Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMR sumping cause explained

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 11:43 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,544 Likes on 4,431 Posts

aah screw it..I'm buying a LiveWire..but instead of Sumping they'll probably be a new problem called 'ReVolting'

The following 3 users liked this post by mjwebb:
Heatwave (06-11-2019), Keithhu (06-10-2019), saddlebag (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 05:10 PM
xyzzyxyzzy
Tourer
Received 160 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
aah screw it..I'm buying a LiveWire..but instead of Sumping they'll probably be a new problem called 'ReVolting'
So, that's what the H-D electron dispenser looks like. That's a pretty good sized J1772 "hose" so it just might be a DC fast charge device. I can't tell from the picture. Do you know? And did the dealer say if they would allow people with four wheel EV's to make use of it if they weren't charging Livewire's? It would be a nice gesture.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:32 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,365 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by xyzzyxyzzy
So, that's what the H-D electron dispenser looks like. That's a pretty good sized J1772 "hose" so it just might be a DC fast charge device. I can't tell from the picture. Do you know? And did the dealer say if they would allow people with four wheel EV's to make use of it if they weren't charging Livewire's? It would be a nice gesture.
I don't know, but I'm aware that HD is requiring any dealer that sells the Live Wire to buy a $100K charging station, presumably for multiple chargers.

Combined with the laughably ridiculous price of $30K/copy for a Live Wire means you wont be seeing many charging stations - or Live Wires.

The following users liked this post:
saddlebag (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 05:46 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I don't know, but I'm aware that HD is requiring any dealer that sells the Live Wire to buy a $100K charging station, presumably for multiple chargers.

Combined with the laughably ridiculous price of $30K/copy for a Live Wire means you wont be seeing many charging stations - or Live Wires.
Yeah and $75-100k is laughably ridiculous for an electric car, but Tesla has sold thousands of them. If Harley was smart they designed the Livewire to utilize the Tesla charging network.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:23 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,431 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Yeah and $75-100k is laughably ridiculous for an electric car, but Tesla has sold thousands of them. If Harley was smart they designed the Livewire to utilize the Tesla charging network.
Well they have made all there batteries before to there own spec. so we will see how long they take to go dead, if not recharged all the time in the Livewire. New batteries every couple years isn't going to go over very well if they are no better than what they do today, but hey, when has the MoCo ever done anything to help the owner out lately. It's my understanding they can only use level 3 charging unless you carry your own 120 charger with you which isn't just a simple plug in cord like all the other brands. Level 3 charging limits you to a 70% - 80% charge.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:51 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,365 Likes on 2,619 Posts

When the Tesla came out, there really were no alternatives.

You can buy an electric bike with nearly identical specs from Zero for 1/2 the price of the Live Wire.

Trust me, the Live Wire will be an enormous dud.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:20 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Well they have made all there batteries before to there own spec. so we will see how long they take to go dead, if not recharged all the time in the Livewire. New batteries every couple years isn't going to go over very well if they are no better than what they do today, but hey, when has the MoCo ever done anything to help the owner out lately. It's my understanding they can only use level 3 charging unless you carry your own 120 charger with you which isn't just a simple plug in cord like all the other brands. Level 3 charging limits you to a 70% - 80% charge.
Well I've got two late models that are paid for, so I won't be in the market for the Livewire. It's kind of like I have a 2016 Fusion, so I'm not currently in the market for a Model 3. Tesla is looking at battery technology where a battery pack would last 1,000,000 miles. Right now the packs are good for 3-500,000. For $30k Harley is going to have to offer batteries that will last or it will be a turd. The technology in the battery field is progressing rapidly. I would say by 2030 there will be and Harley could have a touring model that I would be fine with. Of course at 76 years old I might not be in that market. We will have to see.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:24 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,544 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Well I've got two late models that are paid for, so I won't be in the market for the Livewire. It's kind of like I have a 2016 Fusion, so I'm not currently in the market for a Model 3. Tesla is looking at battery technology where a battery pack would last 1,000,000 miles. Right now the packs are good for 3-500,000. For $30k Harley is going to have to offer batteries that will last or it will be a turd. The technology in the battery field is progressing rapidly. I would say by 2030 there will be and Harley could have a touring model that I would be fine with. Of course at 76 years old I might not be in that market. We will have to see.
that's kind of what I was thinking..still about a decade away from maturity..(the bike not me)..but I plan on living forever, so far so good !

Old 06-10-2019, 09:46 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Interesting

Old 06-10-2019, 10:01 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
that's kind of what I was thinking..still about a decade away from maturity..(the bike not me)..but I plan on living forever, so far so good !
I don't know MJ, I've been reading your posts for a few years now and sometimes I'm not so sure you're not at least a few years away from maturity. LOL!

The following 2 users liked this post by $tonecold:
dwagar (06-12-2019), mjwebb (06-10-2019)

Quick Reply: GMR sumping cause explained