Sponsored by:

High Speed Shakeing

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 02:10 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Default High Speed Shakeing

With new tires and ride on sealant/balancer the bike rides perfect, could not ask for a better ride. But around 110mph the front end starts shaking, its definitely in the front end and letting off the throttle, slowing in high gear the shake will continue until around 70mph as it fades away. A Honda dealer mounted and added the ride on, I was not present could it be incorrect amount added?
I had removed the weights from the front wheel before getting the tires mounted. It was 11 weights 5gm each or 55gm is 1.94 ounces. I'm grasping at straws but the seems like a lot of weight. Could it be that the sealant can't balance it if it's that far off?

Old 06-11-2015, 02:31 PM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Gwaxley
With new tires and ride on sealant/balancer the bike rides perfect, could not ask for a better ride. But around 110mph the front end starts shaking, its definitely in the front end and letting off the throttle, slowing in high gear the shake will continue until around 70mph as it fades away. A Honda dealer mounted and added the ride on, I was not present could it be incorrect amount added?
I had removed the weights from the front wheel before getting the tires mounted. It was 11 weights 5gm each or 55gm is 1.94 ounces. I'm grasping at straws but the seems like a lot of weight. Could it be that the sealant can't balance it if it's that far off?
Just my .02 but you shouldn't be going that fast. I have Ride On in my bike and with 2, 8 oz bottles I put 9 oz in the rear and 7 oz in the front. That is pretty much the correct amount since we should have the same wheels. Rides great.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:33 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,665 Likes on 2,675 Posts

No, the issue is that you're letting off the throttle. Anything over 108 and you have to keep the throttle open and accelerating. I know, because I'm still on the bike accelerating right now.

The weight required to balance wheels changes with every set of tires mounted. If you didn't balance the wheels with the tires that are mounted now, you have no idea how much weight would be required. Ride-On uses a certain amount by the tire size, not by the balance weight required.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:56 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
No, the issue is that you're letting off the throttle. Anything over 108 and you have to keep the throttle open and accelerating. I know, because I'm still on the bike accelerating right now.

The weight required to balance wheels changes with every set of tires mounted. If you didn't balance the wheels with the tires that are mounted now, you have no idea how much weight would be required. Ride-On uses a certain amount by the tire size, not by the balance weight required.
Thanks, I understand the amount per tire size and that the old tire would be different of course. But with that much weights on, it maybe that the wheel is way out of balance?
I called and they will recheck it on there balance machine.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:29 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,665 Likes on 2,675 Posts

Yeah, that's not going to work, but sounds like a good way to spend some free time.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:37 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
Yeah, that's not going to work, but sounds like a good way to spend some free time.
You must be still on you bike at 108 trying to type, cause the autocorrect ant working very well??

Old 06-11-2015, 05:00 PM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

110mph! You find smooth roads in LA. for that?

Last edited by GeneseeGap; 06-11-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:08 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

Sealant/balancer is good to 200+. It's not that. It's you guardian angel yanking back on the rains.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:32 PM
KROMEBLK
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All i can say is , ummmmmmmmm , are you anywhere near the bonneville salt flats ? Harley baggers will go that fast but that does not mean that you should . I know it is fun for a minute , however , they are not built for that kind of sustained speed anyway . I once pegged the speedo on a honda 70 trail at i believe 55 mph going down a very long hill . They were not built to go that fast either , not a great experience and well before social media videos , but i am sure it would have been a winner with millions of hit's . Be safer and live a while ---------

Old 06-11-2015, 05:57 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior

I don't always do it, but when I do I want to do it right.

Check out this video on YouTube:

Quick Reply: High Speed Shakeing