Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Loss Of Use Coverage - Accident

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 07:48 PM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts
Question Loss Of Use Coverage - Accident

I was wondering how loss of use coverage generally works on a bike. I was in a accident last night with the wife. We were rear ended by a kid. He is at fault (3-4 police officers witnessed it even). Anyway, I have up to $1435 ($45 a day) for loss of use on my 14' Street Glide Special, but I will be going after his insurance. I assume there is no limit on the amount when his is paying (he's at fault) (if he has insurance). There's a good chance I'll need a complete frame (rear left frame rail looks bent after shock) as well as bags, fender, lids, which are all the upgraded Harley paint (Daytona Blue Pearl) with graphics. So I am guessing 4-6 weeks out or more just to get parts to be put back on it. If a rental bike from Harley runs $120 a day times 7 days a week, that could add up fast.

Is there insurance going to jack me around and say I only get $1k or something stupid like that? I live in MN as well. I'll probably get a hold of my insurance person and ask them what should happen, hopefully my own insurance will be honest about it.I kinda hope it would just get totaled. By the time it would get fixed over half of summer will be gone.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:39 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,304 Likes on 8,404 Posts

Originally Posted by load97
I was wondering how loss of use coverage generally works on a bike. I was in a accident last night with the wife. We were rear ended by a kid. He is at fault (3-4 police officers witnessed it even). Anyway, I have up to $1435 ($45 a day) for loss of use on my 14' Street Glide Special, but I will be going after his insurance. I assume there is no limit on the amount when his is paying (he's at fault) (if he has insurance). There's a good chance I'll need a complete frame (rear left frame rail looks bent after shock) as well as bags, fender, lids, which are all the upgraded Harley paint (Daytona Blue Pearl) with graphics. So I am guessing 4-6 weeks out or more just to get parts to be put back on it. If a rental bike from Harley runs $120 a day times 7 days a week, that could add up fast.

Is there insurance going to jack me around and say I only get $1k or something stupid like that? I live in MN as well. I'll probably get a hold of my insurance person and ask them what should happen, hopefully my own insurance will be honest about it.I kinda hope it would just get totaled. By the time it would get fixed over half of summer will be gone.
The first thing you will need is an estimate to provide to the insurance company. Here`s the rub, at least according to my experience of a woman pulling out in front of me a couple of years ago. I had to go to a Harley dealer for the estimate. In my opinion the damage wasn`t all that bad, but the dealer tacked on everything it could list in order to total the bike. I went to another Harley dealer and they did the same thing. I truly believe that HD MOCO instructs its dealers to do everything they can to total a wrecked bike, so they can sell a new one. In my mind there was NO WAY my bike should have been totaled. So, I got screwed because I had already made payments on it for over a year in the amount of about $4K. If I wanted to keep the bike it would have to be titled as "salvage", and I would have been upside down on my payments. So, I had to take the loss. As it worked out, between the loss of use claim for the extended warranty I had, and the small amount of return I got from the payoff difference to the loan company, I broke even or just a little bit better. I was fortunate in that the woman`s insurance paid for the bike and my medical bills. If you have a problem with the other party`s insurance from the get go, I would contact a lawyer pronto. Good luck......

Old 05-28-2017, 11:14 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Pretty much as soon as you mention new frame it's a done deal.... totaled.

Hope you come out on top.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

The following users liked this post:
load97 (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 02:58 PM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks guys. Got it to the dealer today. Took a chance on calling the kids insurance company that the officer gave us. (let us take a pic of the card/which was expired). We called his insurance company and were able to track his policy down.He does have insurance still they told us. Looks like through mom and dad. Apparently we were the first they heard of the accident. He or his parents never even called it in yet, which was two days ago. Were waiting on his insurance adjuster to get a hold of us tomorrow, as well as our own insurance company adjuster. Hopefully all goes well. We wanted to take a ride out west to Colorado over the 4th of July, but I doubt that's gonna happen now.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:05 PM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Pretty much as soon as you mention new frame it's a done deal.... totaled.

Hope you come out on top.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters

I could see it being totaled just by the retail value of the bike vs what's damaged, but once they see about 10k in accessories, they would have to pay me out on, I could see them saying no, lets fix it instead. (including new frame etc.) I hope the adjusters aren't dicks.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:44 PM
72 Ironhead XLH
Road Captain
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

And dont forget to mention on how bad you back and neck feel , plus loss of consort too

Old 06-07-2017, 08:38 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member

Right now the bike has rear sub frame damage (bent). So that will have to get replaced. The insurance is trying to figure out if the frame is damaged as well, so that's what holding me up. They don't want to total it for the bent sub frame & swing arm alone (plus painted parts).

Old 06-07-2017, 04:32 PM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

OP's original question was about loss of use. Your policy is the agreement between you and your insurer. If they say you get $45 per day with a limit, that is what you get.
As to the other driver's insurance, in most states, he owes you for a rental for however long you are REASONABLY without a bike, and he should be liable for the rental of a bike similar to the one that was damaged. The other guy's insurance may try to jam you on rental coverage (not uncommon in my experience - I'm a lawyer). If so, talk to a lawyer in your neck of the woods.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:01 PM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member

I wouldn't get the $45 a day from my insurance plus whatever I'd get from his insurance? Is that what you were saying? I'd think it was one or the other? Tomorrow sounds like I'll know what they want to do, and then go from there. I can about guarantee that they'll say they don't have to give me anything for loss of use though.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:05 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member
Received 288 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by load97
I wouldn't get the $45 a day from my insurance plus whatever I'd get from his insurance?
Your insurance would probably require you to repay them if you collect from the other insurance company.

Quick Reply: Loss Of Use Coverage - Accident