2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One of the best sturgis tips I ever got...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 07:58 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Default One of the best sturgis tips I ever got...

This year is going to be hot.

A buddy told me a few years ago to take a sweatshirt. Soak it in cold water at every gas stop (or sooner if need be) and wear it >under< your jacket. Keeps you from getting dehydrated and overheated... as long as you are moving, anyway... I guess you could soak your pants, too, since you're riding a Rushmore...

Be safe everyone!

Old 07-30-2016, 09:17 AM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I got a better tip. Go out there when the weather is cooler and not 40 million people in the way.

The following 5 users liked this post by Just Me:
ev780 (07-30-2016), mibeaulieu (08-01-2016), NDRK (08-01-2016), Rydefree (07-31-2016), TwiZted Biker (07-31-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 09:25 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,564 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
I got a better tip. Go out there when the weather is cooler and not 40 million people in the way.
That's a good tip. In the same regards, I'd also recommend avoiding any and all bike nights in your local area to avoid the crowds. Why go to a bike night when I can hit the same bar and/or restaurant at any other time to avoid all the extra people/crowds?

Old 07-30-2016, 10:06 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
That's a good tip. In the same regards, I'd also recommend avoiding any and all bike nights in your local area to avoid the crowds. Why go to a bike night when I can hit the same bar and/or restaurant at any other time to avoid all the extra people/crowds?
Why go?

Uh.. top ten reasons:

10. You want to see a bunch of women you can't afford.
9. You want to see a motorcycle that you can't believe that someone spent all that money on something so ugly.
8. You want to ride around revving your pipes because they are loud and cool and if no one was on the street would they make a sound?
7. You want to smoke a cigar where no one gives you evil looks.
6. You are tired of watching MMA and want to see a real street fight between two drunk idiots.
5. Burnouts... see #8 above.
4. Your tee shirts are all dirty and you need some clean ones.
3. You haven't seen enough twerking since Miley Cyrus doesn't do it on m.t.v. anymore.
2. You want to hear some different bands that don't sound any better than the usual bands no matter how much beer you drink.

and the number 1. reason?

1. You might meet some new friends that you learn something from you didn't know before.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:52 AM
davep
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just Me ... has the best tip on forum.....go either before or after sturgis....cheaper less people and your have a great time..weather will be cooler and not fighting the people for food gas, etc

Old 07-30-2016, 11:28 AM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

The people that I know that go out there come back and tell me how much fun it was.
I ask what did you do? They say they went around to all the sites like Hoover, Mt Rushmore etc. but only went into Sturgis once?? I just don't get it then, why go in the mad rush, traffic, 100+heat, inflated prices and live in a hot stinking tent?
I'm just not a glutton for punishment.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:42 AM
aleccrowley
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
That's the idea.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:02 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

"Going to Sturgis" is a good excuse to go to the Black Hills and ride the beautiful roads up there.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:10 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

I like a bandana for shorter hops. Wet the bandana down with cold water , wring it out to where it's just almost dripping, then put it on cowboy style tied on the back side of your neck and wet side on front. Zip jacket over and it's quite the refreshing treat.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:18 PM
banddirector
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JesseDyna
I like a bandana for shorter hops. Wet the bandana down with cold water , wring it out to where it's just almost dripping, then put it on cowboy style tied on the back side of your neck and wet side on front. Zip jacket over and it's quite the refreshing treat.
I got a Harley gel neck wrap (only $10, couldn't believe it) that works well, and it lasts for a few hours.

As far as the gas thing, I went to Sturgis last year, with all the record crowds, and getting gas quickly was never an issue - - I just didn't buy gas in Sturgis. Many places in Rapid City where you can get gas with no wait; just make sure it's a few blocks off the road to Mt. Rushmore and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: One of the best sturgis tips I ever got...