Sponsored by:

Primary inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 03:29 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,523 Likes on 4,073 Posts

Originally Posted by Harrybeerbelly
The narrow cover sounds interesting. Do you have a part number? pics?

The parts sites say your bike AND the Ultra Limited Low have the same primary cover, part #25700418... so you already have the narrow cover used on the "low" bikes... I know in the twin cam line, all the touring bikes got the "low" narrow cover in 2016... they probably continued that for the M8 bikes...

A couple of FWIW tips....

I got into a habit, when working on my bikes, cars, and boat... Anytime I disassemble something, I use a thread chaser on the bolts and mounting holes to ensure they are clean.. that lessens the chance of an "issue" during reassembly. I also use a compressor to blow out any blind holes before reassembly.. It will remove any oil trapped in the blind hole that can cause a hydro lock condition, that can crack a case at the blind hole...

I have an OEM HD primary cover gasket on my 2016 Ultra Classic. I have had the primary cover off 3 times, and reused the same gasket, with no leaks... I bought a new gasket the first time, but decided to reuse the old one until it leaked... The new gasket is still on the shelf..

Have fun working on your bike... I always do..!

The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
Campy Roadie (01-18-2021), skratch (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 03:48 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,592 Likes on 3,838 Posts

???? You sound like someone who will be asking the question were did this puddle of oil came grom this spring. So save yourself from asking by adding some of that florescent yellow oil dye when you go back together.

Old 12-28-2020, 05:27 AM
jake24lt
Road Warrior
Received 1,310 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Harrybeerbelly
I also plan on doing the head bearing. I am starting this complete maintenance with the engine,trans and primary fluid change. I was thinking while the primary is empty pull the cover and have a look. If everything appears to be good I will check the fastener torque values and button it back up.

Found gaskets at a good price. https://cycogasket.com/cy25700564.html Anyone use Cyco gaskets?
Not sure if cheap is were you want to go. Their last catalog release is going on 5 years ago. That should tell you something.

Old 12-28-2020, 05:55 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,753 Likes on 1,564 Posts

It's a good idea to have a outer primary gasket on hand, but like Scratch said, you can reuse the OEM gasket again without any problems if you're careful with it. I've reused my current one probably 5-6 times. It's a quality metal core gasket.

That said, if you're really going to dig into it, have a T-70 and a 200+ pound torque wrench ready for the Compensator and a 100+ pound counter clockwise capable torque wrench for the clutch hub.

The following users liked this post:
Harrybeerbelly (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 06:07 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,505 Likes on 3,334 Posts

I was thinking of removing mine a few weeks ago while I was changing fluids then I said why...then I looked at the bolts behind my foot boards looking at the lines and everything in the way... I said screw that , it runs fine.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 06:58 AM
Harrybeerbelly
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
The parts sites say your bike AND the Ultra Limited Low have the same primary cover, part #25700418... so you already have the narrow cover used on the "low" bikes... I know in the twin cam line, all the touring bikes got the "low" narrow cover in 2016... they probably continued that for the M8 bikes...

A couple of FWIW tips....

I got into a habit, when working on my bikes, cars, and boat... Anytime I disassemble something, I use a thread chaser on the bolts and mounting holes to ensure they are clean.. that lessens the chance of an "issue" during reassembly. I also use a compressor to blow out any blind holes before reassembly.. It will remove any oil trapped in the blind hole that can cause a hydro lock condition, that can crack a case at the blind hole...

I have an OEM HD primary cover gasket on my 2016 Ultra Classic. I have had the primary cover off 3 times, and reused the same gasket, with no leaks... I bought a new gasket the first time, but decided to reuse the old one until it leaked... The new gasket is still on the shelf..

Have fun working on your bike... I always do..!

Thanks for sharing this great information.

Old 12-28-2020, 07:03 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

I wouldn't remove the cover just to look. I will make up an excuse. First time I pulled mine, it was to replace the clutch friction plates, because I was curious how badly worn the originals were after 30k miles of heavy use. After I got the plates in and everything put back together, I measured the thickness of the old plates. They had some wear, but were still good to go for many more miles. I replaced "too soon" for sure, but now have some peace of mind knowing my clutch won't likely start slipping out in the middle of nowhere. New set of friction plates cost a little under $200 at the dealer. Don't forget the three coil springs, cost around $10 each.

Old 01-17-2021, 04:11 PM
Harrybeerbelly
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Okay so I finally received the gaskets and tools. Shipping these days takes forever. BTW the Cyco gaskets appear to be high quality ( I have no affiliation with the company) I will replace the gasket.

No surprises inside. Everything looked good, all fasteners were at proper torque. Very little wear on the tensioner pad. There was also nice slack in the chain so it was not being over tightened.

I was thinking about going to a Hayden tensioner while I had it apart. I read a lot of positive reviews on them. Then I read a bunch of negative reviews.
Then I got to thinking I had absolutely no problems or noises with the primary. So now Im thinking the Harley tensioner will go back in. It appears to have a lot of miles left.

Waste of time? Maybe for some but not for me. I enjoyed getting inside and now knowing the bike is good for another 30k.

The following 2 users liked this post by Harrybeerbelly:
hattitude (01-17-2021), sixguns (01-17-2021)