Northeast Pennsylvania | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Vermont Small Towns.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 01:56 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts
Default Vermont Small Towns.......

My wife LOVES small town America. We will be going to Vermont and would like to know the best small towns in Vermont to visit. Anyplace at all in VT.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance......

Old 05-11-2019, 05:58 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,966 Likes on 1,716 Posts

Buzz,

Vermont has tons of small towns. It depends on the routes you plan on taking or what other interests you have. For example, there are many towns that have covered bridges and many towns that have old fashioned general stores. If either of those are your interests, I’d suggest visiting the towns that have those. What area and/or what routes are you looking at? Vermont is home to Ben&Jerry’s ice cream and has the factory tours. Stowe is a beautiful town near there. Vermont Country Store is a big attraction, Vermont Teddy Bear Company, Cabot creamery (cheese), and the list goes on. I live in the White River Jct area which is close to Quechee (Quechee Gorge) which has a covered bridge, Taftsville which has a covered bridge, Woodstock which has a covered bridge and is nice little town. Simon Pearce glass blowing and Harpoon Brewery are all very close. Speaking of breweries, VT is the leader in micro breweries and craft beers across the country so there’s many of those around. What dates are you coming as there are many date specific events as well?

Old 05-11-2019, 06:14 PM
BuzzCap7

dawg, nice, thank you. This is a long shot but in White River Junction does the name "Figley" ring a bell?

I will be up there on my bike but my wife will likely fly into Burlington international Airport.

We were thinking of hitting Shelburne, Stow, Montpelier, Waitsfield, Chester, Grafton, and Dorsett, and then Manchester. In that order.

Then shoot over to the finger Lakes in New York and then up to Lake Placid.

My wife is leaving at 4 AM tomorrow morning to go to Boston but when she comes back I will give her your post because she is really good at finding things. What you said was very helpful. Thank you.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:30 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Figley doesn’t ring a bell. The towns you named are nice towns and you should find plenty of small town charm. Still have some rain to get through, but the end of the week should be nice. Unfortunately, the notch (Rte 108) in Stowe probably won’t be open until another week or so. Good riding. Sarduccis in Montpelier has great food, as does MacLaomainn's Scottish Pub in Chester.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:53 PM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by dawg
Figley doesn’t ring a bell. The towns you named are nice towns and you should find plenty of small town charm. Still have some rain to get through, but the end of the week should be nice. Unfortunately, the notch (Rte 108) in Stowe probably won’t be open until another week or so. Good riding. Sarduccis in Montpelier has great food, as does MacLaomainn's Scottish Pub in Chester.

You had to say Scottish pub. LOVE IT!!!!!

Brought the family and a family friend to Stowe a few windters ago for skiing and there was a GREAT mo and pop breakfast place that was EVER SO MEMORABLE!!!

Thanks for the info above, it will all be sent to my wife. SHE is excellent at this. I remain all ears my friend. GOOD info!

Old 05-11-2019, 08:13 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

The best small towns are the ones that no tourists know about. It’s a Catch-22.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:34 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7

Brought the family and a family friend to Stowe a few windters ago for skiing and there was a GREAT mo and pop breakfast place that was EVER SO MEMORABLE!!!

Probably McCarthys right on the mountain road, great breakfast there.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:17 PM
oldsoldier181
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 12,651 Likes on 4,354 Posts

The national fly fishing museum is in Manchester. As a fly fisherman, its on my list to hit this year. Granted, I am in MA, so, its a day trip (were I to ride a straight route).
Just as a forewarning: many of their secondary roads are crap. Some are actually dirt roads (hard packed). We have had rain for almost a month straight, so, winter potholes MAY not be filled in as of yet (I dont know, I havent ridden to VT yet this season).
Another suggestion is Dummerston. Now, currently, there isnt a whole lot going on there. They DO have the longest covered bridge in VT though. They have an AMAZING apple pie festival in the fall, my local HOG chapter organizes a ride up there every year, just for that!

The following users liked this post:
BuzzCap7 (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 04:53 AM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by Ron750
The best small towns are the ones that no tourists know about. It’s a Catch-22.
LOL!!! I am with you all the way. Heck, when I lived in Rindge New Hampshire it was a town of about 3000 people and nobody really knew about us and it was a great place "off the map".

Originally Posted by dawg

Probably McCarthys right on the mountain road, great breakfast there.
You are exactly right my friend. I just googled it and that is definitely the place. As I recall the moment you walk in I believe you need to go off to the right and there is free coffee on your left as you wait.

My son did something funny there and the owner I think it is a guy who looks like an iconic biker, big build, heavier set, tall, beard, likely in is late sixties was joking with my son.

Excellent food.

Originally Posted by oldsoldier181
The national fly fishing museum is in Manchester. As a fly fisherman, its on my list to hit this year. Granted, I am in MA, so, its a day trip (were I to ride a straight route).
Just as a forewarning: many of their secondary roads are crap. Some are actually dirt roads (hard packed). We have had rain for almost a month straight, so, winter potholes MAY not be filled in as of yet (I dont know, I havent ridden to VT yet this season).
Another suggestion is Dummerston. Now, currently, there isnt a whole lot going on there. They DO have the longest covered bridge in VT though. They have an AMAZING apple pie festival in the fall, my local HOG chapter organizes a ride up there every year, just for that!
excellent my friend, I will let my wife know. We are actually both from Massachusetts ourselves just outside of Boston.

That sounds absolutely fantastic!

Old 05-12-2019, 08:57 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

If you happen around the Putney area, there is an old school BBQ’er, Curtis who runs Curtis’ Ribs. It is an outdoor area working out if an old run down bus and covered BBQ pit. Every weekend, that place is packed with bikers all summer long. Great food there too. Give him a google and check out the photos and reviews. Looks a little seedy until you figure out its a VT charm. He’s right off exit 4 on 91.

The following users liked this post:
BuzzCap7 (05-12-2019)

Quick Reply: Vermont Small Towns.......