Sponsored by:

Wiring Locations for Detachable Tour Pack with pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 08:50 AM
JoeAverage
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Wiring Locations for Detachable Tour Pack with pics

When I installed the detachable tour pack kit this weekend, I wasn't sure exactly how the wiring was going to turn out. So I've included a few pics of the wiring issues I encountered. The following may seem trivial to a lot of guys here who are technically skilled but the fact that I figured this out made me feel like pounding my chest and scream like Tarzan!

The directions from Harley are fairly vague. They don't list a good place for mounting the black square box device (not sure of proper name) that is attached to the Electro Glo light harness. Well there is a spot and it's like it was designed in advance just for mounting this device. It's located just ahead of the ECM as shown in the picture below. It's buried slightly so you'll have to move a few wires and unplug a connection but it's a great spot.

It's a steel tab that slides right into the rubber mount that encases the square black device. Is it possible that Harley-Davidson designed this in anticipation of us purchasing their light kit? I looked all around there for something that perhaps a mechanic or production line person had forgot to attach. Nothing.

Here it is mounted to the steel tab.

Here it is after everything is all tucked away.

A big concern of mine was the wires at the tour pack. I know others have encountered scratches on their fenders from not securing these. The new mounting rack for the tour pack has no provisions for securing the wire as was on the original one. So my plan is to get some adhesive backed zip tie mounts, like the ones used on the saddlebag to secure the wires, attach them to the painted surface under the vinyl flap and secure the harness snugly so it doesn't drop down and scratch the fender. In the mean time I wrapped each harness tight with electrical tape to keep them more secure. Then I had an old fender bib in the garage that I cut smaller and secured it on the fender where the seat bolt attaches to protect the fenders surface temporarily.

So hope this helps someone who is struggling with this wiring. Keeping the paint safe was my main objective here. You can see in the following pic where the factory harness in it original location has scratched the fender after only a few months. At least it's in a spot that will never be normally visible. I think in the end, the best is to get some of that transparent paint protection film and cover the fender.

One last note. You'll notice that on the chrome and black bushings where the latches lock down on the mount, the chrome end is slightly wider on one side. Make sure you have the wider end on the outside. The rack will align much easier. Again, this isn't stipulated in the printed instructions.

Thanks for reading.

Joe

Last edited by JoeAverage; 04-12-2016 at 01:40 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JoeAverage:
almostakeeper (09-14-2018), Circa58 (08-21-2021), Super08 (04-12-2016)