Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine feeling hot after Cobra Neighbor haters install (17RoadKing)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 12:01 AM
Long time rider
Banned
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pghguitar
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, I took a few more longer rides (a few in shorts to really get a feel for the heat), and i think my initial concern was somewhat unfounded. The rides after my initial post were longer and in 85+ temps , i didnt experience as much heat coming from the motor as the initial ride. I contemplated getting a oil temp gauge, but the there appears to be only 1 available- and its $150 from harley with really bad reviews. I would like to see if there is a way to manually check the temp without a gauge - (e.g. - sticking a thermometer into the oil dipstick area at a stop), im still researching if this is going to be possible.
My M8 after riding 50 miles @75 mph with an ambient temp outside of 95 degrees will show 225-230 degrees when dropping a digital thermometer into the oil cap hole. I have done it a dozen or so times and it never varies over 5 degrees. In the winter time it will show around 190-195 degrees. For an air cooled engine I am well satisfied. Oh, that is on a Stage II engine too.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:48 AM
pghguitar
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes - when i posted this it was after the first ride after installing them.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:49 AM
UncleDaddy0
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Cobra Slip Ons

HI, just joined the forum and this is my first post. Looks like you got your answer, but thought I'd share to help ease your mind.
I installed a set of Neighbor-Haters on my 2019 Road King this summer and while the sound was improved, it was not as loud as I expected with such a name :-)
In any case, I took the bike on a ~2000 mile trip from Michigan to North Carolina and back over about a week and the bike ran great with no heat issues.

Incidentally, I installed the Cobra Pro Chamber header pipes and a high flow air cleaner yesterday. The change in sound is dramatic and terrific!

Hope this helps.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:59 PM
hollandhunter
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDaddy0
HI, just joined the forum and this is my first post. Looks like you got your answer, but thought I'd share to help ease your mind.
I installed a set of Neighbor-Haters on my 2019 Road King this summer and while the sound was improved, it was not as loud as I expected with such a name :-)
In any case, I took the bike on a ~2000 mile trip from Michigan to North Carolina and back over about a week and the bike ran great with no heat issues.

Incidentally, I installed the Cobra Pro Chamber header pipes and a high flow air cleaner yesterday. The change in sound is dramatic and terrific!

Hope this helps.
Welcome to the forums. Lots of good info here. An I agree a full stage 1 really wakes these m8 engines up. As the stock headers as we all know have those dang CConverters in them and they are a real downer. Wish the epa would find something to worry about other then Harleys.We would all be much happier with our bikes straight out of the box I would like to hope. Anyway nice setup. I agree if the op continues to have trouble with heat I would first buy a tuner that reads engine temps and monitor. Then if it was a problem still I would use that excuse to upgrade to a full stage 1 and get a real tune. Then the fun really begins imo.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:53 PM
UncleDaddy0
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks hollandhunter - we are of like mind. I neglected to mention that I flashed a new map for this setup using the Vance and Hines FP3 Fuelpak. The available maps did not include a Pro Chamber so I used the Cobra Power Pro 2-1. The weather wasn't great but I took a 20 minute ride. I was very impressed with the sound and the performance - with one exception. My idle speed is about 2000 RPM - even after warm-up. I probably will autotune next but the idle speed really bothers me..

Old 09-29-2019, 08:20 PM
Gary1
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 131 Posts

Thanks hollandhunter - we are of like mind. I neglected to mention that I flashed a new map for this setup using the Vance and Hines FP3 Fuelpak. The available maps did not include a Pro Chamber so I used the Cobra Power Pro 2-1. The weather wasn't great but I took a 20 minute ride. I was very impressed with the sound and the performance - with one exception. My idle speed is about 2000 RPM - even after warm-up. I probably will autotune next but the idle speed really bothers me..
Call v&h and they can fix your idle and down load you a new tune. Auto tune may not fix it.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:17 PM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 723 Likes on 443 Posts

Give the tuner a little more time. Mine did that for a very short time, the settled right down. Sweet running.

Old 09-30-2019, 04:11 PM
V&HBryan
Banned
Received 137 Likes on 84 Posts

If you can navigate to the FP3 App's Customer Support menu, select Vance and Hines Support, then select Upload ECU Contents. Please email me at FPPro@VanceandHines.com once you've uploaded the map, supply me with the last 6 of your VIN, and I'd be glad to see what we can do about your high idle.

The following users liked this post:
ole_phart (10-08-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 04:38 PM
BatOuttaHell
Road Master
Received 511 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by V&HBryan
If you can navigate to the FP3 App's Customer Support menu, select Vance and Hines Support, then select Upload ECU Contents. Please email me at FPPro@VanceandHines.com once you've uploaded the map, supply me with the last 6 of your VIN, and I'd be glad to see what we can do about your high idle.
Pretty awesome customer support right there...

Old 09-30-2019, 05:12 PM
Gary1
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by BatOuttaHell
Pretty awesome customer support right there...
I was having a weird idle when I came to a stop and they fixed mine. It's perfect now.

Quick Reply: Engine feeling hot after Cobra Neighbor haters install (17RoadKing)