Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Engine Running 20 degrees cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 11:31 PM
YTHOG
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Running 20 degrees cooler

Just had my 1000 miles checkup. I changed all 3 holes with Redline oil. Heavey Shockproof in the trans, MTL in the primary and 20w50 in the engine. The tranny shifts smoother and I don't have to try to find neutral now. I never did have a problem with the 5th gear. Mine never has made any whinning or grinding noises,so nothing has changed there. However, the best part is that my engine is now running 20 degrees cooler. Todays outdoor temp was 89 degrees with a lot of humidity. At this temp, the engine would run at 220 degrees and sometimes 225. I took the bike out after the oil change today for about a 75 mile ride. Got home and checked the temp and it was at 200 degrees. I'm impressed!

Old 06-27-2007, 09:57 AM
EZ2Rider
Road Master
Default RE: Engine Running 20 degrees cooler

YTHOG, yep, it IS good stuff. Only class V synthetic I know of and you may want to try the 20/60 variety in really hot weather. Same stuff just more protection and no down side. I might use the 20/50 in the fall but in Florida and NC in the Summer, the 20/60 is the schnizzle, IMHO.

EZ

Old 06-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Redline = good stuff.
I'll be dumping the dealer-installed Amsoil in mine for Redline when I do the 5k service in another 1000 miles...

Old 06-27-2007, 11:11 AM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

Lost1, the Amsoil is good stuff too. You are lucky the dealer used it instead of Syn III, IMHO. I just don't think it is as good in a transmission asRedline HD Shockproof or even Amsoil's own transmission specific lubes.

The other reason I like Redline is the lack of "cult loyalty" around it. The absolute dedication to oil, as demonstrated by many Amsoil folks, is almost funny if it wasn't so annoying.

Like I said, I like Redline products and find my comfort level there BUT Mobile one, Redline, Royal purple and, probably, many others will suit and serve most of us just fine, without having to pledge allegiance.

EZ

Old 06-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree EZ, and believe Amsoil is good oil. But when my dealer put Severe Gear in the tranny at the 1K service, the 5th gear whine got much louder and it suddenly developed the 6th gear clatter. Doesn't mean the oil is bad, it just transfers noise better in my gearbox than the OEM oil did. So Shockproof will be going in at 5k miles.

The other reason is as mentioned- the "Amsoil's best!" cheerleading gets on my nerves to the point that it cost them my business.
And from what I've read I'm not the only one...

Old 06-27-2007, 06:09 PM
Mad Dawg
Advanced

ORIGINAL: YTHOG

Just had my 1000 miles checkup. I changed all 3 holes with Redline oil. Heavey Shockproof in the trans, MTL in the primary and 20w50 in the engine. The tranny shifts smoother and I don't have to try to find neutral now. I never did have a problem with the 5th gear. Mine never has made any whinning or grinding noises,so nothing has changed there. However, the best part is that my engine is now running 20 degrees cooler. Todays outdoor temp was 89 degrees with a lot of humidity. At this temp, the engine would run at 220 degrees and sometimes 225. I took the bike out after the oil change today for about a 75 mile ride. Got home and checked the temp and it was at 200 degrees. I'm impressed!

What was in the 3 holes prior ? Did you do the "complete oil change to clear the crank" or just the standard oil change....just curious, as i did the complete with Mobil One V-Twin 20 w 50 in the crank & primary and Mobil One 75 w 90 gear lube in the tranny. I may give the Redline a go next season...thanks !

Old 06-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Phins74
Cruiser

Complete? Please explain.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:36 PM
YTHOG
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Mad Dawg

What was in the 3 holes prior ? Did you do the "complete oil change to clear the crank" or just the standard oil change....just curious, as i did the complete with Mobil One V-Twin 20 w 50 in the crank & primary and Mobil One 75 w 90 gear lube in the tranny. I may give the Redline a go next season...thanks !

Prior to my 1000 mile checkup,itwas the original regular oil that Harley puts in. I changed to synthetic on the 1000 mile checkup. Only have about 150 miles on the Redline, but have noticed a big reduction in oil temp. I don't know if they cleared the crank. I didn't ask for it. What really blew my mine was that my dealer recommeded and also stocks the Redline oil. He did notrank on or say anything bad about Syn3, just said that I would be happyand notice a difference with Redline and he was right. Give it a try. I'm sure It's like everything else, it works for some and not for others.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:37 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Those are good numbers, but you likely would do as well with any other high-quality synthetic. I'm not using Redline and see 180-200° in normal running, not higher than 210° in traffic after my last map tweak, and I've generally leaned my map out for optimum gas mileage. I do have an oil cooler, which helps.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:53 PM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, i think i will be putting in redline 20w60 at 1000. this florida heat is brutal

Quick Reply: Engine Running 20 degrees cooler