Motorcycles For Sale Place your ad here if you're selling your Motorcycle. Please read the rules for posting in this section.
Mark this thread as Unsold

What is it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 05:09 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by goodbirds
Thanks everyone for your input/opinion. You're likely right; maybe sell for the area of 6,500 to 7,000. I like the idea of dropping the price $500 per week until it sells. That might work.

I'm thinking too that someone out there is ready to try a Harley for the first time but is frightened off by the new prices (with all the extras, I paid $28,000) and would rather gamble $8-9,000 to see if a Harley is for him/her. Hard to say.

A trike is also out of the question for me. I have to have 100% oxygen with me at all times, difficult (but doable) for a rider. Any exertion at all, even getting on or off, taxes my oxygen levels greatly. I'm being philosophical about this. I'm 75, rode since I was 20, and its been great and so the end has come. I'd like to get enough for this bike to pay for my final expenses and it should.
Wow! This really breaks my heart to read. Perhaps you can bring your bike to a dealer and sell it on consignment. There will always be a lot of traffic at a dealer. I`ll keep you in my prayers and hope for the best.

The following users liked this post:
goodbirds (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 05:39 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

Well, here is the latest.
Had a potential buyer last week at $7,500 come by and look at the bike. I could tell as he walked up to the house he was a Harley rider. We chatted for a while and I recalled the history. He was obviously impressed with the bike's appearance. He told me he had to give up his last bike two years ago and was itching to get another one (so was his wife).

I fired it up and it sounded so good to both of us. I gave it some thought then asked him for his keys to his really nice RAM truck so he could test ride it. He did, and went away for about ten minutes. When he returned, he offered $7,200 and I agreed to that. He then told me he would go to his bank the next day and arrange the financing.

He texted me the next day after his lunch hour to tell me he had been turned down for the loan. Dang!

I've had many more text messages and emails, all who want to know the miles, and I never hear any more from them. I think you all are right, the miles really hurt the prospects of a sale, and I might be dreaming at $7,000. Dealers around here aren't interested in consignment sales on it due to age ( and miles). I have a son-in-law who might be interested if he has cash to spare. We'll see where that goes.

Thanks for all your comments. It really helps the perspective on this topic.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:40 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member

Today I did some changing on my two website listings. I took some pictures of it sitting in my garage and deleted the older ones. One of the new pictures was of the odometer. In the description I added the words "$7,000 or?" to let the viewers know I'm open to offers. I'm up to 870 views on ksl classifieds and nine favorites, so at least 9 people are watching this ad.

All my previous motorcycles have been traded for a new one with one exception, and it was totalled. So, this is all new experience for me.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:37 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Default End of an era (in my life)

Well, the guy who came to look at it before asked me if he could come by again. He did, and offered $6,000 for it. Much as I think it would worth more, but also seeing the look in his eyes, I decided to accept his offer. He left a grand with me to hold it over the weekend, and then yesterday he brought the rest. He is happy, I'm happy he is, and I accept the fact I won't ride any more. Look at the smile on his face! I don't why the pictures are on their side, and video wouldn't load. Sorry

Attached Thumbnails What is it worth?-file1.jpeg   What is it worth?-file-1.jpeg  

Last edited by goodbirds; 05-23-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:13 PM
tomve
Tourer
Received 185 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm not sure if congratulations are in order, but will send it out anyway. Congratulations on the sale of your bike!! Based on the entries, the buyer really wanted to purchase the bike (based on the return visits). By the looks of it you made a buyer very happy. Best of luck to you in the future.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:31 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member

Thank you for the congratulations. You know, Harleys are special to owners, beyond pride of ownership. It is an emotional connection for us. I saw this event two ways; either the ultimate buyer was new to Harleys and didn't know about the personal side of it, or a knowledgeable individual would see the value in the bike. This cuts two ways. If I had gotten the original price, it would have gone to a higher bidder, who could have been disappointed and feel he/she got rooked. What actually took place is that this guy knew what used, high mileage, Harleys should cost, and yet was hopeful he wouldn't get disappointed down the road. For me, I'm very glad to let the bike go to an honestly appreciative guy who believed in Harley-Davidson and was willing to buy mine at a price I knew inside was the best conclusion.

Today was the last road trip ending 7 years ago. I rode down to Ft. Worth area to visit my son and his family. I remember dealing with my breathing problems crossing 7,000' altitudes. Since then, I've not been able to go on road trips as my condition worsen. At 75 I feel extremely blessed to enjoyed so many years of riding motorcycles. No complaints.

The following 2 users liked this post by goodbirds:
FunGramps (05-25-2017), NORTY FLATZ (05-25-2017)