Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Should I keep or should I change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 02:02 PM
Terry Horseman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alarmdoug
Dont over think it.

1. Transmission and Primary use Formula+

2. Listen to what is in the owner manual regarding how much fluids to put in, not forums.

3. Any 20w50 will do in the engine but I do not know the ratings so well in France.
I assume you use the ACEA which I think I would go for a A3/B4 oil in a 20w50 or better yet any ACEA "E" rated oil.

4. Sorry, I just dont believe in this motorcycle oil marketing industry. Most motorcycle oils carry NO certifications only claims and huge profits.

ACEA oils in your country (As API oils in the USA) are actually tested then certified to meet certain requirements.
Thank you alarmdoug but this is not so easy.

1. In an ideal world, Formula+ would be dealed everywhere but in France, when we found genuine HD oil, a coat of dust covers the can... And the price is at least €14 ($16.50) for 32 oz. Then, I believe I'll choose for the tranny the High performance SAE 80W90 RevTech and for the primary the High performance Motorcycle Primary Lube RevTech.
These products have got the preference of a lot of French Bikers then they are "fresh" and the prices match with quality: one dedicated to the GearBox and another to the clutch and the chain, isn't it better?

2. You are right about forums except this one: there is no BullSh.. in the posts of this topic, all responses are interesting include Yours and both of them will help my little piece of mind to take the right decision, I'm sure.

3. Motul 7100 SAE 20W50 is an oil that can be compared with the Screamin' Eagle Syn 3. The engine of my Dyna seems to like it and this one has never heat something else. If my big twin was an old one, I should change for a mineral oil but this is a 2011 Twin Cam 96 CI.

4. Me too I don't believe in the motorcycle oil industry, including the MoCo's Oil Partners. The 3 oils I should probably choose seems to match with requirements but I'll verify this important point before to decide.

Last edited by Terry Horseman; 08-11-2017 at 03:53 PM.