Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on "matching bikes, one hot, one not.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 07:24 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,637 Likes on 4,678 Posts

I never knew that oil needed to be stabilized before I saw those scientific displays at the auto parts store...

They may sell great motor oil or gear lube, but I don`t buy anything from a company that sells snake oil.

Old 08-20-2020, 07:43 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,768 Likes on 3,146 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
I never knew that oil needed to be stabilized before I saw those scientific displays at the auto parts store...

They may sell great motor oil or gear lube, but I don`t buy anything from a company that sells snake oil.
That stabilizer and that display he posted has been around since the '80s. That is how they got their start. Products like Power Punch! and Lucas were all the rage back then. I don't even see the stabilizer on shelves any longer (I am sure they still have it)
Lucas has evolved, and have good products. Don't lose faith.

Old 08-20-2020, 11:29 AM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 273 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by dajogejr
I think the "dramatic increase" is placebo effect.
Lucas oil has been around forever...and we've all seen the white plastic wheels and manual hand crank demo device.
Good marketing ploy...and if we end up with bikes/cars that have plastic gears and can turn a few rpm a minute (as fast as you can turn that crank by hand), along with generating zero heat, it would be an oil savior.

But...it's not relevant.

In case you live under a rock, here it is.

Ah yes folks, once again our HD Forum police and fuel additive experts have saved all of us beer money by exposing capitalist advertising tactics of "Big Oil". Or was it fuel additive. These keyboard engineers have saved us pennies on "snake oil" purchases. Never mind that this product is carried on shelves in every auto part store in the country. They are content to pour Syn 3 into all three holes because the Moco sells it and sign up for their 5 year warranty to protect themselves from dead batteries. Yes folks, we can all sleep better knowing these sleuths have got our backs.

Old 08-20-2020, 11:56 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,851 Likes on 4,573 Posts

Originally Posted by Two Lane Tramp
Ah yes folks, once again our HD Forum police and fuel additive experts have saved all of us beer money by exposing capitalist advertising tactics of "Big Oil". Or was it fuel additive. These keyboard engineers have saved us pennies on "snake oil" purchases. Never mind that this product is carried on shelves in every auto part store in the country. They are content to pour Syn 3 into all three holes because the Moco sells it and sign up for their 5 year warranty to protect themselves from dead batteries. Yes folks, we can all sleep better knowing these sleuths have got our backs.
Hostess Twinkies are carried on every supermarket shelf in our country..additives are largely marketing snake oil money makers and unnecessary for most applications..Chevron Techron is one exception

Old 08-20-2020, 02:16 PM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 879 Likes on 518 Posts

Actually, the whole forum is thankful for letting us know of ALL those other thousands of products on the shelves are snake oil but you've found the golden unicorn that you pour in a gas tank that magically quiets a motor's valve train, which it never touches.

The irony in you calling me a forum police, yet acting like your magic in the bottle can possibly do what it says...if down right funny.
Then assuming Syn3 is the choice for all...even better.

I think I need to buy stock, any company with a fuel additive that somehow affects oil affected parts clearly is using technology unheard of by any of those other companies putting products on the shelves everywhere.

Look, you wanna claim putting that bottle in you gas tank allows you to date super models, golf a scratch game and have a full head of hair...so be it.
But c'mon... Fuel additive quieting down valvetrain?

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 03:25 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 273 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by dajogejr
Actually, the whole forum is thankful for letting us know of ALL those other thousands of products on the shelves are snake oil but you've found the golden unicorn that you pour in a gas tank that magically quiets a motor's valve train, which it never touches.

The irony in you calling me a forum police, yet acting like your magic in the bottle can possibly do what it says...if down right funny.
Then assuming Syn3 is the choice for all...even better.

I think I need to buy stock, any company with a fuel additive that somehow affects oil affected parts clearly is using technology unheard of by any of those other companies putting products on the shelves everywhere.

Look, you wanna claim putting that bottle in you gas tank allows you to date super models, golf a scratch game and have a full head of hair...so be it.
But c'mon... Fuel additive quieting down valvetrain?

Actually the forum is grateful when someone with expertise in air
cooled engines shares bits of inexpensive knowledge prolonging engine life and performance. Then comes some smarmy *** who tries to mock them by misquoting and innuendo's. I posted twice the parts affected which you choose to ignore. Unless you can provide me with an engineering degree in lubrications your opinion is garbage.

Old 08-20-2020, 03:33 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,637 Likes on 4,678 Posts

Ah yes folks, once again our HD Forum police and fuel additive experts have saved all of us beer money by exposing capitalist advertising tactics
Because someone doesn`t buy into your sales pitch is no reason to resort to name calling.

You made a post extolling the properties of some stuff you dumped into your gas tank, I asked you a question and you responded with what looks like a sales pitch for the product.

It`s a public forum and everyone can voice their opinion, were you expecting everyone to buy into your post?

Have a nice day.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 08-20-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:34 PM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,820 Likes on 2,455 Posts

One of the main things that keeps an engine cool is fuel. The un-burnt gas entering the engine helps cool the crown of the piston and a correct mixture doesn't burn as hot as a lean mixture.

Old 08-20-2020, 04:10 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,330 Likes on 3,561 Posts

Lucas does make good products, no doubt. The OP's claim of a quieter valvetrain coming from a product poured in gasoline is his perception, however misguided. The physics just aren't there. All the clattery bits of the valvetrain are not going to be improved by anything burned in the combustion chamber. Nothing else to say about that.

The following 2 users liked this post by strych9:
dajogejr (08-20-2020), NorthWestern (08-22-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 04:31 PM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 879 Likes on 518 Posts

[QUOTE=Two Lane Tramp;19341006]
#2 Put 2 ounces of Lucas top end lubricant per tank. It keeps the valve train quiet and I think it helps it to run cooler.
/QUOTE]

I don't want to accused of misquoting, so here. Since you're an expert in air cooled engines and lubrication, explain how the top end lube passing through valves quiets valve train. I'm not the only one calling you out on it, so let's hear it.
If top end lube somehow quiets the opening and closing noise of the intake valves against the seat...we'd all love to know how you isolated this as a noise you could hear and how it could quiet it.

Please enlighten us. That's not being smarmy, that's asking for facts. Let's hear 'em.
While you're at it, post up all the engine failures for running loaded down two up because octane booster wasn't used.
I'm not saying the engines aren't lean from the factory, but show us proof of failures while you're at it.
How about some dyno or other failure point numbers, seat of the pants doesn't make it fact. Placebo, doesn't make it fact.

Originally Posted by strych9
Lucas does make good products, no doubt. The OP's claim of a quieter valvetrain coming from a product poured in gasoline is his perception, however misguided. The physics just aren't there. All the clattery bits of the valvetrain are not going to be improved by anything burned in the combustion chamber. Nothing else to say about that.
Thank you. My point exactly.

And other's pointed out the same.
I will concede 100% OP's first point. TwinCooled blows hot air right on your foot/leg if your road pegs are lower than the exhaust holes in the lower fairings...kinda sucks, but oh well.

Last edited by dajogejr; 08-20-2020 at 04:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Update on "matching bikes, one hot, one not.