Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Motorcycle Insurance - Which Company?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 02:39 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

I think I'm one of those rare people that keep their bikes for a long time, have a great driving record, no claims, getting older, and so on and so on. I've had my 05 Springer and Progressive insurance for over 13 years now and my premiums have gone down a little each year. There's always a possibility that if I did a search I might be able to save a dollar or two but I'm satisfied with what I have and plan on staying with it but to each their own.

The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (05-16-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 02:50 PM
BTLorys
Banned

Received 2,664 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I'm actually switching back to GMAC in June. Well, as you said they had name changes and now its going to be National General. They're currently the best pricing for me. My renewal for safeco came in and it went up through the roof so I did some shopping around.

For what its worth, if you've been with any insurance company for a few years, sometimes it helps to call up and ask to be re rated. What happens a lot is companies come out with new rating systems, typically giving a lower premium, but only use it for new business. So the renewals are still using the old system, and wont be rated under the (hopefully) new and improved version. If you call up and ask to be re rated, you might find yourself staying with the same company and saving some money. It'll likely be on a new policy number, but that doesn't really mean much.

The following 3 users liked this post by BTLorys:
Buck05 (02-01-2019), Cosmic Razorback (05-16-2018), Homebrew101 (01-23-2019)
Old 05-15-2018, 02:55 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,580 Likes on 3,827 Posts

Progressive All on line and slick

Cosmic Razorback (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 10:59 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,885 Likes on 6,933 Posts

Originally Posted by BTLorys
I'm actually switching back to GMAC in June. Well, as you said they had name changes and now its going to be National General. They're currently the best pricing for me. My renewal for safeco came in and it went up through the roof so I did some shopping around.

For what its worth, if you've been with any insurance company for a few years, sometimes it helps to call up and ask to be re rated. What happens a lot is companies come out with new rating systems, typically giving a lower premium, but only use it for new business. So the renewals are still using the old system, and wont be rated under the (hopefully) new and improved version. If you call up and ask to be re rated, you might find yourself staying with the same company and saving some money. It'll likely be on a new policy number, but that doesn't really mean much.
Thanks that is good information. I guess the only other reason I would chance is this current policy is through a dealership we used many years ago. I have sine purchased two different bikes from other dealerships and they have to call their competitor to transfer my insurance. Then if I go into this dealership they ask why I did not trade bikes with them. Well all but the sales manager who just gives me a nasty look. I would suspect that the higher rate difference is going to the dealer!

Old 05-16-2018, 11:11 AM
BTLorys
Banned

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback

Thanks that is good information. I guess the only other reason I would chance is this current policy is through a dealership we used many years ago. I have sine purchased two different bikes from other dealerships and they have to call their competitor to transfer my insurance. Then if I go into this dealership they ask why I did not trade bikes with them. Well all but the sales manager who just gives me a nasty look. I would suspect that the higher rate difference is going to the dealer!
Anytime! That sounds like a weird situation to begin with... I don't know exactly how the insurance through the dealer is set up, but that would motivate me to move my insurance also. I always recommend using an independent insurance broker as opposed to a direct company (think Geico), but different things work for different people.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:59 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,527 Likes on 2,977 Posts

Markel insurance.

BTW, there's a reason Progressive is called Progressive. Personally I wouldn't give them a penny of my money.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:53 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,885 Likes on 6,933 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk6
Markel insurance.

BTW, there's a reason Progressive is called Progressive. Personally I wouldn't give them a penny of my money.
Yeah thanks for reminding me of that! Good point.

Old 05-24-2018, 04:07 PM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

One word, Merkle Ins.
​​Doubt anyone can beat them but results may vary by state and driving record, huge company you never heard of. Also replacement cost for 3 years on new bikes.
For the life of me I can't understand why someone would stay with an insurance company if they can get better rate someplace else.

Every renewal for my cars, bike and house I check the rates of at least three other companies and I switch as fast as I can type on my keyboard when I find a lower rate.
Sometimes I find a lower rate before my policy is even due to renew and I'll switch. The existing company will send you back a check if you cancel early.
I must have had four to five insurance companies for my home in the last 13 years lowest rate always wins.

Last edited by alarmdoug; 05-24-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:54 AM
BTLorys
Banned

Originally Posted by alarmdoug
For the life of me I can't understand why someone would stay with an insurance company if they can get better rate someplace else.
It's pretty simple... not all insurance companies are equal. If a customer feels that company X has a more valuable product than company Y, they may still go with company X even though it might be more expensive.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:42 AM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by alarmdoug

Every renewal for my cars, bike and house I check the rates of at least three other companies and I switch as fast as I can type on my keyboard when I find a lower rate.
This will serve you well, until you actually need to USE the insurance. When you do, the company will be sure to return to you the loyalty you have had to them.....

YMMV

Lon

BTLorys (05-25-2018)

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Insurance - Which Company?