Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

I turned 70 and my insurance went way up!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 07:41 AM
47Norton
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default I turned 70 and my insurance went way up!

Just got my this years bill for my Allstate insurance. Motorcycle went up 40%. I bundle my insurance and have a LOT of things on my policies. I've been riding for 57 years without an accident and I am more than a little pissed off, insulted, and probably ego bruised. I guess I will begin the process of shopping new insurance. Maybe I will investigate an age discrimination lawsuit (doubt it would work). Just venting a little. A small rant from and old codger who stills rides motorcycles/bicycles, snow skis, and kayak fishes. Probably in better shape than the analyst sitting at his desk who decided I'm a bad risk.

ps. The 47 in my user name is both my year of birth, and the year and make of my first motorcycle.

Last edited by 47Norton; 06-14-2017 at 07:44 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 47Norton:
deadhawg (11-04-2020), Marsikus (09-28-2020), Wallrider (09-22-2020)
Old 06-14-2017, 07:56 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,249 Likes on 812 Posts

Without failure I've found after several years, the insurance rates start to climb rapidly. The first few years the rate increases are small, but with time it grows.

It's like a pointless game the insurance companies play.

The following users liked this post:
hvacgaspiping (07-19-2020)
Old 06-14-2017, 08:08 AM
Roadtwister
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Neighbor who is about 74, & never had a claim, turned in a $1600.00 claim for his car, when the icy roads out of his drivway, slid his car into a tree. His next insurance bill came & it was increased by about 70%. This appears to saya; we dont want you anymore & we enjoyed your many years of not having a claim. Goodbye if you dont like it.

so there are times, I would just pay it myself, & use the insurance IF you have a very large claim. some companys give you a one claim or two claim forgiveness, if that is what you want to call it, before increasing your rates. sucks b/c that extra $$ could have been some chrome parts for the bike!

Old 06-14-2017, 08:14 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,190 Likes on 5,617 Posts

Let's face it as we age we start to deteriorate. Reflexes get slower, eyesight's not so good, hearing starts to go. Not to mention the mind is not as sharp as it used to be. Of course this doesn't apply to every single person out there, truth be told there are 70 year olds who are in much better shape than I am at 45. But for the most part the majority of 70 year olds should not be riding a motorcycle. Hell, some shouldn't even be driving a car.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bubba Zanetti:
hvacgaspiping (07-19-2020), Wallrider (09-22-2020)
Old 06-14-2017, 08:17 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

As mentioned, the pointless insurance game to extract as much green out of your wallet as possible. Reminds me to double check mine. I usually change carriers every two years due to increases, despite having a spotless record.

The following users liked this post:
hvacgaspiping (07-19-2020)
Old 06-14-2017, 08:19 AM
Mikes145
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts

Dump Allstate, they suck. I had them for about 6 months and they upped the premium when I increased my coverages after having it low for the winter time but never cancelled it. They still couldn't explain why. I told them to shove it and went with Markel. So far it's been good and it's cheaper. No claims yet though. https://www.markelinsurance.com/motorcycle

The following 3 users liked this post by Mikes145:
IsyRider (06-16-2017), KINGLEO (10-22-2020), twoglides13 (07-19-2020)
Old 06-14-2017, 08:28 AM
Ex-Leftcoaster
Banned
Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
As mentioned, the pointless insurance game to extract as much green out of your wallet as possible.
The actuaries crunch all the numbers for these companies by almost everything, including age, gender, ZIP, credit rating, etc. Then the underwriters tack on the profits to set your premiums. Always a win-win for them.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:07 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
I usually change carriers every two years due to increases, despite having a spotless record.
You almost have to anymore. I am at that point with mine. I just lost a roof due to storm damage. First homeowners claim ever and I can't wait to see what that does to the rates.

Vehicle insurance is a racket. It used to be accidents that were not your fault didn't count against you. Now they are referred to as "incidents" and you take a hit for it your fault or not. Both my finance and I have been through this recently.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:27 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,410 Likes on 4,016 Posts

Don't know why everyone is all agro about insurance....

That is what insurance is.... a company agrees to repair/replace whatever it is you insure... they crunch the numbers, there are actuary tables for almost everything, and decide what the risk will be.... they charge enough to offset the risk, and make a profit... of course they account for profit... why would they do it for free.... if it wasn't a win for them, they wouldn't bother with it...

Different companies minimize risk by only insuring in certain geographical areas, certain demographics, certain types of vehicles, and/or only insuring good drivers, etc.

Find a company that markets to your demographic (good driver, trained driver, member of certain associations, etc) and buy their product...

I always shop around every two years or so.... I must have done a good job of picking companies, because I've never found one cheaper... I find one close every now and then, but never cheaper...

Old 06-14-2017, 10:11 AM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,578 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Call them or better yet go in and look them in the eye's and tell them to justify their reason for such an increase and of course threaten to pull all policies you have with them and move on.

rk classic

Quick Reply: I turned 70 and my insurance went way up!