Sponsored by:

common Neutral pain finding it

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 12:00 AM
hanny
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default common Neutral pain finding it

Anyone found a solution to finding neutral on the new bikes with hydraulic clutches?

Not that its the end of the world finding neutral (altho fiddling with the shifter to get it into neutral when I should be focusing on traffic coming up to a light) but it does suck to mess with getting the bike into neutral all the time. 3,500 miles on the bike and still exactly as it was day one (hard to find neutral unless the bike is off) new Harley synthetic at 1,000 miles and of course no adjustment on the hydraulic systems.

The dealer says "give it till the 1000 mile service and neutral will be easier to find after that" kind of a standard answer for sure and kinda dumb if you ask me on a hydraulic system. If theres break in time then they should just use different synchro's and cut the gears where they mesh easier. And of course waiting didn't work.

And I'm sure the "different fluid option" answer will come out but keep in mind "your" year and if you have a hydraulic system or not. So that's not really the answer in this case.

So if Anyone has found a solution do tell,,,,,, thxs paul.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:09 AM
MajorThom
Intermediate

I have 7k on my odo and neutral is still more difficult to find than it should be.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:15 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Mine was difficult until around 700-800, and then it was fine.

Here's another perspective: I was riding with an experienced Motor Officer, and he saw me fishing for neutral. "Just shut it off", he said. I'm like...what?

"When you park a car with a standard transmission, do you leave it in first, or do you put it in neutral?"

So his suggestion was to just shut it off and leave it in first. I'm not sure that's what I want to do, but I did find out that if you just shut it off, it's a heck of a lot easier to find neutral.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:32 AM
hanny
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MajorThom
I have 7k on my odo and neutral is still more difficult to find than it should be.
Thxs for the quik response........ and that sucks but is exactly what I figured. They really need to cut the gears better so they engage easier or add synchronizers if there aren't any and if there are they need to cut them different. If there are synchronizers They are more then likely brass of course so maybe theres another metal option bronze or something. Maybe that will be a 2015 thing,,,,,, LOL.

Last edited by hanny; 08-17-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:13 AM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

8 times out of 10 i don't have a problem finding neutral, 1400 miles, Bel Ray in the trans.

If it isn't perfectly flat for the jiffy stand i have shut it down in 1st gear to help keep the bike from moving.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:35 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Originally Posted by hanny
Anyone found a solution to finding neutral on the new bikes with hydraulic clutches?

Not that its the end of the world finding neutral (altho fiddling with the shifter to get it into neutral when I should be focusing on traffic coming up to a light)

And I'm sure the "different fluid option" answer will come out but keep in mind "your" year and if you have a hydraulic system or not. So that's not really the answer in this case.

So if Anyone has found a solution do tell,,,,,, thxs paul.
When I come up to a red light I shift into first and leave it there till light turns green.
My 2014 SGS has Harley Formula+ in the chain case and BelRay in the transmission from the 1000 mile service. Shifting and finding neutral is easy enough for me.
Search and check some oil threads, I think Harley Synthetic is a big mistake in these new bikes, as is listening to the dealer.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:44 AM
Scaffido
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, I have over 9K miles on my bike and finding neutral still sucks. I'm running harley syn3 in all three spots but read that a heavier weight oil works better in the transmission. I'm going to change it out at 10K miles and see.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:58 AM
01XLH
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

3,200 on the Ultra. Finding neutral is a crap-shoot. Sometimes no problem at all, others a real PITA and temperature doesn't seem to make any difference.
Yesterday I pulled into a parking spot and couldn't find it, shut it off, moved the bike till it wouldn't move further, still nothing, moved it backwards, no go. Put it 1st, got off and left it. Came back out 30 minutes later and got neutral easily.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:12 AM
logical
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't say I really use neutral except at very long red lights and maybe the odd time I want to leave it running when I get off the bike. Regardless, I have found it is, for reasons I don't understand, much easier to find with a little nudge down on the heel shift peg than up on the toe shift peg.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:33 AM
skieverything
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Say what you will, but I say this" put some good trans fluid in the trans, such as redline or spectro, put some primary fluid , in the primary, such as formula + and your problem will be solved!"
I have NEVER had trouble finding neutral!

Quick Reply: common Neutral pain finding it