Sponsored by:

Rear Shock Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 09:42 AM
Happyharley
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear Shock Leaking

I have a 14 FLHTK with 40k on it. A week before I was going to do the Run For The Wall, I had the rear tire replaced. A couple of days into the run, I noticed a drip spot on the ground by the outside of the right rear tire. I stopped at a dealer in Monroe, La. and was told it was the shock that was leaking. They couldn't replace it because they didn't have one on stock(really). I drove off and the next day we stopped in Jackson, Mississippi for lunch at one of the neatest Harley dealers in the country. They replaced my leaking shock. Anyway I made it to D.C. and back home to Az. The next day after I got home, I noticed a drip again next to the right rear tire. I pulled the saddlebag and sure enough, the new shock is leaking oil. I Haven't taken it to my local dealer yet. I weigh 200 lbs and carried about a hundred lbs of gear on the trip. I keep 45psi of air in my shocks all the time. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 06-22-2018, 01:10 PM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

I had just removed the HD air shocks off my wife's Sporty a few weeks ago. I used touring shocks on her Sporty, works well, but anyway, one shock just started leaking on her late last fall and dripped out while sitting in the garage this winter.The same shocks that were on her Sporty were on my 14' Street Glide originally. I bought her a used set of newer Sportster shocks off ebay & moved away from the air shocks for now. If your looking for replacements.

Last edited by load97; 06-22-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:44 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Happyharley
I have a 14 FLHTK with 40k on it. A week before I was going to do the Run For The Wall, I had the rear tire replaced. A couple of days into the run, I noticed a drip spot on the ground by the outside of the right rear tire. I stopped at a dealer in Monroe, La. and was told it was the shock that was leaking. They couldn't replace it because they didn't have one on stock(really). I drove off and the next day we stopped in Jackson, Mississippi for lunch at one of the neatest Harley dealers in the country. They replaced my leaking shock. Anyway I made it to D.C. and back home to Az. The next day after I got home, I noticed a drip again next to the right rear tire. I pulled the saddlebag and sure enough, the new shock is leaking oil. I Haven't taken it to my local dealer yet. I weigh 200 lbs and carried about a hundred lbs of gear on the trip. I keep 45psi of air in my shocks all the time. Has anyone else had this problem?
My 2000 classic leaked did this in well, 2000. No other bike since though.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:25 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,698 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I have a 14 Ultra - I am at 275 and my wife at 105 - never had an oil leak but it would lose a little air every now and then, I decided to replace the shocks with progressive springs - handled much better and took our weight.

Bike was under warranty - so, Harley gave me a new set of shocks.

Old 06-22-2018, 04:55 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,763 Likes on 6,897 Posts

My brother has a 2015 Limited and his bike was only a year old with less than 5k miles on it. He noticed a drop of oil, it was coming from his right rear shock. It had leaked down on the rear tire and bubbled up the rubber. There was a big knot. He called the dealer because he was concerned about riding it. They said no problem!!!!

He put it on the trailer and took it to them They replaced the shock but gave him BS over the tire. They told him there was nothing they could do, it was fine and just ride it. He raised heck, called HD and they replaced it under warranty. This was Tilley's HD in Statesville, NC which is why I do NOT let them touch my bike any longer. I have a lot of other horror stories from there as well.

Do yourself a BIG favor and invest in Pro-Action, Legends or Ohlins rear shocks. You will be VERY happy you did.

The following users liked this post:
Happyharley (06-24-2018)