Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine feeling hot after Cobra Neighbor haters install (17RoadKing)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 07:14 PM
pghguitar
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Engine feeling hot after Cobra Neighbor haters install (17RoadKing)

I just installed the Cobra Neighbor Haters slip-ons today after a considerable review of various offerings. I love the sound, not too loud, but you feel like your on a harley....

Now to the real question - after sitting at a few red lights, i feel like there is more heat coming from the motor after installing these. I didnt ride too long today, and it was about 85 degrees , but after sitting at a few red lights (where the light didnt change after 5 minutes because the sensor didnt detect a motorcycle), the motor felt hotter than the previous exhaust. I didnt do anything but swap out the old mufflers for the new, no ECM tuning, or anything else, just a straight swap of the pipes. I didnt get any engine lights, nor did i actually try to record any engine temps, but i wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this after putting on aftermarket exhaust systems.

Potentially planning a longer trip this summer, so i was hoping to get this ironed out before i go to avoid bigger issues on the trip. any advice is appreciated !

Old 07-07-2019, 07:47 PM
JonW
Road Warrior
Received 348 Likes on 157 Posts

I was going to say it was running too lean, but it f you didn’t do anything on the intake side, it shouldn’t be.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:37 AM
Gary1
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 131 Posts

I had NH on a 2018 RK that I traded and have them on a 2018 SG now. I have nothing but praise about them. I didn't really pay attention to the OEM slip ons heat, but I think everything is ok for you. I have since added a k&n filter element in the o&m housing and a fp3 tuner and it runs great.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:19 PM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by pghguitar
I just installed the Cobra Neighbor Haters slip-ons today after a considerable review of various offerings. I love the sound, not too loud, but you feel like your on a harley....

Now to the real question - after sitting at a few red lights, i feel like there is more heat coming from the motor after installing these. I didnt ride too long today, and it was about 85 degrees , but after sitting at a few red lights (where the light didnt change after 5 minutes because the sensor didnt detect a motorcycle), the motor felt hotter than the previous exhaust. I didnt do anything but swap out the old mufflers for the new, no ECM tuning, or anything else, just a straight swap of the pipes. I didnt get any engine lights, nor did i actually try to record any engine temps, but i wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this after putting on aftermarket exhaust systems.

Potentially planning a longer trip this summer, so i was hoping to get this ironed out before i go to avoid bigger issues on the trip. any advice is appreciated !
I think you need a tuner on there.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:30 PM
BoneGlide
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the NH on mine with no added heat. Because you can see right thru them I can only surmise they allow more exhaust heat to escape.

I have no other mods and bike runs good. I capped the crossover and now only run one NH.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:34 PM
goose222
Road Master
Received 139 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by BoneGlide
I have the NH on mine with no added heat. Because you can see right thru them I can only surmise they allow more exhaust heat to escape.

I have no other mods and bike runs good. I capped the crossover and now only run one NH.
So what exactly is the benefit of capping the left side exhaust off and running it straight through

Old 07-14-2019, 08:49 PM
pghguitar
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, I took a few more longer rides (a few in shorts to really get a feel for the heat), and i think my initial concern was somewhat unfounded. The rides after my initial post were longer and in 85+ temps , i didnt experience as much heat coming from the motor as the initial ride. I contemplated getting a oil temp gauge, but the there appears to be only 1 available- and its $150 from harley with really bad reviews. I would like to see if there is a way to manually check the temp without a gauge - (e.g. - sticking a thermometer into the oil dipstick area at a stop), im still researching if this is going to be possible.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:56 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, I took a few more longer rides (a few in shorts to really get a feel for the heat), and i think my initial concern was somewhat unfounded. The rides after my initial post were longer and in 85+ temps , i didnt experience as much heat coming from the motor as the initial ride. I contemplated getting a oil temp gauge, but the there appears to be only 1 available- and its $150 from harley with really bad reviews. I would like to see if there is a way to manually check the temp without a gauge - (e.g. - sticking a thermometer into the oil dipstick area at a stop), im still researching if this is going to be possible.
might have to try this, wife hasn't noticed her turkey baster missing yet so might as well commandeer the meat thermometer

Old 07-14-2019, 09:11 PM
Gary1
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 131 Posts

I feel most of the annoying heat coming from the rear head kinda where the exhaust bolts, something that neighbor haters will not cause.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:17 PM
BatOuttaHell
Road Master
Received 511 Likes on 228 Posts

Now to the real question - after sitting at a few red lights, i feel like there is more heat coming from the motor after installing these. I didnt ride too long today, and it was about 85 degrees , but after sitting at a few red lights (where the light didnt change after 5 minutes because the sensor didnt detect a motorcycle), the motor felt hotter than the previous exhaust.
Was this on the first ride after you installed the NH's? The ECM has the ability to make minor adjustments to changes and being that the ride was only 10 minutes it may have still been "learning". The fact that you no longer feel the heat may be because the ECM fully adjusted to your new muffs.

I just installed Fuel Moto M8 Street Outlaws and although I was very happy with the sound on my maiden voyage (Saturday), the wife and I did 450 miles today and they sounded even better. Thinking it may be due to the ECM having adjusted to the change.

Quick Reply: Engine feeling hot after Cobra Neighbor haters install (17RoadKing)