Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, what is the usual drill for straight pipes and cam?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 05:57 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,732 Likes on 3,258 Posts

Couple of thoughts:

- Twin cams don't like straight pipes. M8's like them even less (not enough back pressure for good bottom end)

- If you want to keep your Harley powertrain warranty intact you're stuck with using their tuner. That's the reality, no matter how un- American it sounds

Old 08-19-2020, 07:23 PM
FarmerHolland
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
Couple of thoughts:

- Twin cams don't like straight pipes. M8's like them even less (not enough back pressure for good bottom end)

- If you want to keep your Harley powertrain warranty intact you're stuck with using their tuner. That's the reality, no matter how un- American it sounds
Does the Twin Cam or M8 hate Vance & Hines short-shots? Can pipes be tuned to put out the correct back pressure?

Old 08-19-2020, 08:49 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by FarmerHolland
Does the Twin Cam or M8 hate Vance & Hines short-shots? Can pipes be tuned to put out the correct back pressure?
And if you want to stay compliant, pipes without catalytic converters are a no go.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:57 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,108 Likes on 17,550 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
First thing to do to tune it would be to remove the straight pipes and put them in the trash.
You have no idea the number of times I've had that conversation with spanking new owners and bitching their bike won't run right after installing straight pipes, had a couple guys I thought were going to trade hands with me over it they got so pissed not being told what they wanted to hear.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:09 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,635 Likes on 3,086 Posts

Harley says performance valve springs are required for its own SE cam:
Okay.
You've got it all figured out.

Not sure why you asked about aftermarket.

Old 08-20-2020, 03:15 AM
FarmerHolland
Intermediate

Originally Posted by teedoff65
And if you want to stay compliant, pipes without catalytic converters are a no go.
Here is my sneaky idea: I would keep the original exhaust at home. I would ride with no-cat pipes. If I should ever have to bring the bike into the shop under a warranty claim, the original exhaust would be swapped out again.
Can Harley be easily fooled?

Old 08-20-2020, 07:30 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,108 Likes on 17,550 Posts

Here is my sneaky idea: I would keep the original exhaust at home. I would ride with no-cat pipes. If I should ever have to bring the bike into the shop under a warranty claim, the original exhaust would be swapped out again.
Can Harley be easily fooled?
And soon as they hook up the laptop to read the CPU which they do with every bike that comes in it will snitch you out because your readings history will be so far out of spec. You cannot get around the snitch ware in these things anymore. Worse part is it isn't the dealer, the program automatically sends everything to the moco through the internet and your **** get flagged there.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:51 AM
FarmerHolland
Intermediate
Unhappy

So the new Harley customer is paying a crapload a money to get spied on by Moco.

Old 08-20-2020, 11:01 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,068 Posts

OMG not another "how can I scam harley" thread......Either you need to keep your warranty and that's ok...., or you dont and are fine dealing with the consequences. Its very simple.

The following 4 users liked this post by teedoff65:
mjwebb (08-20-2020), pei_guy (08-30-2020), SoCaRider (08-20-2020), strych9 (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 11:41 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,252 Likes on 3,546 Posts

As I always say: if you can't afford to push it off a cliff, don't modify it. Warranty is no longer a guarantee if you do.

Now, that said...straight pipes on an M8 are untunable. All your bottom-end torque goes straight out the tailpipe.

You have to determine your goal: all-out performance, or compromise performance for personal preference? Do you care about warranty? If so, true performance is only marginally achievable. It would seem you are conflicted on those points. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Ok, what is the usual drill for straight pipes and cam?