Sponsored by:

Trouble Finding Neutral

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 07:41 AM
Karen Marie
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Neutral HELP !!!

It is very difficult to find Neutral on my 2018 Harley Fatboy. The dealer said I need to have the bike warm up. I rode over 50 miles yesterday and it will not go into Neutral. He also said the bike needs to be broken in. It has 700 miles on it. Finally he suggested, shut the bike off, turn the ignition back on and find it. Any help would be great!

Old 06-29-2020, 08:03 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Karen Marie
It is very difficult to find Neutral on my 2018 Harley Fatboy. The dealer said I need to have the bike warm up. I rode over 50 miles yesterday and it will not go into Neutral. He also said the bike needs to be broken in. It has 700 miles on it. Finally he suggested, shut the bike off, turn the ignition back on and find it. Any help would be great!
I think your dealer is mostly correct. 700 Miles is a period when the bike is tight all over. They take a long time to break in. Give it many thousands. As miles add up, the shifting should get easier.

However, if you are a seasoned rider with lots of experience on several motorcycles, then you will know whether you've got an actual problem with the transmission and its shift linkage. Shifting problems are usually associated with adjustments. How high you have to lift your toe to make the lever actuate the gears. Making small changes to the lever height can really matter. This takes mucho experimentation. At over 2 years and 35k miles on my 2018 RGU I am STILL making adjustments to the thing to make it better. And, if you ever go in for service and the tech removes your shift lever to access something else, expect to have to go through the adjustments again, because he probably will make no effort to put it back exactly where it was.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:34 AM
ole_phart
Road Master

Received 584 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Karen Marie
When you get your 1k service, ask them to put this in the transmission. Real gear oil will make a huge difference.

The following users liked this post:
A1A (07-01-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 07:34 PM
cj24
Road Master
Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Before you do anything remove the derby cover and check the primary fluid level. Proper fill is when the bike is upright the fluid should just barely touch the clutch basket. If it's over filled it makes finding neutral much harder. If it's over filled (primary) check the transmission fluid level, if it's low then you have the typical fluid transfer problem.
I am trying to lessen the first gear clunk as much as possible. Per manual .. the fill for my M8 is at arrow. The red line is my current fill... are you suggesting to fill at blue line? Anyone? Thanks!

Old 12-15-2020, 07:54 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,683 Likes on 4,486 Posts

Originally Posted by cj24
I am trying to lessen the first gear clunk as much as possible. Per manual .. the fill for my M8 is at arrow. The red line is my current fill... are you suggesting to fill at blue line? Anyone? Thanks!

yours is fine, close enough and not an exact science

Old 12-15-2020, 08:58 PM
ken6217
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Mind is hard to find as well, but usually works better going from 2nd than 1st. You have to basically tap it down gently and finesse it. It also helps if you give it a slight rev as you do it.

I dont think the oil makes any difference. I had the same issue using the oil that came with the bike and the gear oil that I put in after the 1000 mile service.

Old 12-15-2020, 09:14 PM
cj24
Road Master
Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Mine shifts smooth and easy to find neutral. Just trying to limit the plates sticking and first gear clunk.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:05 AM
Cold Forged
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Replacing the sloppy stock shifter linkage with one that has Heim Joints made a big improvement in finding neutral.
I then replaced my tranny and primary fluid with Formula +
I wouldn't have thought that would make such a difference over 20W50 Synthetic, but it did!!!
Shifting into first gear after startup is also much quieter and smoother now with the Formula +.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:40 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,683 Likes on 4,486 Posts

Originally Posted by Cold Forged
Replacing the sloppy stock shifter linkage with one that has Heim Joints made a big improvement in finding neutral.
I then replaced my tranny and primary fluid with Formula +
I wouldn't have thought that would make such a difference over 20W50 Synthetic, but it did!!!
Shifting into first gear after startup is also much quieter and smoother now with the Formula +.
always one of the first mods....Formula + has proven itself over a couple of decades now, and all I ever used in trans and primary until this year switched to HD 80W140 and it performs great in trans and primary as well, sticking with it but nothing wrong at all with F+ for both

Old 12-16-2020, 09:43 AM
ole_phart
Road Master

Received 584 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by cj24
Is it when you're first starting out for the day? If so, press and release the clutch about 4 times before shifting into 1st. It works for me and snicks right in there without a clunk that wakes up the neighbors.

Quick Reply: Trouble Finding Neutral