Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 metallic noise when opening throttle

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 02:25 PM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Mine has the small gravel in the fender sound and it started after I did a auto tune session.
That got me looking at the auto tune map which I found, pulled a bunch of fuel from the cruising range. The bike was running really rich which is why I ran an auto tune session. Made a few adjustments to find a happy medium then pulled a little timing from the rear cylinder and now it’s quiet again.

Old 05-23-2022, 02:48 PM
90anlu92
Intermediate
Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
Why not call the dyno place and explain what is happening. I don't study tuning or timing so can't help but maybe they can easily adjust your tune. Looks like you have a relatively good amount of torque starting early which is probably good but might need a timing adjustment to compensate.
One has to look at more than just static compression, the correct corresponding cam and tuning all contribute to a cylinder pressure that works.
Yeah, I'll talk to the shop I bought it from when I bring it in for service next week. Hopefully they can advice on what to do.

Originally Posted by strych9
OldMike has it right. Sounds like fuel enrichment needs to be richened up a bit. Timing is likely ok, but some fuel needs to be added on accel to compensate. A good tuner can correct this.
Roger, I'll talk to the workshop and see what they have to say about it. Maybe they can just make some adjustments and then problem will be solved. I'll come back with an update once I hear what they have to say.

Originally Posted by 702
Has anyone checked to see if the knock sensors were turned back on after the dyno?
Wouldn't the bike ping more than once on every occurence if they were deactivated? The explanation that they are what's limiting it to just the one ping makes sense to me...

Originally Posted by scj
Mine has the small gravel in the fender sound and it started after I did a auto tune session.
That got me looking at the auto tune map which I found, pulled a bunch of fuel from the cruising range. The bike was running really rich which is why I ran an auto tune session. Made a few adjustments to find a happy medium then pulled a little timing from the rear cylinder and now it’s quiet again.
Maybe it really is tuner related... I'll look into it.

Old 05-23-2022, 04:00 PM
Ron Coburn
Intermediate
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

might be detonation maybe bad fuel

Old 05-23-2022, 04:16 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,803 Likes on 2,729 Posts

I just looked back at my Powervision purchase. The first time I heard the “tink tink” was mid October last fall on a trip at about 10,000 miles. I ordered Powervision one week later from Fuel Moto. Have updated the tune several times from them including running some datalogs for them and updating tunes again. “Tink Tink” is still here.

I’m at 17,000 miles now. It’s not bad gas.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:46 PM
flh canuck
Cruiser
Received 234 Likes on 117 Posts

My buddy bought a 2021 Ultra with the 114. He has complained about pinging since the day he bought it. He is a heavy duty mechanic so knows his way around engines. After multiple visits to the dealer, they told him its normal. I said bullshit and suggested he take it to a competent dyno tuner and have it dialed in using an aftermarket tuner.

I test road a 22 Road King Special back to back with a 22 Ultra, both bikes equipped with the 114 and running the same fuel during a test your metal event. The Ultra pinged constantly on acceleration and ran like a piece of crap over all. The Road King Special on the other hand, ran like a finely tuned performance machine. Sounded good, pulled hard to redline and absolutely no pinging. I was amazed that two brand new machines with essentially the same powertrain could run and perform so differently. Maybe one was built on Friday and one was built on Wednesday?

Not sure but I think it was apparent that although both motorcycles featured the same engine, they obviously had very different ecm calibrations. Long story short, a good dyno tuner should be able to eliminate the pinging issue. Mechanically, most M8 engines are similar and run just fine without pinging. Likely your engine needs some timing pulled or more fuel in that area (or a combination of both ). Good luck and hopefully you can get this sorted.

The following 2 users liked this post by flh canuck:
90anlu92 (05-24-2022), gonemad (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 08:58 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by flh canuck
My buddy bought a 2021 Ultra with the 114. He has complained about pinging since the day he bought it. He is a heavy duty mechanic so knows his way around engines. After multiple visits to the dealer, they told him its normal. I said bullshit and suggested he take it to a competent dyno tuner and have it dialed in using an aftermarket tuner.

I test road a 22 Road King Special back to back with a 22 Ultra, both bikes equipped with the 114 and running the same fuel during a test your metal event. The Ultra pinged constantly on acceleration and ran like a piece of crap over all. The Road King Special on the other hand, ran like a finely tuned performance machine. Sounded good, pulled hard to redline and absolutely no pinging. I was amazed that two brand new machines with essentially the same powertrain could run and perform so differently. Maybe one was built on Friday and one was built on Wednesday?

Not sure but I think it was apparent that although both motorcycles featured the same engine, they obviously had very different ecm calibrations. Long story short, a good dyno tuner should be able to eliminate the pinging issue. Mechanically, most M8 engines are similar and run just fine without pinging. Likely your engine needs some timing pulled or more fuel in that area (or a combination of both ). Good luck and hopefully you can get this sorted.
This is kind of what I've expected after chasing this poltergeist for a year and a half..

Back in the early ’70’s I used to drink Carling Black Label beer. It was pretty good. Depending on which day of the week, and where you bought it.

Harley’s have attained that status.

Again.

I’ll shop for another Evo.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:25 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by 90anlu92
Järvsö motors, I'm in Sweden so probably not gonna tell you much but they have a pretty good reputation around here so I hope it's not due to any fault of theirs... But allright, even if it is pinging a little bit of pinging is nothing to worry about? They all do it despite being tuned up and even if it happens every time I give her some throttle beyond slow cruising it's normal and nothing to worry about? I'm just worried about hurting something whenever I hear that damn noise...
The knock sensors sense detonation and retard the timing for a second to eliminate it. I can hear it in my bike depending on what fuel I have purchased (and octane rating), where I am riding, load, and throttle position. You can make your bike ping. The system they use now works better than anything we had in the past. Given if everything in your bike is in working order than you should be good. Ride it!

The following 2 users liked this post by jammerx:
90anlu92 (05-27-2022), gonemad (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 09:34 PM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by gonemad
I just looked back at my Powervision purchase. The first time I heard the “tink tink” was mid October last fall on a trip at about 10,000 miles. I ordered Powervision one week later from Fuel Moto. Have updated the tune several times from them including running some datalogs for them and updating tunes again. “Tink Tink” is still here.

I’m at 17,000 miles now. It’s not bad gas.
I started with a Fuel Moto canned tune as well but it smelled extremely rich but there was no tink, tink. After working on the fuel (VE) tables, I started looking at the front and rear timing tables. The front cylinder looked to have been adjusted quite a bit but the rear was smooth like a canned map from Dynojet and looking at the numbers between the two cylinders, the rear timing tables were higher than the front cylinder tables. The rear cylinder timing table numbers, comparatively, should be lower than the front due to heat. Just like the rear fuel (VE) tables should be higher than the front to help with cooling.

When riding my bike trying to tune the issue out of it, I paid a lot of attention to the rpm and throttle position I was at when it rattled. Usually mine was around 2000 to 2700 rpm’s and 40% and up throttle position; whacking the throttle open in a high gear was the only way I could get it to rattle.
When you look at the VE tables in that area, they’re usually set lower and my assumption is they do that as that’s where your cruising rpm’s are at so you’ll get better fuel mileage.

My take is everything’s a compromise, If I downshifted and didn’t lug it, it was fine but after installing my S&S 485 cam (Star 30/30), who wants to do that with all that low end torque! I tuned mine where I may give up a little fuel mileage but it doesn’t rattle now.

The following users liked this post:
gonemad (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 10:41 PM
NODYNA
Road Warrior
Received 863 Likes on 511 Posts

My favorite gripe about gripe sheets was "8 day clock needs winding". Really it took more time to write it then to wind the damn clock.

Old 05-23-2022, 10:48 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by NODYNA
My favorite gripe about gripe sheets was "8 day clock needs winding". Really it took more time to write it then to wind the damn clock.
yer head is probably gonna hurt in the morning just from writing that.

Quick Reply: M8 metallic noise when opening throttle