handlebar control connections in there and didn't see anything funky. Connections look good in there.

Quick Reply: M8 Road Glide Ambient Air Sensor stopped working