Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

oil amounts

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 04:27 PM
floydpink
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil amounts

Well, I am about to buy AMSOIL for my first oil change. I think I will keep it to AMSOILin all 3 holes, unless that's a mistake.

I'm guessing buying the AMSOIL by the case is the way to go?

Is there a link or answerto how much of each oil is required for a 2000 SE Fatboy? I have done a brief search and can't locate it, although I am sure I could call the dealer.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:38 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: oil amounts

All the quantities are listed in the owners manual for each bike. I would also recommend getting a service manual too.

There are a lot of choices as far as oil goes but keep in mind that the availability of the oil comes into play here too. Unless you want to carry oil with you, there are many stores that stock popular brands like Mobil 1 , redline and others. Just another view.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:42 PM
floydpink
Tourer

that's actually a great point. I am between Mobil1 and AMSOIL, but am discovering you need to go through a dealer for the AMSOIL, which all seem to be individual guys at least in my area.

So far, they have been very responsive and helpful, but I am very open to trying Mobil1 if it is avaiable in many stores or gas stations. I have used it in my autos with great success.

I guess what I am wondering, is, do you guys buy what you need for each oil change?

I will have to carry it because my harley dealer only uses HD oil.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:42 PM
jetsled
Intermediate

I would put HD Formula Plus in the primary. I even had a Amsoil dealer say that when no one else was around. The debate over which oil in the engine and trany goes on for ever but I would stick with that in the primary. My2cents. As far as amounts?? pick up a service manual for 50bucks you will save that much the first time you pick up a tool

Old 05-11-2007, 05:04 PM
floydpink
Tourer

You're right, service manual paypaled a minute ago.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:32 PM
glide
Road Warrior

Way to go there with the manual

You can pick up the Mobil 1 by the case and sometimes get a better price by the case too.

I usually have enough for 2-3 complete fluid changes including filters on hand for my own, it'sjust easier that way.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:07 PM
floydpink
Tourer

Do you pick up the Mobil1 at a regular gas station???

Old 05-11-2007, 07:13 PM
glide
Road Warrior

You can find it at auto stores like pep boys, auto zone, napa, wallmartand a few others too and I believe that mobil stations carry it as well. It's easy to find.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:25 PM
floydpink
Tourer

The easy to find part just made my AMSOIL or Mobil1 decision a lot easier.

Not that AMSOIL is hard to find.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:30 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: floydpink

Well, I am about to buy AMSOIL for my first oil change. I think I will keep it to AMSOILin all 3 holes, unless that's a mistake.

I'm guessing buying the AMSOIL by the case is the way to go?

Is there a link or answerto how much of each oil is required for a 2000 SE Fatboy? I have done a brief search and can't locate it, although I am sure I could call the dealer.
"floydpink"

“Well, I am about to buy AMSOIL for my first oil change. I think I will keep it to AMSOIL in all 3 holes, unless that's a mistake. “

I am a believer in gear oil for trannys , you will hear all kinds of stuff like the viscosity is the same, it’s somewhat true, but I just installed a Baker 6 speed (along with a new engine) since I am using AMSOIL in my motor, AMSOIL was one of the lubes that Baker recommends the stock number is FGR 75W-90 Long Life forget the their “Severe Gear” lube IMO and from what I hear from other users it’s over kill it used for high pressures, there is nothing going on (as far as I know) in harley type trannys that develops high pressures, and don’t forget to get that motor hot before changing (draining) the oil in it.

“I'm guessing buying the AMSOIL by the case is the way to go?”

why ? unless you want to, I buy one gal plus one quart every time I make an order, I keep building up the qt bottles to have on hand, hay you heard and will keep on hearing about if you need oil on the road ? well whats the deal with that, are going on a cross country trip ? check your oil before you go, and if you need it pick up some, getMobile One, I say Mobile One because unless you find a independent m/c dealer in the area your going find little chance of finding Mobile V Twin 20-50 motorcycle oil on the rack of a gas station, most likely won’t find Mobile One in the weight you want either. Remember AMSOIL MCV 20-50 Motorcycle oil, also my little point is never use an oil not made for “air-cooled” motorcycles and I don’t care if it’s syn or not, but its ok to mix a little of say Mobile One with AMSOIL.

Just do a few things, stick with one type / brand of oil, don’t run different brands of oil in your ride, someone read an article in a m/c mag stating that sludge forms real fast mixing oil, now the story was on Dino oil, real short, different oil makers use different additives and different amounts, it’s this that doesn’t mix right, I didn’t read it, but trust the guy who did and it kind of makes sense.

Btw- no problem in getting a half or a full quart of Mobile oil on the road and using it, AMSOIL doesn’t have a problem with that, so I see it as no big deal.

“Is there a link or answer to how much of each oil is required for a 2000 SE Fatboy? I have done a brief search and can't locate it, although I am sure I could call the dealer. “

[font="times new roman"][color=#0000cc][size=3]You got some good advice already here, get the Owners Manual, best money you can spend on your ride, if you have a little extra get the “Parts Manual” for your model this way you can see exploded views of parts how they go together, and the best part of this the bo

Quick Reply: oil amounts