Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Wrong viscosity..now what?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 07:51 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

I just read in Motorcycle Consumer News that a new Yamaha model is using that weight oil. Won't hurt to find out. You do have a Yammy dealer near you, don't you?

Old 09-01-2016, 05:18 PM
TN Houndog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Honda Goldwing and most other jap bikes use that weight oil and I'm almost sure there's some kind of "swapin and sellin" paper in your area. That's where I'd start!

Old 09-03-2016, 09:36 PM
Mr.Offroad
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. I've tried everything around here. No takers. I'm gonna give Amsoil a call and see if there's something we can work out.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:46 AM
tfi racing
Road Master
Received 401 Likes on 199 Posts

Viscosity numbers are just an educated guess at best.That 40 number could actually be anywhere from 35 to 45, the 50 anywhere from 45 to 55,and remember that is only in a controlled lab conducting specific tests under specific conditions.Anyways,who in their right mind would trust anything those oil company ******** say,explain to me why oil prices are in the toilet but the price of a jug of oil on the shelf hasn't dropped any...

Old 09-05-2016, 05:19 AM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by tfi racing
Anyways,who in their right mind would trust anything those oil company ******** say,explain to me why oil prices are in the toilet but the price of a jug of oil on the shelf hasn't dropped any...
It's not just the motor oil companies. What about shipping carriers, tire manufacturers, plastic products, etc. who are all still gouging the hell out of we the consumer after some pretty drastic increases in prices and rates when oil was at the high end? What's their excuse now other than pure greed?

Old 09-06-2016, 08:51 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lakerat
It's not just the motor oil companies. What about shipping carriers, tire manufacturers, plastic products, etc. who are all still gouging the hell out of we the consumer after some pretty drastic increases in prices and rates when oil was at the high end? What's their excuse now other than pure greed?

BINGO!! there's your answer tfi racing

Old 09-06-2016, 08:54 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Offroad
Thanks for the input. I've tried everything around here. No takers. I'm gonna give Amsoil a call and see if there's something we can work out.
That "might" help. Depends on how old that oil is. Does it have the old label or new label? That might be an issue. Won't hurt to try.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:39 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,541 Likes on 3,012 Posts

Are you under the impression that a "thicker" oil is superior to a "thinner" oil?
Don't be...

Old 09-20-2016, 06:17 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 818 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Offroad
I recently inadvertently purchased 4 cases of Amsoil 20w40 oil from a crooked dealer that went out of business. He claimed it was for my Harleys, even though I swore I had been using 20w50. He gave me a good price on them, so I picked em up. After returning home, I looked it up on the internet, and found they formulated this for Victory and newer Indian motorcycles. My question is, now that I'm hung with this stuff, would I dare use it in my Harleys? I have an '09 CVO Ultra and an '07 Wide Glide.
Every single person on planet earth can be an Amsoil dealer for a $20.00 bill, to perpetuate the pyramid of this oufit, similar to how Amway was set up years ago.
That said, it would most likely protect the engine, BUT, you would hear noises that could be traced back to what would be lifter-related, from the lack of ability to maintain proper lifter hydrology, 1) because of the 20W40, and 2) because of the thin(ner) properties of Amsoil.
H-D service manual outlines the viscosity per ambient air temps.
Not an opinion, not a google search, and not what someones uncles. cousins, friend, told him while at the tavern the other night.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:15 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Every single person on planet earth can be an Amsoil dealer for a $20.00 bill, to perpetuate the pyramid of this oufit, similar to how Amway was set up years ago.
That said, it would most likely protect the engine, BUT, you would hear noises that could be traced back to what would be lifter-related, from the lack of ability to maintain proper lifter hydrology, 1) because of the 20W40, and 2) because of the thin(ner) properties of Amsoil.
H-D service manual outlines the viscosity per ambient air temps.
Not an opinion, not a google search, and not what someones uncles. cousins, friend, told him while at the tavern the other night.
Scott
Nothing like Amway. Stop perpetuating a myth.

From Wikipedia. "A pyramid scheme is a business model that recruits members via a promise of payments or services for enrolling others into the scheme, rather than supplying investments or sale of products or services. As recruiting multiplies, recruiting becomes quickly impossible, and most members are unable to profit; as such, pyramid schemes are unsustainable and often illegal."

1 I was not recruited
2 I do not recruit new members and did not get paid for new members
3 I got no commission
4 The only reason I became a dealer was to purchase oil at a very good discount because I used a lot of it. That's all, and I did save a bundle vs buying other syn oils. The warehouse was down the block from where I work so shipping was not a factor either.
5 If it was a pyramid scheme and illegal, I'm sure the law would have closed them down 60 years ago. So far no one has been arrested that I know of. do you??
6 Besides, Amsoil is sold at many Harley dealers and other auto stores.
I've used Amsoil products for over 30 years with no oil related problems.
People just hate it when a private individual makes a good product and sells it at a reasonable price without going through the normal channels ...... and beating most of the other large oil cartels as the survey shows.

Quick Reply: Wrong viscosity..now what?