Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

ANY 1 USING A REUSABLE OIL FILTER

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 01:57 AM
TOMCENTRAL
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANY 1 USING A REUSABLE OIL FILTER

Anyone have expierence with either a PurePower Reusable Oil Filter&nbsp\\;or a K&amp\\;P Reusable Oil Filter?Recommendations on which one is better or how well they work?Regards,Tom [/align]

Old 06-15-2008, 10:53 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts
Default RE: ANY 1 USING A REUSABLE OIL FILTER

my thought is the standard disposible filter does as much filtering as the motor needs. For the cost and added mess of washing out a filter, I don't see it.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:41 PM
TOMCENTRAL
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: big cahuna

my thought is the standard disposible filter does as much filtering as the motor needs. For the cost and added mess of washing out a filter, I don't see it.
Your opinion is duley noted.Back to the original question.....Regards,Tom

Old 06-16-2008, 07:42 AM
RA51
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used one of these Scotts reuseable oil filters on my 02 sportster. Traded in the sportster on the dyna I have now. It was a very well made product that was easy to remove an clean. Liked the magnet on the internal element as it picked up alot of powder type particles on it at each cleaning. There was really no big mess to clean it. I just rinse the filter out an wiped out the inside container an reassemble. Maybe 5 to 10 minutes to clean it an assemble. But also lowered my oil temp by 10 degree's. The o-ring that seals to motor on housing you did not have to replace. Had mine for 4 years on the bike with never a leak from o-ring. I am thinking of getting one for my dyna now. It is expensive versus just buying filters but that is just up to the individual. Is it better than a regular oil filter could tell you.
http://www.scottsonline.com/products...HarleyDavidson

Old 06-16-2008, 08:16 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Yeah, purpower leaked &amp\\; sent it back

Old 06-16-2008, 08:50 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: TOMCENTRAL

Anyone have expierence with either a PurePower Reusable Oil Filter&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;or a K&amp\\;\\\\\\;P Reusable Oil Filter?Recommendations on which one is better or how well they work?Regards,Tom [/align]
Convert the 30 micron to thousands of an inch and ask yourself how you feel about that size of partical traveling around, over and over in the oil. Just not fine enough for modern engines, especially the tc 96 with hydraulic tensioners.
Ron

Old 06-17-2008, 12:14 AM
TOMCENTRAL
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: rbabos

Anyone have expierence with either a PurePower Reusable Oil Filter&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;or a K&amp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;P Reusable Oil Filter?Recommendations on which one is better or how well they work?Regards,Tom [/align]
Convert the 30 micron to thousands of an inch and ask yourself how you feel about that size of partical traveling around, over and over in the oil. Just not fine enough for modern engines, especially the tc 96 with hydraulic tensioners.
Ron
THE HD FILTER ONLY FILTERS 5 MICRONS 80% OF THE TIME &amp\\; ZERO ON COLD STARTS BECAUSE IT BYPASSES THE FILTER!THE K&amp\\;P FILTERS 35 MICRONS 100% OF THE TIME.Regards,Tom pslus the K&amp\\;P flows 7Xs more than the hd spin on &amp\\; decreases engine temps.Dan Baisley recommends them,especially for the TWINCAM 96s.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Arty1941
6th Gear

I am using this filter\\;
&nbsp\\;
http://www.gopurepower.com/store/ite...ItemID=8110-BF
&nbsp\\;
I am running a Heritage with a 116 custom built engine putting out 128 HP and 132 FPT.&nbsp\\; I wanted every bit of cooling I could get.&nbsp\\; The filter is kind of a pain to clean, but if they can do it at NASCAR, I guess I can handle it.&nbsp\\; The only problem is that I have to remove the NOX bottle to change the filter, one of my better installation ideas.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:51 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: rbabos

Anyone have expierence with either a PurePower Reusable Oil Filter&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;or a K&amp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;P Reusable Oil Filter?Recommendations on which one is better or how well they work?Regards,Tom [/align]
Ron
THE HD FILTER ONLY FILTERS 5 MICRONS 80% OF THE TIME &amp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; ZERO ON COLD STARTS BECAUSE IT BYPASSES THE FILTER!THE K&amp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;P FILTERS 35 MICRONS 100% OF THE TIME.Regards,Tom pslus the K&amp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;P flows 7Xs more than the hd spin on &amp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; decreases engine temps.Dan Baisley recommends them,especially for the TWINCAM 96s.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
Flows 7 times more oil into the sump via the pressure relief valve, not through the bearings. The eccess is dumped through the normal pressure regulating process. 5 micron at 80% is good. What's the % at 30 micron with the 5 micron filter? I think when it's all added up, it's way better than an absolute 35. Filtration is a product of time. Just because it goes on bypass when cold doesn't mean there's a handfull of shavings ready to travel through the engine. The filter was doing it's job from the last run. As for Nascar, they don't&nbsp\\;care about fine filtration, as easy inspection is what's more important to them. All racing oil filters are coarse and not recommended for a daily driver.
Ron