Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil filter relocation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 09:37 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts
Default Oil filter relocation?

Ok .. in theory if you relocate your filter to a brace on the frame, wouldn't it aid in cooling the oil down a bit? Or is the oil cooler the best thing to do? This is for an 01 fxdl.

I'm also looking at the filter relocation to cut down on the mess when changing my oil.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:30 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,750 Likes on 3,962 Posts

I'm running both a Jagg low mount oil cooler and the 3Guyz oil filter relocation; the oil cooler will show you more significant temperature reductions. I did see some additional cooling with the oil filter relocation but my primary reason for adding the relocation was for ease of oil filter removals; and I admit, I thought it looked pretty trick as well

Some claim you won't see any additional cooling with a relocation, some say you will see a bit of added cooling; I am seeing some additional cooling as observed with my Power Vision but I do wonder how much of it has to do with my FLO PCS4C permanent oil filter. The filter housing is heavy billet; I wonder if placing that filter out in the wind is more effective than an OEM paper filter used on a relocation and that's the primary reason I do see some added cooling. The only way I'd know for sure is to use an OEM oil filter and see what the numbers are after that.

One note if you do go the low mount oil cooler/relocation route; I've re-plumbed them several times now due to space issues creating hose bends tighter than I'd like. Earlier this week I removed the Jagg thermostatic adapter to gain additional room and I'm plumbing the low mount Jagg oil cooler core and the relocation in series using only the 3Guyz billet engine adapter.

If your primary goal is added cooling the oil cooler is the way to go, but even with the added drama of both a low mount oil cooler and an oil filter relocation I'd still buy the relocation again; mess free filter removals and it does look sweet with that PCS4C sitting out on the downtube

Old 04-11-2017, 06:28 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't run an oil cooler but when I relocated the oil filter I had oil temps on average 5-7*C cooler than before!! So yes they definitely do help, albeit just a few degrees.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:21 AM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member

Now a thought that I just thought of...
Are you running a braided hose or straight up rubber hose? I can find the rubber hose a dime a dozen, but really haven't see seen a braided conversion?

Old 04-11-2017, 08:22 AM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member

I like the idea of the re usable filter too. I like the looks of it

Old 04-11-2017, 09:04 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by REW13
Now a thought that I just thought of...
Are you running a braided hose or straight up rubber hose? I can find the rubber hose a dime a dozen, but really haven't see seen a braided conversion?
With the 3Guyz relocation they use Parker Push-Loc hose connectors. Never tried the braided hose due to some of the routing I need they seemed too stiff but the hose with the 3Guyz kit is Parker 350 PSI reinforced hose; I've also used Gates 400 PSI reinforced hose as well with equal success. I pick up the Gates fiber braid reinforced hose at the NAPA store.

If I were running a side mount oil cooler I'd look in to the braided hose but the black reinforced hose looks pretty decent.

Originally Posted by REW13
I like the idea of the re usable filter too. I like the looks of it
The filter is a PC Racing FLO PCS4C; I've been using them for years on sport bikes and HD's. This filter has migrated to 3 different HD's. They're also available in black; Amazon will have the best pricing on them.

Polished:
Amazon Amazon

Black:
Amazon Amazon

A good review of the filter: http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/flo-oil-filter/

You can see the low mount Jagg, the PCS4C, the relocation, and the fittings in this image; the hose is Parker 350 PSI hose...

Old 04-11-2017, 05:17 PM
st john
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I will be relocating my filter just as soon as the price comes down or more competition hit the market to make it price effective.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:48 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,936 Likes on 1,112 Posts

I've been running a PurePower permanent filter for 2 seasons now and have purchased the 3 Guys relocation kit for my 2014 Breakout. The kit goes on at next oil change.

I'm doing this for oil change convenience primarily but the cooling benefit attracts me too. Also,,, the darn things look just great !!

Old 04-12-2017, 01:50 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I just run the black lines. I think it looks good with the black clamps, on a black bike, with a black filter from K&P Engineering. The relocation kit is from DK Customs and I'm very happy with both.

Attached Thumbnails Oil filter relocation?-photo604.jpg  
Old 04-12-2017, 06:56 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by st john
I will be relocating my filter just as soon as the price comes down or more competition hit the market to make it price effective.

There is a patent on the design of the relocation

Originally Posted by Oz Nightrain
I just run the black lines. I think it looks good with the black clamps, on a black bike, with a black filter from K&P Engineering. The relocation kit is from DK Customs and I'm very happy with both.

Did you use the supplied hose and clamps that came with the DK kit? If you ever run it to any issues with the hose or clamps you could upgrade to Gates 3/8" I.D. 400 PSI reinforced oil cooler hose and #16 fuel injection clamps; it works perfectly on the DK supplied barbed fittings; I'd think you'd be able to get those down in Oz.

Do you notice any additional tension on the clutch cable due to the positioning of the relocation oil filter mount?

Quick Reply: Oil filter relocation?