Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

USAA Insurance(Guantanamo Bay,Cuba)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:36 PM
tripwire759
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

Problem with USAA is that they are getting too big. I just had a hail damage claim and the car sat for a week because they couldn't figure something out before I called and raised Hell for it sitting there. They used to be a great company and I still have my banking, two cars, and home through them and wouldn't even think of leaving but things are not what they used to be.

Not sure what to tell you but good luck with it.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I use USAA for my truck and motorcycle. Maybe I am reading this wrong, but is USAA dropping all motorcycle coverage, or just on Guantanamo? When did they sub out motorcycle coverage to Progressive?

I've had good experience with them too especially with motorcycle claims. But then again I have not filed a claim in the last three years.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:15 AM
laduckslayer
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it's worth, I am a USAA customer as well, have been since the eighties when they were writing auto policies for officers in Germany. I also work in the insurance industry now, but not for USAA.

- USAA is the benchmark that other companies use as the gold standard for customer service. So, you can imagine what other carriers can be like.

- In 2004, USAA stopped writing motorcycle policies. They have an "arrangement" with Progressive, who takes ownership of the policy and handles the claims for m/c only. This may have changed since then, but I doubt it, as I went elsewhere for my m/c insurance. I also check at renewal, just be sure.

This arrangement is common with carriers. You have large companies that write multi-lines and they will tender policies for smaller or specialized carriers. For example, GEICO is huge, but they write Auto. If you get a property policy through GEICO, it is underwritten by Travelers, who also works the claims.

Enough on the lesson - just thought it might add clarity.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:55 AM
Aviel
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tripwire759
Problem with USAA is that they are getting too big. I just had a hail damage claim and the car sat for a week because they couldn't figure something out before I called and raised Hell for it sitting there. They used to be a great company and I still have my banking, two cars, and home through them and wouldn't even think of leaving but things are not what they used to be.

Not sure what to tell you but good luck with it.
Dude the picture with you in the bomb suit riding the Haji bike is epic!

Old 09-08-2011, 07:45 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member

So then the only reason I am currently able to have my two bikes insured is because I have my truck insured also. If I sell my truck they will drop me regardless of the fact that I have used them since the 80s.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:16 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Paniolo
I use USAA for my truck and motorcycle. Maybe I am reading this wrong, but is USAA dropping all motorcycle coverage, or just on Guantanamo? When did they sub out motorcycle coverage to Progressive?

I've had good experience with them too especially with motorcycle claims. But then again I have not filed a claim in the last three years.
If you still have MC insured with them they will keep you but they are not adding any more MC's

Old 09-08-2011, 09:07 AM
dfndr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

USAA is the one I'm having the problems with. They were excellent for years but now are not the same. My whole family is looking elsewhere.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by soft 02
If you still have MC insured with them they will keep you but they are not adding any more MC's
Really? In the last two months I have sold my 01 POSE Ultra and bought a 06 CVO Ultra. I also bought a Kawaski Police bike. They were both insured along with another Kawasaki. Am I lucky or grandfathered in?

Old 09-08-2011, 03:33 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aviel
I recently called Progressive to get a quote for insuring my Harley here in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Progressive stated they would not insure my bike. This made me exceedingly mad since the bike would be on a US Naval Base. Another fact which adds insult to injury is that the base is completely closed off. No one is allowed off the base. The maximum speed limit is 25mph. Progressive told me I would have to attach the Motorcycle to another vehicle. They would not insure the motorcycle by itself.

Listen, if you or someone you know is thinking about insuring a motorcycle on Guantanamo Bay Naval Station, USAA's policy is that the motorcycle must be attached to a vehicle on the policy. I'm just trying to save somebody some grief.

In case you didn't know, Progressive is the company USAA uses to insure their members motorcycles.
just had a flash... why not switch over to Markel, Harley's insurance division? they insured my Harley without insuring my car and/or truck.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:22 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Paniolo
Really? In the last two months I have sold my 01 POSE Ultra and bought a 06 CVO Ultra. I also bought a Kawaski Police bike. They were both insured along with another Kawasaki. Am I lucky or grandfathered in?
They told me if I drop my MC insurance and start it up later that they would transfer it to progresive via USAA for me.

Quick Reply: USAA Insurance(Guantanamo Bay,Cuba)