Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on "matching bikes, one hot, one not.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 07:30 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 271 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Update on "matching bikes, one hot, one not.

Just rode both bikes to Sturgis and then Idaho. The wives came along with all the luggage so both bikes were loaded to the max. We rode about 3700 miles and I have to say both bikes held up very well. I did learn a few things. #1 Lower your Hwy pegs below lower fairing vent. It blows hot air from fans on your leg.
#2 Put 2 ounces of Lucas top end lubricant per tank. It keeps the valve train quiet and I think it helps it to run cooler.
#3 Use octane booster when you can find it. These bikes run too lean stock and need a richer mix.
I wont change anything on the bike until after warranty, but when it gets close I am going to make them do a bleed down test to check if it's within specs. If it is not I will demand a new top end. If it meets specs I will do a stage 2 along with new headers. My friends bike runs hot also, the fan simply does not run as long.
On another note, I did get some good ideas on an oil cooler. Ran into a fellow from Florida that runs an extra hose through crash bar and drills vents in it. It increases capacity and helps cool oil. Add a larger oil pump and you are set. Going to check that out soon as it would not affect warranty

Old 08-19-2020, 10:35 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,564 Likes on 4,644 Posts

Originally Posted by Two Lane Tramp
#2 Put 2 ounces of Lucas top end lubricant per tank. It keeps the valve train quiet and I think it helps it to run cooler.
How would adding lube to fuel tank do anything to quiet the valve train?

The following 2 users liked this post by Dan89FLSTC:
AliensilverFXDBI (08-20-2020), smitty901 (08-25-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 10:52 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,385 Likes on 11,178 Posts

Originally Posted by dan89flstc
how would adding lube to fuel tank do anything to quiet the valve train?
🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Old 08-19-2020, 10:58 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,700 Likes on 4,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
but wait, that's not all! it's a valve train lubricant AND a dessert topping!

The following 3 users liked this post by mjwebb:
bradsULtd (08-19-2020), MTBIG G (08-19-2020), smitty901 (08-25-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 01:31 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts
Question

Just rode both bikes to Sturgis and then Idaho. The wives came along with all the luggage so both bikes were loaded to the max. We rode about 3700 miles and I have to say both bikes held up very well. I did learn a few things. #1 Lower your Hwy pegs below lower fairing vent. It blows hot air from fans on your leg.
#3 Use octane booster when you can find it. These bikes run too lean stock and need a richer mix.
I wont change anything on the bike until after warranty, but when it gets close I am going to make them do a bleed down test to check if it's within specs. If it is not I will demand a new top end. If it meets specs I will do a stage 2 along with new headers. My friends bike runs hot also, the fan simply does not run as long.
On another note, I did get some good ideas on an oil cooler. Ran into a fellow from Florida that runs an extra hose through crash bar and drills vents in it. It increases capacity and helps cool oil. Add a larger oil pump and you are set. Going to check that out soon as it would not affect warranty
What two bikes did you ride?

Old 08-19-2020, 01:33 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master

By lubricating. As advertised it cleans and lubricates injectors,fuel pumps, valve seats, compression rings, combustion chambers, and upper cylinder walls. I have used this product along with many friends on multiple bikes and air cooled engines. I have noticed dramatic improvement in sound and performance. As far as heat reduction, what causes heat? Friction of course. Lubrication as we all know reduces friction. Don't knock it until you have tried it.
Both bikes are 2020 Road Glide Limited 114.

Old 08-19-2020, 04:05 PM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 872 Likes on 514 Posts

How does fuel in the combustion chamber make it into the valve train?
Fuel intake/inlet, yes.
Cylinders, rings, walls...sure.

But actual valvetrain, as it pertains to rockers, lifters, pushrods, etc.
This is where any kind of valvetrain noise will come from.

I'm all ears on how this happens through the fuels system.

Old 08-19-2020, 04:23 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,564 Likes on 4,644 Posts

By lubricating
Since the valve train is lubricated by the oil system, how does adding something to the fuel lubricate the valve train?

Answer: It does not.

Old 08-19-2020, 04:40 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master

By lubricating. As advertised it cleans and lubricates injectors,fuel pumps, valve seats, compression rings, combustion chambers, and upper cylinder walls. I have used this product along with many friends on multiple bikes and air cooled engines. I have noticed dramatic improvement in sound and performance. As far as heat reduction, what causes heat? Friction of course. Lubrication as we all know reduces friction. Don't knock it until you have tried it.
Both bikes are 2020 Road Glide Limited 114.
Is that not clear enough about what it lubricates. I have found it to reduce top end noise and help my engine to run more efficiently and am not alone. If you don't agree then don't use it, simple

Old 08-20-2020, 04:38 AM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 872 Likes on 514 Posts

I think the "dramatic increase" is placebo effect.
Lucas oil has been around forever...and we've all seen the white plastic wheels and manual hand crank demo device.
Good marketing ploy...and if we end up with bikes/cars that have plastic gears and can turn a few rpm a minute (as fast as you can turn that crank by hand), along with generating zero heat, it would be an oil savior.

But...it's not relevant.

In case you live under a rock, here it is.

Quick Reply: Update on "matching bikes, one hot, one not.