Sponsored by:

Sons 1st bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 11:15 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts
Default Sons 1st bike

Not an M8 topic but since I spend most of my time here just wanted to share my excitement. I have a 2019 cvo street glide currently, I have had some type of bike since I was 15. My son just graduated high school and is starting college in the fall, he has recently shown interest in riding so today I took him and got his 1st bike ever, an 883 iron. I am super excited to teach him so we can ride together and share the great experience and happiness that motorcycling brings me. I look forward to many great memories on the road with my son! Just wanted to share my excitement, stay safe brothers!

The following 8 users liked this post by Quik:
Agoober (07-28-2019), bradsULtd (07-28-2019), GPHDXLC (07-28-2019), mjwebb (07-27-2019), Mxdad (07-28-2019), nobodyknowsme (07-28-2019), SMR65 (07-28-2019), Zedbra (07-28-2019) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-27-2019, 11:29 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,605 Likes on 4,452 Posts

sounds exciting for you both..I got my son his first bike when he was 9, and we rode and raced dirt bikes together for many years and among the best times of our lives..then after he graduated High School he naturally had other friends, interests etc. but he still mentions wanting to get a street bike and he's 23 now and frankly I'm not excited about it. matter of fact it scares the living $h!t out of me cuz he has a twitchy throttle hand and is wired to go fast!

Old 07-28-2019, 12:33 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

very nice. I ride with my dad, across states, he is older so we limit the day to about 250-300 miles when on trips. takes a long time to get anywhere but I enjoy it. I am sure you will as will your son. we are supposed to hit Oregon, Washington and Idaho to fill the map in there this year. I keep the map for states we rode together in.

Last edited by hog95023; 07-28-2019 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:55 AM
cgaulzetti
Intermediate
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
Not an M8 topic but since I spend most of my time here just wanted to share my excitement. I have a 2019 cvo street glide currently, I have had some type of bike since I was 15. My son just graduated high school and is starting college in the fall, he has recently shown interest in riding so today I took him and got his 1st bike ever, an 883 iron. I am super excited to teach him so we can ride together and share the great experience and happiness that motorcycling brings me. I look forward to many great memories on the road with my son! Just wanted to share my excitement, stay safe brothers!
awesome news! since my mum passed away my old man has been pretty isolated- he's always been a bit of a loaner- but thank god for his motorcycle. it gets him out of house, socializing "getting together and telling lies" as he says it- and most importantly staying young even in his mid seventies.

for him and me, motorcycles gives him and me something to talk about other than baseball getting aggravated and arguing about the president. (despite having worked for the navy, and uncle sam for his entire life- we're both what some of you guys would call lefty pinko commie ****** libtards..)

anyway- he's in florida retired now and i'm here in San Diego and i get him out here a couple times of year and we just ride bikes everyday. he spent this last week here and put 500 miles on my new Street Bob while i rode my Aprilia RSV4. I'm so lucky to still have my Dad and to have bikes to enjoy with him... (of course he won't shut up about how much better his Honda F6B is than my Harley- and how its the best bike ever- but that's ok. He keeps saying if i'm "good" he'll let me try his F6b next time i visit him in Florida. Thanks Dad!)

sorry for rambling- but enjoy riding with your kid. it's a great way for guys to hang out and be together without having to really talk or do anything. knowing me and my dad- we wouldn't probably get together so often if it weren't for motorcycles. we'd wait for some "reason" to get together and probably just put it off indefinitely until there was a wedding or a funeral or an emergency or something. so make it point to ride together as much as possible! no doubt after school he'll eventually have a wife and kids and time will get less and less and you'll get older and older- so savor the time you guys have now! go on some multiple day road trips! take track class together- go to Sturgis or Laconia or come out here and ride the Sunrise Highway.

I don't know- just ride bikes and tell lies- the rest of it will figure itself out.

Old 07-28-2019, 04:41 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
sounds exciting for you both..I got my son his first bike when he was 9, and we rode and raced dirt bikes together for many years and among the best times of our lives..then after he graduated High School he naturally had other friends, interests etc. but he still mentions wanting to get a street bike and he's 23 now and frankly I'm not excited about it. matter of fact it scares the living $h!t out of me cuz he has a twitchy throttle hand and is wired to go fast!
That sounds a lot like the experience my son and I had. He started racing MX at about 7 and raced until college, it cost me a lot of money to fund racing and travel but all the weekends our family were able to spend on the road traveling and at races were well worth it. When my son got his first street bike during college, I was not totally thrilled because like you said he was also wired to go fast. He is 27 now and we have had many great rides together on our Harley's the skills he mastered racing MX I believe played a big part in him being a very safe and capable rider on the street. My wife and I just recently spent a week in the Smoky mountains with my son and his wife riding every day and it was great. He was groomed to push a bike to the limit and try to out run any bike around him, but to my surprise on the street its like that shuts down and he just enjoys the ride. To this day he has also still always had a MX bike (currently 2017 YZ450F) and goes to the track every so often for fun.

My bet is with your sons experience in the dirt and his respect for the power at the twist of the throttle he also will be a capable safe rider on the street

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 06:49 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,135 Likes on 6,258 Posts

Congratulation

Old 07-28-2019, 07:10 AM
SMR65
Road Master
Received 829 Likes on 455 Posts

Thats awesome, hope u and the young lad get to log many enjoyable miles together.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:18 AM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 1,517 Posts

I envy you. I have had a motorcycle since about age 8. I have an old Kaw 900 that i was riding when my kids were born and would take him to daycare riding on the tank.
At 36 years old now he just never took a liking to riding. I would love to ride with my kids but its not in my cards. Yes i envy you. Have fun and never ride faster than the Angels fly.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:03 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Sounds like a lot of fun. I got to do many cross country trips with my dad before he passed and they were great times together. My kids have ridden dirt a bit. The older two have not moved towards street, but my 15 year old is eyeing a 2007 Sportster 1200 Roadster we’ve had in the garage for a few years. Makes me excited and nervous hahaha. Basic ride course is still a great place to start I think. Enjoy and have adventures.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:22 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

You are living the dream man!!!