Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, what is the usual drill for straight pipes and cam?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 12:20 PM
FarmerHolland
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Ok, what is the usual drill for straight pipes and cam?

I understand with a cam, new valves springs, and maybe quickie pushrods, are in order and the engine will need some kind of professional tuning, whatever that entails. On an M8, is the Hawg dealer the best bet for an engine hop-up or an independent cycle shop? What's the usual round robin for cam and pipes on a new Harley-Davidson M8? Is J&P Cycles your Hawg Hop-up Headquarters? The J&P video dude suggests a new oil pump and better tappet anti-rotation devices when the cam is done. The guy in the bottom video looks and sounds like a total nerd. Here's the thing, I like the looks of the stock Harley air cleaner: is that a major performance handicap? Whatever I do, I don't want to void the Harley warranty. Will Vance-Hines straight pipes hurt the H-D warranty?

Last edited by FarmerHolland; 08-19-2020 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:28 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,515 Likes on 11,220 Posts

Depends upon your budget.
Dealers will now only do EPA compliant components.
If price was no object to ship the bike back & forth, I’d send it to Fuelmoto.

But, I’m pretty happy with my HD Torque cam done by my dealer.

if you want a non EPA compliant, and are OK violating your warranty, go with a local reputable independent.

Old 08-19-2020, 12:47 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,768 Likes on 3,146 Posts

You don't need new springs with every cam.

Fuel Moto is the place to go

Old 08-19-2020, 03:30 PM
FarmerHolland
Intermediate
Angry

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Depends upon your budget.
Dealers will now only do EPA compliant components.
If price was no object to ship the bike back & forth, I’d send it to Fuelmoto.

But, I’m pretty happy with my HD Torque cam done by my dealer.

if you want a non EPA compliant, and are OK violating your warranty, go with a local reputable independent.
It's not American to choke the Harley-Davidson Freedom Machines with "EPA compliance". It's rather Communistic if you ask me.
I'd have to wear my Krowt helmet with a swastika while riding in protest! Let the Eagle fly untethered!! I live in Oklahoma. No emissions
checks in this state. This ain't Commie-fornia.

Last edited by FarmerHolland; 08-19-2020 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:52 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,851 Likes on 4,573 Posts

Originally Posted by FarmerHolland
It's not American to choke the Harley-Davidson Freedom Machines with "EPA compliance". It's rather Communistic if you ask me.
I'd have to wear my Krowt helmet with a swastika while riding in protest! Let the Eagle fly untethered!! I live in Oklahoma. No emissions
checks in this state. This ain't Commie-fornia.
please add automobiles, outboard engines, and and and , etc. etc. etc......to your rant...how about HD figures out how to make affordable high performance EPA compliant engines like every other engine manufacturer on the planet has? just a thought..they actually can, but then they couldn't sell performance upgrades on the side and would go bankrupt

The following users liked this post:
Dynamick (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 04:09 PM
FarmerHolland
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
You don't need new springs with every cam.

Fuel Moto is the place to go
Harley says performance valve springs are required for its own SE cam:

Screamin' Eagle SE8-515 Cam - Milwaukee-Eight Engine

$199.95
Part Number: 25400201

The SE8-515 Cam is designed in conjunction with the system-matched components contained in the Screamin’ Eagle® Stage IV Kit. The cam’s high lift and long duration profile is ideal for opening the valves to efficiently fill the combustion chamber of larger displacement engines.

• Adding fuel/air volume in the cylinder yields a more powerful combustion event and results in more power and significantly more torque delivered to the rear wheel
• Feel harder acceleration off the line and more mid-range and high RPM horsepower
• High-lift cams are engineered with Harley-Davidson®’s cam dynamics testing
• Maintain quiet operation and have seamless integration with the engine’s valvetrain components
• To accommodate the extended lift, Performance Valve Springs (P/N 18100080) must be installed

If the rocker boxes have to be opened up anyway, would the dealer keep the original solid pushrods upon request? I think solid pushrods are safer than lash adjustable.
The original rods and tubes could be kept. The Hawg dealer would do my cam job to maintain the warranty. They would tune the motor accordingly.

Last edited by FarmerHolland; 08-19-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:16 PM
FarmerHolland
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mjwebb
please add automobiles, outboard engines, and and and , etc. etc. etc......to your rant...how about HD figures out how to make affordable high performance EPA compliant engines like every other engine manufacturer on the planet has? just a thought..they actually can, but then they couldn't sell performance upgrades on the side and would go bankrupt
the one that really gets my goat is putting CA smog stuff on lawn mowers...how asinine

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 05:24 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,851 Likes on 4,573 Posts

the one that really gets my goat is putting CA smog stuff on lawn mowers...how asinine
that Commiefornication crap is BS for sure!

Old 08-19-2020, 05:48 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,511 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Harley says performance valve springs are required for its own SE cam:

Screamin' Eagle SE8-515 Cam - Milwaukee-Eight Engine

$199.95
Part Number: 25400201

The SE8-515 Cam is designed in conjunction with the system-matched components contained in the Screamin’ Eagle® Stage IV Kit. The cam’s high lift and long duration profile is ideal for opening the valves to efficiently fill the combustion chamber of larger displacement engines.

• Adding fuel/air volume in the cylinder yields a more powerful combustion event and results in more power and significantly more torque delivered to the rear wheel
• Feel harder acceleration off the line and more mid-range and high RPM horsepower
• High-lift cams are engineered with Harley-Davidson®’s cam dynamics testing
• Maintain quiet operation and have seamless integration with the engine’s valvetrain components
• To accommodate the extended lift, Performance Valve Springs (P/N 18100080) must be installed

If the rocker boxes have to be opened up anyway, would the dealer keep the original solid pushrods upon request? I think solid pushrods are safer than lash adjustable.
The original rods and tubes could be kept. The Hawg dealer would do my cam job to maintain the warranty. They would tune the motor accordingly.
Some camshafts will require springs BUT they will also require different pistons as well. So if your looking at a bolt in camshaft for an OEM 107,114 or 117 then you most likely will not require valve springs. If you are only looking at HD parts to keep a warranty then the same applies

Old 08-19-2020, 05:53 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,031 Likes on 3,076 Posts

First thing to do to tune it would be to remove the straight pipes and put them in the trash.

The following 3 users liked this post by RANGER73:
deadhawg (08-20-2020), PFWiz (08-21-2020), TwiZted Biker (08-19-2020)

Quick Reply: Ok, what is the usual drill for straight pipes and cam?