Sponsored by:

Show me your tool combo for p clamp exhaust bolt

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 11:13 PM
freakfxr
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
When I get to the shop in the morning I’ll show exactly which tools we use to tighten this clamp and take some images with one of our shop bikes.
Thanks, this is the info I need. I appreciate it. And to you who is brewing coffee, save me a cup...I have a nie SK 1/4" drive set and a snap on 1/4" ratchet too. I've used this stuff more times than I ever thought i would. Invaluable for heat shield clamps and such. I couldn't imagine using a flat head screwdriver to do all those clamps...

Old 01-13-2021, 12:02 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,607 Likes on 3,851 Posts

Originally Posted by freakfxr
The Klein might work. The wrenches I have like that are too long to actually do much. I'll look into those. Thanks. As far as a wobbly, I don't mean an extension taht allow a little movement, I used a full wobble piece to be able to get it on teh nut, and it worked OK, but I figure there is still a better tool for the job. My thinking with the 1/4" drive is that the smaller components will allow more space to get to the nut those allowing more to be tuned although the strength of a 1/4" drive is quite a bit less. I'll keep trying stuff until I find what works best. Thanks for the ideas.
Those and that style of ratchet wrenches require heavy work gloves. My set ended in the back of my tool box. I prefer the forged ones and without a reverse click.(strongest but you do have to flip) I'm careful, so I rarely use that or any ratchet to break or finish tighten anyway.

Old 01-13-2021, 12:19 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,674 Likes on 956 Posts

I guess no one uses a box wrench anymore.

Old 01-13-2021, 06:03 AM
Ironworker69
Grand HDF Member

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,253 Posts

There not space to get the ratcheting full circle around the nut. The cam cover is pretty close. If I had a ratcheting wrench that was open ended, not sure if there is such a thing it might work, but what happens with an open ended wrench is at a certain point the flats won't line up with the wrench. I need a super stubby box end. That would help. Just looking to get everything I need so when I need to mess with this or take it off it will be as simple as possible, and to not scratch my heat shield...anymore. LOL. I'll try the crows foot and the 1/4" drive setup with a wobbly once I get a 1/4" wobbly which I forgot to get today.
Have you tried removing the heat shield

Old 01-13-2021, 06:51 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,634 Likes on 1,535 Posts

Torque adapter?

Or this:

Last edited by barneyboy; 01-13-2021 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:17 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Might have missed it, but what year and model bike is this?

I too wonder what exhaust this is. I just swapped head pipes a few weeks ago and had no issues with that clamp. Not the right deep socket but there is still room to get to it with an extension.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:54 AM
freakfxr
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

This is the Fuel Moto RTX HS exhaust. I have loosened the heatshields and moved them out of the way to allow easier access, however space was still limited with my tools that were on hand, however the minimal amount of clearance requires some sort of specialty tool I do not own yet. Jamie is going to post what they use. This exhaust fits extremely tight and sits nice and high to minimize the chance of front head pipe scrapage. I can tell you that my Cobra power port headers on my 2013 Road Glide (with 13" shocks in place of the stock 12" shocks) has quite a few scrapes on the front head pipe heat shield. I have since swapped that bike to a Bassani Road Rage 2 into 1 and I have also scraped the front head pipe on that bike. So part of the thinking with this RTX is the "high and tight" fitment, along with the fact that I really like the power this and the combo of a cam are putting out on a 114 M8.
These kind of situations are what allow me to learn more bout the best way to go about doing something specific, and the forums are paramount in that as well.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:01 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,341 Posts

There are a lot of different techniques & tools you can use when installing M8 exhaust systems that use a P-clamp at the original location. Various pipes & brands are configured at different heights, some re-use the factory clamp and others (like the Jackpot RTX) include a new clamp as our header primary is much larger than stock. We use the tools and procedures below:

Start the P-clamp nut by hand and once it gets to the clamp use a 1/2" combination wrench to start snugging it up. This takes a little time as you don't get much throw.

If you have already installed the heat shields be sure to mask each of the surfaces, it may be easier in some cases to remove the heat shields and this will prevent marking the Cerakote or chrome surface.

Next I use a 1/2" standard socket with a swivel extension (1/4 drive) and fully tighten the nut.

As an alternative I use a square socket with a combination wrench, this gives plenty of room. This one is a Milwaukee, similar sockets are available from other tool companies and are great for getting in tight areas.

A quick tip is to make sure the factory mounting stud is screwed all the way in, many times this is not screwed in all the way. The stud has a hex on the end, you can use a 1/4" socket

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

The following 3 users liked this post by fuelmoto:
MCSarge (01-13-2021), smitty901 (01-13-2021), Wmitz (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 10:10 AM
Hamps
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

This is the Fuel Moto RTX HS exhaust. I have loosened the heatshields and moved them out of the way to allow easier access, however space was still limited with my tools that were on hand, however the minimal amount of clearance requires some sort of specialty tool I do not own yet. Jamie is going to post what they use. This exhaust fits extremely tight and sits nice and high to minimize the chance of front head pipe scrapage. I can tell you that my Cobra power port headers on my 2013 Road Glide (with 13" shocks in place of the stock 12" shocks) has quite a few scrapes on the front head pipe heat shield. I have since swapped that bike to a Bassani Road Rage 2 into 1 and I have also scraped the front head pipe on that bike. So part of the thinking with this RTX is the "high and tight" fitment, along with the fact that I really like the power this and the combo of a cam are putting out on a 114 M8.
These kind of situations are what allow me to learn more bout the best way to go about doing something specific, and the forums are paramount in that as well.
I too have the RTX and you are correct, it is not easy to get a tool in there. I believe I used a ratchet wrench but could only get maybe 1-2 clicks at a time. Took awhile but got it done.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:56 AM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 446 Likes on 309 Posts

I always leave the heat shields off till everything is assembled and tightened.

Quick Reply: Show me your tool combo for p clamp exhaust bolt