Sponsored by:

First Impression Ride - my 128 M8 Build 140hp/151ftlbs

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 05:38 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,756 Likes on 3,138 Posts

Originally Posted by KJinNC
I don't know about any of that ... the reason I'm in this thread is that I've been OCD-level looking at info about big-bore builds, and found this dyno chart on FM without thinking I'd get a chance to talk to the bike owner. Then today, I was taking one last look before I order $3500+ parts from FM to make sure I wouldn't rather have a low-compression build, and this thread popped up. I had just emailed my mechanic to ask what he'd suggest for injector size, actually. That wasn't shown on the FM dyno chart, but I saw in his other thread that he used 5.5. Talk about luck, on the timing.

I had just assumed he used either S&S or Fueling oil pump/cam plate. It would be a nice bonus if the H-D oil pump is sufficient.
The 2020 HD pump is the ticket.

The following users liked this post:
KJinNC (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 10:56 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,784 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Normally, you put items in your cart on the web site, and click the button. Not sure if "email" is an unfamiliar word to you or what. It has been in common usage for quite a while so I wouldn't expect it to trip anybody up. Thanks very much for your warm welcome and helpful responses. Glad I visited this board, will keep in mind in the future.
You're welcome.

Look, emailing some third party for advice or seeking out random forums posts that support your intended goal can be risky considering the amount of money and effort involved in getting your build just right per your expectation. That's my point.

Instead, call whoever's parts you intend to use - the actual professional, tell them what you already have on hand, what you want to achieve, find out what you'll really need, talk it over... It will save you some grief down the line and you'll get better results.

If you don't like this advice. Ok. It was free. Welcome to HDF and good luck with your build. I'll be over here trying to figure out this "email" word. Escapes me.

Last edited by lp; 09-26-2020 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:14 PM
KJinNC
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lp, some people enjoy little message board arguments. I am not one of those people. "Thanks" and feel free to have a last word.

Old 09-26-2020, 11:37 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,784 Likes on 1,575 Posts

lp, some people enjoy little message board arguments. I am not one of those people. "Thanks" and feel free to have a last word.
There is nothing to argue about. You're getting solid advice, you're just not listening.

Questions:
What cam are you going to use with your build and why?
Looking for upper HP or low end torque?
Will the stock header for a Heritage perform the same as a 2-1-2 touring with Cat?
Will my 114 Heritage perform like a 114 CVO with the same kit? It's a different engine.
Are the pipes you have too open or restrictive for this build?
Will low end torque suffer without inserts?
Does FM or your builder have a map close to your application?
What is the recourse if you find the low end or top end lacking?
Is there anything to gain with going with the X-brand cam plate and oil pump or is the HD 8 lobe with seal good enough for the application?
Should you use different head bolts?
Do you really, really have to use S&S lifter cuffs?
Break in period? What's recommended?
Do you need to address the Clutch, if so, use what?
While you or my builder is in the engine, is there anything to look out for? (oil jet screws etc)

This is the stuff you should ask FM (or S&S for that matter if you went with their kit).

Last edited by lp; 09-26-2020 at 11:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lp:
GlidingJoe (09-27-2020), quint8 (09-26-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 06:41 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

KJ, you asked for information and honestly we were/are just trying to inform you of a couple things. Most importantly is the guy your reaching out to most likely will not be replying and honestly, if you read over all his post’s, not just this one, prior to his departure you would realize his answers are all one sided and he has the “ BEST” and his word may not be accurate nor fitting to your bike as mentioned above.

Now you asked about oil pump, I am running the factory 8 lobe pump after removing the S&S pump. The latest H-D pump design for the increased scavenging and the seal work very well. So if your looking to save a few bucks, Factory pump works great.

The advice to call Fuel Moto to discuss your build is solid advice.

Old 09-27-2020, 12:09 PM
Olive oil 2.0
Advanced
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Harsh1828
I did a GMR 124, and my mileage is 40-45, its all in a good tune. Went with TTS tuner and had Steve at GMR tune it. Bike runs like a raped ape!!
yep, had Steve tune my SE117 kit on my fxfbs. 120/130 and outstanding tq./hp curve. Steve is very good at what he does. ( I cheated just a hair on the numbers lol)

Old 09-28-2020, 07:33 AM
yobtaf103
Road Master
Received 274 Likes on 176 Posts

Hey, Heatwave, I want to be you when I grow up ... almost literally. I feel very fortunate to find this thread, because I saw your dyno chart on the FM University site and I've been planning a built to emulate it. I wasn't sure what injectors or oil pump you used. Now I know!

Question, if you were to do it again, would you do anything different? Do you still feel good about the H-D oil pump? I was planning to get the S&S pump and plate just to be on the safe side, but if you're doing well with the H-D part, that will save about $500, as you mentioned.

Thanks! By the way, my build will be in a Heritage Softail
Yep he used the 2020 HD pump, but not so easy to emulate his results as you got a softail & exhaust is critical in any combo, a lot of 2-1 pipes for softail can produce dip in early tq & not just the cheaper end of the market
The most impressive pipe set up i've seen is a 2-2!