Sponsored by:

Road report around Denver

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 06:15 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts
Thumbs down Road report around Denver

Disclaimer: I posted a similar report last year. If you're turned off or upset by negativity, then stop reading now!

I would strongly recommend that anyone planning a trip through Colorado this summer should do extensive research regarding road conditions along your intended route before committing to the trip.

I have no info about anything south of Denver, but pretty much everything in the Denver-Boulder area and to the north is either being dug up or chip-sealed already, and it's only spring.

Most of the scenic routes from the eastern planes to the peak-to-peak highway are being re-paved and have massive backups which will only get worse as the season progresses. Also, the peak-to-peak itself is completely screwed up with construction and the open sections are so potholed and grooved that they're downright dangerous to try to ride a bike on (at least according to a friend who tried to ride it a couple of days ago - on a Beemer adventure bike, no less!).

Most of the other secondary roads in the area are no better as far as construction and other delaying operations go. This state seems dedicated to shutting down smooth traffic flow whenever possible. It's really quite amazing for a state that touts itself as a tourist destination.

Wyoming, Utah, Montana etc. have excellent roads and most are passable, no problem at all, and just as beautiful scenery-wise, if not more so. If I end up taking a riding vacation this summer, I'll take the shortest route out of this state to one of the above and stay out till I come back home.

If you do feel the need to ride in CO, then I would advise you to contact the applicable county Sheriff's Department(s) for the true story about road conditions, since the chambers of commerce and/or tourist bureaus will lie out their worthless a$$es off about it just to get you to come and spend your tourist bucks.

Last year was the worst I've seen in my 33+ years here and this year looks to be even worse than that!

Another word of warning, if you end up on a Colorado road that's being painted, DO NOT ride past the painting operation if you don't want your bike, equipment, and yourself covered with paint specks that are almost impossible to remove completely. Colorado has totally antiquated road-painting equipment that gets more paint on passing vehicles than it actually puts on the road and they'll just tell you to go "F" yourself if you try to get any compensation for damages - don't ask me how I know this!!

For those who decide to take their chances here, good luck with that. Just be sure to have the engine temp management system enabled on your bike and have PLENTY of water and sunscreen on board to cope with being continuously stuck in endless backups and stoppages in our 100 degree summer temps!

Also, don't let yourself feel relieved once you finally get through one construction zone, since there will very likely be yet another one just a few miles down the road. I've seen as many as six separate construction/delay zones on one 20 mile stretch of road. Three or four in a row aren't at all uncommon.

This state is nuts!

Finally, if you ride through Colorado and into Wyoming, be ready to be stopped at the state line and searched for pot (legal in CO, as you probably already know). I've heard that they're really bad about that up there, although I've never had it happen to me personally. I've also heard that Oklahoma's pretty bad about stopping and searching folks at the state line, too.

Good luck and ride safe,

JP

Last edited by jpooch00; 05-31-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:35 PM
Kermie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 314 Likes on 291 Posts

Wow, well I must be riding on all the good roads then

Old 05-31-2017, 06:56 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kermie
Wow, well I must be riding on all the good roads then
Try Coal Creek Canyon road to the Peak-to-Peak or Boulder Canyon Road from Boulder to Nederland. See how that works out for ya.

Been on the Peak-to-peak from Ned to Estes Park lately? I don't even try to ride that road any more.

Ride safe,

JP

Last edited by jpooch00; 05-31-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:49 PM
Kermie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 314 Likes on 291 Posts

Brother, I ride Peak to Peak a couple of times a month. Now, I don't take my sport bike on it much, and traffic on weekends is usually crazy. But for the speeds I run on my RG, it's all good. Now there is construction up on several areas and going in to Estes Park from the Peak to Peak, but that's life sometimes. Now I rode to Pawnee Buttes, and that gravel road truly was a PITA. With a speed limit of 55, and we couldn't get over 40 due to washboard roads. It's all good though. Hope to see you out on the road

Last edited by Kermie; 05-31-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:01 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,362 Likes on 1,273 Posts

Last year was the worst? I rode in Colorado for 5 days last year, waited in traffic for a total of 30 minutes, max. Was an awesome trip.

Last edited by jeffro09; 05-31-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:51 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jeffro09
Last year was the worst? I rode in Colorado for 5 days last year, waited in traffic for a total of 30 minutes, max. Was an awesome trip.
Hey, good to hear that it worked out well for you. Were you traveling through the Denver-Boulder area during that time?

Also, I was wondering what it's like in the southern part of the state. I've heard it's not as bad down there.

If I were doing it, I'd at least stay out east of I 25 till I was north of Ft. Collins or well south of Denver, depending on which way I was going.

I heard that the Poudre river road up north is still in pretty good shape, and that's a really great ride. I rode it last summer and it was fine. Getting there though... And all I saw on the western end of it after leaving the protected wilderness area was mostly logged-out wastelands and log and cattle trucks. Pretty shocking compared to the eastern slope.

I did come across what appeared to be an old-time hippie village called State Bridge. Really funky and different & worth a look-see. They have small-band, bluegrass etc. concerts there on weekends usually. Plus, you can rent a yurt for the night!

Also, I didn't see anything like the constant construction delays that were the norm on the eastern side of the divide, but the scenery ain't really that great due to all the logging ops.

As far as I know, the Interstates in the area aren't too terribly bad right now maintenance/construction-wise if you're into riding the slab, which I personally am not. The traffic is generally horrific on them locally, anyway.

Ride safe,

JP

Last edited by jpooch00; 06-01-2017 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:59 AM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,362 Likes on 1,273 Posts

I always avoid Denver. The rest of Colorado is where it's at.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:36 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Finally, if you ride through Colorado and into Wyoming, be ready to be stopped at the state line and searched for pot (legal in CO, as you probably already know). I've heard that they're really bad about that up there, although I've never had it happen to me personally. I've also heard that Oklahoma's pretty bad about stopping and searching folks at the state line, too.

Good luck and ride safe,

JP
That is only going to happen if YOU allow it to happen. Driving through a state is NOT probable cause for a search.............just sayin........

Old 06-02-2017, 07:32 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Teufelhunden
That is only going to happen if YOU allow it to happen. Driving through a state is NOT probable cause for a search.............just sayin........
Yeah, good luck with that!

Anyway, regarding my original post, I got to thinking that maybe a person who's just riding thru the state might not notice or be bothered by all the construction and other delays as much as someone who lives here and puts up with it on a daily basis every summer - probably not, in fact.

I'd guess that staying as far as practical from the major towns along the front range, especially north of I 70, would be the way to go. I would still discourage folks from doing the Peak-to-Peak highway, especially those riding in packs where you wouldn't be able to maneuver as well around all the huge potholes and cracks in the road.

Best wishes and good luck to all the folks who ride through the state this summer. Remember to carry and drink plenty of water, since dehydration can sneak up on ya before you know it in the summer heat at these elevations. Sunscreen is also a must.

JP