New Rear Tire & Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 03:38 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,185 Posts
Default New Rear Tire & Tire Pressure

[RANT]

So, this past weekend I removed the rear wheel on my '14 Limited and took it to an indy I've used before for tires. Tuesday, I had him install a new Dunlop American Elite 180/65B/16. Wednesday, I installed the wheel and buttoned up everything. I'm leaving in the morning at 5:30 for a trip to Eureka Springs to ride the Ozarks for 5 days. I did a pre-ride check as I usually do before a trip and, of course, the last thing I checked was tire pressures. When I checked the rear tire pressure, I was surprised to find the tire had only 32 PSI.

When the kid in the back (I call him a kid, but he was probably in his 30s) came up front to take the tire into the shop, I heard him say something to Mike, the owner, and the next thing I hear is Mike saying, "Sure, I'll come back there and help you with the tire." That sort of set off an alarm bells in my head and I'm thinking why does he need help changing a tire? Anyway, a few minutes later, Mike comes up front and we start shooting the breeze and I tell him the reason I'm changing the tire - my trip. About 30 minutes later, here comes the kid with the tire. He, again, says something to Mike and the next thing I know Mike, the kid and my new tire are heading back to the shop. Again, alarm bells are going off. WTF? Mike brought the tire up front a few minutes later and, as badly as I wanted to, I didn't question him about what was going on with the tire. So, I paid for the tire and took it home.

I called Mike a few minutes ago and I asked him what tire pressure they use for these tires and he tells me 40 PSI, which is what I normally use. I tell him about the tire being at 32 PSI and that I planned on leaving early in the morning. He says to bring the tire in and he'll check it out. The thing is the tire is on the bike so I'm wondering what it is they can check besides the schrader valve and the Curvey Girl valve stem, which I had installed with the last tire. Besides, you'd think they leak check tires after they install them wouldn't you? F**k. I'm really pissed right now because the last thing I want to do is drive 35 minutes one way to have him tell me they couldn't find anything wrong. I mixed up some dish soap and water in a spray bottle and douched the schrader valve, valve stem and tire bead and nothing showed up.

I'm going to check the pressure in the morning and, based on what I find, go from there.

[/RANT]

Old 06-07-2019, 05:56 PM
Its time to ride
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Since you already checked the valve for any leaks, I would fill it (cold) to the proper pressure then recheck it in the morning. Problem is if it loses anything overnight, then its gonna mess up your departure time for sure. I would guess though that it was improperly filled at the shop, and while anything is possible, it probably doesn't have any type of defect. I'm Running American Elites on my scoot too, cant say enough good things about them. By the way, great color on that bike!

The following users liked this post:
GalvTexGuy (06-08-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 08:23 PM
leftyjm
Road Warrior

Received 395 Likes on 270 Posts

Hope all turns out OK. Anxious to hear final outcome

GalvTexGuy (06-08-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 09:08 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Its time to ride
Since you already checked the valve for any leaks, I would fill it (cold) to the proper pressure then recheck it in the morning. Problem is if it loses anything overnight, then its gonna mess up your departure time for sure. I would guess though that it was improperly filled at the shop, and while anything is possible, it probably doesn't have any type of defect. I'm Running American Elites on my scoot too, cant say enough good things about them. By the way, great color on that bike!
I sure hope you're right and that's the case. I'll know in about 8 hours or so. Appreciate it!

Old 06-07-2019, 09:10 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by leftyjm
Hope all turns out OK. Anxious to hear final outcome
You and me both. Thanks for the good thoughts. I'll report back.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:51 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

With that color bike you should no issues, other than the screw up at the tire shop.

GalvTexGuy (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 08:42 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

The tire pressure hadn't gone down when I checked it this morning, so I'm on the road.

hbsoldier3 (06-10-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 07:30 AM
leftyjm
Road Warrior

Received 395 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
The tire pressure hadn't gone down when I checked it this morning, so I'm on the road.
Good news! Have a safe trip.

GalvTexGuy (06-12-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 03:13 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,870 Likes on 6,927 Posts

Safe travels

GalvTexGuy (06-12-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 03:20 PM
Its time to ride
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Good to see you made it out ok, hope the tire (and the trip) give you many trouble free miles!

GalvTexGuy (06-12-2019)

Quick Reply: New Rear Tire & Tire Pressure