Sponsored by:

GTS Apple Carplay or BT

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 05:14 PM
UltraWalt
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default GTS Apple Carplay or BT

Just curious who prefers BT over Apple CarPlay? For me, the only advantage I have found useful for me with CarPlay is the ease of replying to a text. Speak to text is is easy however, using Apple CarPlay, you cant use the H-D app for saved rides or record your ride.

What do you guys use the most?

Old 07-07-2019, 08:24 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

i don't have a whim installed so voice to text doesn't work for me, but with apple CarPlay, you've got other apps that work great even without voice. pandora, several choices of mapping apps, etc. not to mention, your phone stays charged.

The following users liked this post:
UltraWalt (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 08:43 AM
Uberjason
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll confess I'm part of the Apple ecosystem. So I use CarPlay, but mostly for music and navigation. So much better than even the way better Nav built into the GTS. CarPlay provides real time navigation information vs. the installed maps in the GTS. So I know when there is an accident ahead, I can choose to navigate around tolls etc. You do lose the ability to import via the ride planner app as well you can't keep track of fuel economy via the GTS. So there are tradeoffs. But I do like CarPlay and in the beta's of iOS13 it's even better.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:18 AM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm a CarPlay user myself as well. I have grown a big appreciation for Maps, Google Maps and Waze in CarPlay in the many rental cars I have had for work. I also use it for Music, AudioBooks and Podcasts when I'm on a long run on the open road. I still leave text messages for when I'm stopped and now that retirement is here I will be turning on the "Do Not Disturb While Driving" feature to limit phone calls too. They are distractions I can do without while riding.

Last edited by Sparkee...; 07-07-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:58 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Ride Planner to GTS works via BT on android phones. It doesn't work via BT on iPhones?

Old 07-07-2019, 03:41 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
Ride Planner to GTS works via BT on android phones. It doesn't work via BT on iPhones?
Not sure, all I know I we can't use it in Canada.

Old 07-07-2019, 07:11 PM
UltraWalt
Road Captain

You cant get Apple CarPlay unless you're connected VIA plugged in from the USB port from the GTS. I have seen a post (CarPlay Hack) that allows without the WHIM but not sure if thats an option for straight BT.

Old 07-07-2019, 07:14 PM
UltraWalt
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Sparkee...
I'm a CarPlay user myself as well. I have grown a big appreciation for Maps, Google Maps and Waze in CarPlay in the many rental cars I have had for work. I also use it for Music, AudioBooks and Podcasts when I'm on a long run on the open road. I still leave text messages for when I'm stopped and now that retirement is here I will be turning on the "Do Not Disturb While Driving" feature to limit phone calls too. They are distractions I can do without while riding.
For me, the only time I respond to text messages is when I'm on call. Not yet ready for retirement so being available while on the bike is so much better than sitting on the couch.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:27 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

I use CarPlay all the time. I stream most of my music from Spotify and the sound quality when using BT is very poor to me. It's fine if using music that is stored on the phone.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:58 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Pride Planner works with my iPhone 6s by Bluetooth

Quick Reply: GTS Apple Carplay or BT