Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Progressive Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 03:30 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Progressive Insurance

I've had my bikes insured with Progressive for several years and never had a claim that cost Progressive a dime. I was surprised when I got my renewal notice recently and was saw that the rate went up substantially. I decided to get quick quotes from a couple of other companies; Geico was about 1/3 less, and that was for slightly better coverage limits. I called my local Progressive agent to ask WTF. He first said that maybe Progressive would match the Geico quote, that he would call and try for that -- no luck on that(!) He later called me back to say that Progressive wouldn't budge on their quote for renewal, and he added a comment that the company was "taking some steps to reduce their exposure" in motorcycle insurance. Anyone else had similar experience? Guess I'll probably go with the lizard...

Old 07-07-2011, 03:33 PM
meatsack
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to fire them this year...I wanna get away from Progressive due to the political contributions they make. Alas, they are still cheapest by far. So It looks like I'm still contributing to the destruction of America for another year.

Oh...and in befo da toe.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:34 PM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seem to go back and forth. I was with Progressive, they raised my rates by a lot so I went with Geico for 2 years, then Geico raised its rates and I went back to Progressive. Neither company would match or beat rates. I never had a claim with either company.

So I will play the game of bouncing back and forth if I need too.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:14 PM
keltonkrew
Road Master

I've had Progressive on my bikes. Have them on my boats and had a hell of a time with a claim on my boat but turned my wife onto them and they paid up.

I got my renewal last september for my bikes...rate went up a little...I started shopping, all were higher...then on the Harley Davidson site they have the insurance quote...so wth, I filled it out, quote came back $300 cheaper and with slightly better coverage so I signed up. now get this...the insurance from harley was through Progressive. as a multi policy owner with them, their renewal was more expensive than a new policy with better coverage....go figure!

Old 07-07-2011, 04:18 PM
inaroush
Road Captain

I have been in the insurance game for 25 years as a broker. Geico's policy is NOT as good as progressive on several coverage levels. They are also not less expensive that Progressive is in the hundreds of quotes I do yearly. So without seeing the actual quotes and what the differences are I can state with relative certainty it is not what it seems..... Any/ALL carriers tend to be difficult at claim time, if you know your rights the carrier will back down and pay.

Other very aggressive insurers for bikes are Foremost, Nationwide, Statefarm

Old 07-07-2011, 10:12 PM
martinbrody
Advanced

I am up to renew with Progressive at the end of July, they just lowered my rate. In my experience you should always shop around if they raise your rate. A couple years ago a few companies were comparable to the Progressive quote, then all of a sudden Progressive quoted way lower. I have no accidents or tickets in over 15 years and an excellent credit score. I dont know what voodoo insurance companies use but it reminds me of how airlines price tickets, it makes no sense at all. As far as one company over another if you google you will find tons of people saying every one of them sucks.

As far as Progressive's politics, F them, but there aren't enough people who wont use them because of it to make a difference, so might as well save a couple hundy.

Last edited by martinbrody; 07-07-2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-07-2011, 11:53 PM
BRW
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had Geico since '06 , they not only beat the rates of everybody I checked (and beat the rates by a lot almost half in one case) including Farmers who has had our cars & house for years. But I have better coverage also. So for me I'm really feeling the love from the lizard!!!!

Old 07-12-2011, 12:58 PM
uncblue
Advanced

I just renewed with Progressive today..They beat everybody else (geico, statefarm) by more than half and were lower than last yrs rate by $50!!! It's all a racket but what is one to do......

Ride safe...

Old 07-12-2011, 08:28 PM
slyder
Road Master

I just switched from Dairyland to Progressive. Full coverage on my 99 FLHRCI was going to be $300 a year (I wanted to add comp incase of theft....i used to only have liability). Progressive full coverage +$3000 in extras covered was $202 a year.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:12 PM
WG2011
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have progressive and they seem to be great thus far, Have the for automobiles and motorcycle. Very competitive prices have yet to find anyone that can beat them for the wife and I.

Quick Reply: Progressive Insurance