Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Military riders insuring in Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 02:41 PM
Hawg6
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Military riders insuring in Michigan

I appologize if this is readily available info but it was not for me. After several hours of time on the phone with USAA a olution was reached.

For all military folks who have their bikes insured with USAA, you know that they have outsourced to Progressive. In my one dealing with them, Progressive actually exceeded the high customer service expectations I have for USAA. Upon PCSinf from Knox to MI, I called to switch my state of coverage. Progressive informed me that they do not write policies in MI but outsource to someone else. As a result, my premium was going to jump from $226 a year to almost $590. This is where the hours on the phonewith USAA came in and why I am posting.

USAA will write direct policies as a result of these types of costs in four states (CA, MI, NC, NH). After getting the right agent on the line, someone familiar with this exception to policy, my new bike was added to my existing USAA insurance policy (truck, wifes van, homeowner, rental, etc). At the end of it all I went from paying $226 per year for a $250 deductable on an 07 XL883C to paying $156 per year for a $250 deductable on an 07 Ultra Classic. I know there aren't a ton of us active duty types in MI so I wanted to get this out there. Hopefully it will save someone else the time and headache of PCSing here.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:38 PM
gb6049
Intermediate

After over 30 years with USAA, just stay with them for all your insurance needs. Well worth the price of not paying for the hassle of a lower costing premium if you have to file a claim.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:31 PM
Hawg6
Novice

Being able to stay with USAA was the point of the previous post. Despite them outsourcing cycle policies to Progressive, they are willing to step up and take care of those of us stationed in states with unusual circumstances. And in my case, at a third of the cost of Progressive's policy writer. This is to inform others of an existing USAAexception to policy that can potentially save someone a significant chunk of change. I appologize if I was unable to clearly articulate that in the first popst.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:30 AM
ShrinerRider
Road Captain

Received 106 Likes on 59 Posts

I PCS'd to MI last summer, with a new bike. USAA (underwritten by Progressive) insured the bike in Michigan no problem. This year the increase jumped over $200. I wnet through the Harley Insurance (underwritten by Progressive) for a lower rate than last year...on the same Progressive Policy! Congrats on the Ultra!!