Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Redline 20W-50 in Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 08:09 AM
CyGlide
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
Truly I think you need to recheck your cognitive approach.
Do a little research on the 4-ball wear test. Most agree that it's ability to measure oil performance in an engine is low. This is great marketing from Amsoil. I'm not saying that Amsoil isn't a good oil, but that test is not gospel. Most use that test for gear oils, not engine oils.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:12 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by CyGlide
Do a little research on the 4-ball wear test. Most agree that it's ability to measure oil performance in an engine is low. This is great marketing from Amsoil. I'm not saying that Amsoil isn't a good oil, but that test is not gospel. Most use that test for gear oils, not engine oils.
I have searched.
There is nothing more to find! I have spent literally hours searching reports and read...Amsoil looks pretty good.
I said this the other day " If Amsoil was fudging the test, the oil companies would sue them! They would not let them stand. It would be Over . It would be Done,"
No way would they let that little oil company stand there and wave false shet all over the internet
Next, if you owned an oil company and the lab reports were not as good would they post it?
Nope.
So- we all have to choose a path based on the information we believe.
Some use the color of the label, or what some dumb **** race car driver was paid to say-
From here to the end of the internet I can't find a bad thing about Amsoil, even over at "bob the oil guy" say all good things.
I have read how to cheat the "one arm bandit bearing test". Pretty simple,-
Too simple and now I hold it as of no relevance in a test.
As for me, I have no money to be made on whatever you choose to use for oil.
I do like to discuss facts and that pisses people off quite regularly.
If you can show me and I would appreciate it where Amsoil flunked out I would surely like to read it too!
I assure you, if another oil comes up better on the test reports, I will switch. right now!

Old 08-07-2018, 10:35 AM
CyGlide
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
I have searched.
There is nothing more to find! I have spent literally hours searching reports and read...Amsoil looks pretty good.
I said this the other day " If Amsoil was fudging the test, the oil companies would sue them! They would not let them stand. It would be Over . It would be Done,"
No way would they let that little oil company stand there and wave false shet all over the internet
Next, if you owned an oil company and the lab reports were not as good would they post it?
Nope.
So- we all have to choose a path based on the information we believe.
Some use the color of the label, or what some dumb **** race car driver was paid to say-
From here to the end of the internet I can't find a bad thing about Amsoil, even over at "bob the oil guy" say all good things.
I have read how to cheat the "one arm bandit bearing test". Pretty simple,-
Too simple and now I hold it as of no relevance in a test.
As for me, I have no money to be made on whatever you choose to use for oil.
I do like to discuss facts and that pisses people off quite regularly.
If you can show me and I would appreciate it where Amsoil flunked out I would surely like to read it too!
I assure you, if another oil comes up better on the test reports, I will switch. right now!
I didn't say that Amsoil wasn't a good oil. What I am saying is that the 4 ball wear test is not a test that is indicative of how an oil will perform in an engine. That is not what that test was designed for, so it should not be used as a measure of one engine oil being better than another. https://www.researchgate.net/publica...oil_evaluation Here's a good paper that the authors found only a small correlation between engine wear and the 4 ball wear test.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:51 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

I have done my honest best to be objective in my research.
I have found out that "Moil One" invented the 4 ball test.
It may not be the end all.
I am always open to suggestions and also to be pointed to other results.
thanx