Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Help: Any Colorado people/travelers in here??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:43 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help: Any Colorado people/travelers in here??

My wife and I are going to be doing about 3,400 miles this summer and will be tooling (west)through Colorado on Hiway 70 and I'm looking for info on a place to stay in or near Grand Junction.I checked the H-D site and HOG members get a small discount at Best Westerns, of which oneis inGrand Junction. Any other hotels/motels near the area that are just fine for an overnite stay at a decent price? Also has anyone did the Flaming Gorge ride in UT/WY, if so which side is the best ride... East or West? Thanks

Old 02-07-2008, 02:56 PM
monsterdeluxe
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help: Any Colorado people/travelers in here??

I would jump off of I-70 and stay in Ouray. Its about 90 miles due south. Its considered the Switerland of the US. Beautiful, awesome.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...boy/ouray1.jpg

Oh ya, they have hot springs, nice after a long ride.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:55 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grand junction is a common stop for travelers. There's dozens of good hotels in that area near the Harley dealership. Pick up a travelers guide or check with google, or dexknows.com for a listing and maps.

I think I stayed at the Best Western there. It was fine. Nothing to write home about.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

We've stayed at a few of the hotels near the HD dealer/airport...check out the GJ C of C website for more information in the area. Best Western is one of several in the immediate area with plenty of good restaurants nearby.

have a good time.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:15 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

Whiskers,
Where did you get the two colored leather fringe hanging from your levers? I love the way your bike looks and it's profile. Is it lowered? Thanks-Jon

Old 02-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Hey Jon,

The fringed levers came from Iron Braids and they are top-shelve quality.[sm=smiley20.gif] Here's another picture of them. I bought the bike used from a guy who did some work on it but I've never been able to really tell if it was lowered. I keep reminding myself to find out because you are not the first one who's ever asked me that question.

I hope you enjoy your ride through Colorado.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1543/80AB2C07430C47AE90568BFBCBD8BB5E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Rockrat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you stop at the GJ H/D, you will get off at the airport exit and go North about 1 block and then turn left at the light and go a couple of blocks. When you are done, get back on 70 and go a couple more miles West to 24 road, exit,circle around the roundabouts and head South. There is a fairly new Holiday Inn express about 1 mile South of the interstate. Starbucks near there if thats your thing and a Black Bear cafe thats pretty good (Stay away from the Chocolate cream pile--you might OD on it). If you head towards Ouray, you can stop in at the Black Canyon H/D also. They are a satellite store of GJ Harley. If you can, keep going South out of Ouray over Red Mountain Pass , thru Silverton, to Durango, then West. If not, then head back North out of Ouray about 20 miles to Ridgeway and head West towards Telluride. Keep going till you hit 141 North. It will take you back to Whitewater, which is just South of GJ, then you can hit 70 again to continue your trip.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:25 PM
SNOWPSYCHOS
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I travel to G.J. on business a few times a year (sometimes on the bike) and I always stay at the Double Tree, which used to be the Adams Mark Hotel. It is by far the nicest place in town and only a little bit more expensive than the Holiday Inn, ect. Ask for a discount, try AAA, AARP, Veteran, ect. They have a real nice pool (near their golf course) which is great after a long ride, work out room, and bar.

Are you heading through Southern WY?........If so let me know, wejust bought aguest house/ranch houseon the river near theeast enterance of the scenic Snowy Range Mountains (Centennial, WY) that we are renting out as a vaca rental. Just South of I-80 and west of Laramie. If interestedI have attached a link to some info and phone number. Mention HDForums and I'll see what I can do to save ya some $$. (Oh yeah we have a garage for the bike)

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52123

Good luck and good travels...................

Old 02-17-2008, 03:44 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SNOWPSYCHOS

I travel to G.J. on business a few times a year (sometimes on the bike) and I always stay at the Double Tree, which used to be the Adams Mark Hotel. It is by far the nicest place in town and only a little bit more expensive than the Holiday Inn, ect. Ask for a discount, try AAA, AARP, Veteran, ect. They have a real nice pool (near their golf course) which is great after a long ride, work out room, and bar.

Are you heading through Southern WY?........If so let me know, wejust bought aguest house/ranch houseon the river near theeast enterance of the scenic Snowy Range Mountains (Centennial, WY) that we are renting out as a vaca rental. Just South of I-80 and west of Laramie. If interestedI have attached a link to some info and phone number. Mention HDForums and I'll see what I can do to save ya some $$. (Oh yeah we have a garage for the bike)

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52123

Good luck and good travels...................

Snow, that looks like a great place you have and I appreciate the offer, but we are leaving eastern Idaho on our 4th day and that's a little too far for us to travel in one day on abike. We hope to stay somewhere around Rock Springs, WY and then on to Estes Park, CO the next day. Thanks and I will keep you in mind for the future. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:15 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I would not travel 70 through Colorado. Other than Glenwood Canyon and the Tunnel it's a bit boring and, in my opinion, the cagers are rediculous on I-70. Speeding, changing lanes at any time, no signals. Just would not be a comfortable ride in my case.

I would reccomend finding some of the side state highways that go the same direction, such as Hwy 50, 24, etc. You can take your time, minimal traffic, good people, and less seen scenery.

However, if you must take 70, I would reccomend going a little south or north of Grand Junction. To the south is Ouray, which is a decent little place. Also Telluride, which is the most beautiful hole in the wall this side of heaven. More expensive hotels in this area though. To the north near Dinosaur National Monument is also very breath taking an unique scenery.

Of course, I shouldn't tell you how to ride, it's your trip and a great one by the sound of the miles. I would just be sure to call ahead and make reservations where ever possible due to the high number of tourists that time of year.

Quick Reply: Help: Any Colorado people/travelers in here??