Sponsored by:

Exhaust Heat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 09:48 PM
Lightngsvt
Road Captain
Received 75 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Exhaust Heat?

I'm sure there have been threads on this already, but I'm going to ask anyway. Yesterday was the first day over 80* and I really noticed the heat coming off of the exhaust even when moving (more than I remember my 09 SG having). Are there any good ways to reduce the heat coming off of the exhaust. I was wondering if you could use header wrap on the pipes and still use the stock shields? Would replacing the stock pipe/cat with a 2-1-2 aftermarket pipe from someone like Fuel Moto reduce heat? And does a head pipe / mufflers require a tune?

Old 05-26-2019, 10:02 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,544 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by Lightngsvt
I'm sure there have been threads on this already, but I'm going to ask anyway. Yesterday was the first day over 80* and I really noticed the heat coming off of the exhaust even when moving (more than I remember my 09 SG having). Are there any good ways to reduce the heat coming off of the exhaust. I was wondering if you could use header wrap on the pipes and still use the stock shields? Would replacing the stock pipe/cat with a 2-1-2 aftermarket pipe from someone like Fuel Moto reduce heat? And does a head pipe / mufflers require a tune?
well there are things you can do to mitigate felt heat, mid frame deflectors, HD cool Flow Fan but most who are serious go with cat less head pipes, which a retune would be recommended..if all else fails "it's a good thing we wore our Bat Thermal Underwear Robin"

The following 2 users liked this post by mjwebb:
2017M8 (06-17-2019), Dark lo (05-29-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 06:19 AM
CWOFOR
Tourer
Received 155 Likes on 90 Posts

As MJWEBB stated, there are several ways to lessen the heat. I have wrapped mine and that helps some, but not completely. I have even double wrapped the rear pipe (which helps more, but again not completely) and still was able to re-install the stock heat shields. I also acquired a take off head pipe, then de-catted it, and had it ceramic coated by Jet-Hot (to 1350 degrees) but I haven't installed it yet because it is riding season. (I'll put it on this winter) As MJWEBB says, (and I agree) a re-tune afterward is a good idea, just to ensure everything is running properly. I hope this answers your questions; if not there are a boat load of threads on this subject through out this forum. Good luck and ride safe.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:56 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Captain Itch Crotch Cooler. I have one on both bikes.

The following users liked this post:
Captain Itch (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 11:10 AM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

It's too early to tell yet since I'm still waiting for warm weather. But I had the dealer put on the Cool Flow fan on my new 2019 Ultra Limited specifically for this issue when in traffic. Since the bike is primarily for cross country touring I would prefer to keep engine mods to a minimum and my warranties intact so the only engine upgrade for now is slip ons.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:44 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 603 Likes on 326 Posts

We are still selling a lot of our crotch coolers to guys with the fans installed .. It puts a barrier between you and the heat ,very simple design and they work .. Any questions just drop us a line .. Thank you Itch ..

Old 05-27-2019, 12:38 PM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I Decatted my head pipe and had bike tuned with TTS and I’m sorry but it’s still hot. Best thing I did is pull the lower fairings off. I’m in Phoenix though so everything is HOT in summer. Just my 2 cents and that’s all it’s worth.

Old 05-27-2019, 06:00 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

I see people all the time riding in short pants and soft shoes with no socks. That's ok when the weather is cool but man when it gets around 90f and above, that's going to be hot.

I approach it from the stand point of clothing. Tall leather motorcycle boots, thick denim pants at a minimum, maybe with chaps though I don't use those. Upper body doesn't matter so much, but you still need heavy clothing to keep the heat off.

I expect the motorcycle to make a lot of heat, but I don't think the best answer is to do things that keep that heat in the motor area. It should be evacuated as designed. The only part of the bike that doesn't care for the heat is the rider(s) and their best protection is to cover themselves well.

Old 05-27-2019, 06:33 PM
SMR65
Road Master
Received 829 Likes on 455 Posts

U pulled off the lower fairings? What are u running for a bike? Not a 100% sure, but i thought all new M8 .touring bikes running lower fairings have liquid heads, should defiantly not be running that hot. After all your changes.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:30 PM
Lightngsvt
Road Captain
Received 75 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CWOFOR
As MJWEBB stated, there are several ways to lessen the heat. I have wrapped mine and that helps some, but not completely. I have even double wrapped the rear pipe (which helps more, but again not completely) and still was able to re-install the stock heat shields. I also acquired a take off head pipe, then de-catted it, and had it ceramic coated by Jet-Hot (to 1350 degrees) but I haven't installed it yet because it is riding season. (I'll put it on this winter) As MJWEBB says, (and I agree) a re-tune afterward is a good idea, just to ensure everything is running properly. I hope this answers your questions; if not there are a boat load of threads on this subject through out this forum. Good luck and ride safe.
I'm real curious how the Jet-Hot coating works. Glad to hear you can wrap the pipes and still use the heat shields, I might give that a try. Still debating catless head pipe.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Heat?