Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Insurance problems with Progressive on my scoots

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:25 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Insurance problems with Progressive on my scoots

I had Progressive insurance 7 years.....Auto pay and auto renewal via my checking account...7 seamless years with Progressive where they simply took their money and I drove....Then I buy two Harleys.

I called Progressive and attempted to add scoots to my policy....."NOPE, we can't insure your bikes because you don't have a scooter endorsement on your driving license", they say.

I inform them I need a scoot to ride to demonstrate my skills to get endorsement and unless they issue policy I can't pick up bikes from dealer to take to Motor Vehicle office to demonstrate my riding skills....Progressive doesn't budge.

So I shop insurance and buy Geico policy where Geico faxes insurance cards to dealer instantly and gives me 30 days to obtain MC license endorsement......I pick up my scooters and head home.

I get the endorsement two days later and then call Progressive to cancel up coming renewal and then insure ALL my vehicles with Geico (cut my insurance costs in half too).

Progressive responds that I was all paid up for next 3 weeks till renewal and would not renew at my request nor charge me for renewal.

All is good it seems...Geico is taking my payments out of my checking account and 6 months go by when Progressive calls to claim I owe them for new policy.........I tell them they are full of crap....They then claim they will destroy my credit report if I don't pay...I hang up.

An additional 6 months go and yesterday my credit monitoring company tells me Progressive has placed a collection on my credit report.....I just now turned it over to my lawyer to sue them.

I just preformed an internet search about Progressive insurance and their extortion tactics where they destroy folks using their credit reports if they don't pay........I suggest you shop carefully for motorcycle insurance.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Cakalac
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW, i just put my bike on progressive last thursday. they told me nothing about that but then again I did it all online so I didn't talk to a rep. I did find out one thing about scoot insurance though. The "underinsured motorist" coverage almost doubles your insurance. At least on mine it did. Not "uninsured" motorist but "underinsured". Mine was almost $1100 with it and I dropped it and it went to $621/yr. Everything else stayed the same. Don't know if Geico did that or not but possibley if it cut it in half. Most folks dont' have this coverage on their bike.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Whatyardwork
Advanced

WOW!Thats scarey stuff.I know you mentioned you had a lawyer on it but they dont always like to do the legg work.Might I also suggest contacting your local attorney general as well as your states division of insurance with complaints.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Cut your insurance cost in half with Gieco? I smell Bullchit!

Old 01-29-2009, 12:48 PM
HHI Dave
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a bike insured with Progressive about 8 or 9 years ago. After the first year, I got a renewal notice and saw they had jacked my premium up by 50%. I called and was told that they had to raise the premiums because they "had gotten so many claims under that program".

The problem was, I hadn't made a claim, hadn't received any tickets, and had paid my premiums in full and on time. Their reponse to me was basically "tough $h!t" So I asked the scammer how much time was left on my policy. They told me 30 days and I told them that would give me plenty of time to find a new insurance provider, which I did.

Screw Progressive, they'll never get another dime from me.

Originally Posted by Wecroft
Cut your insurance cost in half with Gieco? I smell Bullchit!
Don't be so sure. If there's one thing I've found its that there is no rhyme or reason to what different insurance companies charged. I've shopped for insurance for performance cars, boats, motorcycles, etc and have commonly found as much as 50% difference in quoted premiums from one agency to another. Man, I hate insurance companies.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:53 PM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I have progressive and renewal comes up in March, thanks for info.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:05 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well..................Insurance is something I always believed in and I will never drive without it. I also fully support manditory insurance laws....I also never bothered to shop insurance prices until forced to do so because of Progressive's denial to insure me without having MC license endorsement.

I don't know about you guys and I'm sure we can't compare policy prices directly due to differing locations and driving records plus other demographics the insurance companys use to price/rate us.

All i know is I insure two old trucks for minimum liabliity and two new Harleys for max.......My total insurance cost now run less than 100/month with Geico where it was more than twice that a month with progressive.

But here is the clincher, and here is where you guys need to pay attention!-Progressive thinks they can destroy my credit rating and thus drive up my insurance cost by placing crap on my credit report....We all know insurance companies rate your fees based on your age, driving record, location, vehicle, and CREDIT SCORES.......so If I score lower on credit rating then I get screwed and don't end up saving as much with their compitition, huh?

I'm stating that Progressive is being vindictive and attempting to destroy my credit rating then that will force me to pay more to another insurance company because they can't directly compete with them for my business.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:11 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Geico was double the rate that I got with progressive. Plus it took 6 months to get a claim out of Geico when my daughter got hit, because the other guy said it wasn't his fault even though the police report clearly stated it was. Only when my insurance Co (Progressive) got their legal team involved did they pay.

Progressive on the other hand came right out and handed my wife a check when she got hit.

If I ever see that little geco or a caveman on the side of the road, i'll flatten their ***.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

had them six years they went up every year, had 1 claim minor they paid quickly, then I got a thingy in the mail from AIG so I checked it out, now paying 1/3rd of Progressive bill.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:16 PM
bjryman
Tourer

I have State Farm Insurance.

My home, two autos, two motorcycles, one small IRA and a special umbrella liability policy are all deducted at one time each month. Charge for my HD is $26.10/month.

When I paid for my ride, I called my agent and they immediately FAX'd the insurance binder which comes before the actual policy is written. They only asked if I had a permit so that I was legally allowed to drive the cycle.

Now, I have had State Farm for many, many years, no moving vehicle violations or accidents, and one homeowners claim due to hail (which they declined to pay, but that's another issue). If age makes a difference, I'm 56.

All the above come into play when an agent decides how to handle one customer. Why do I know? My dad was an independent insurance agent in Michigan for 40 years....he's seen it all, and we got a lot of it at night as he used our home phone as a secondary office number.

One thing he always reminded me..."each insurance company has a core of policy types it likes to sell, and others they tolerate selling". That was the main reason independent agents like my dad were successful, they had a portfolio to sell based upon the different needs of each buyer.

Bottom line here: Make sure you do some research as you insurance needs change as there may be a better fit elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Insurance problems with Progressive on my scoots