Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil filter mount adapter specs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 01:44 PM
Quartersawn
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil filter mount adapter specs.

Just changed my oil in my 2008 Dyna Fat Bob. The filter was put on too tight or cross threaded by the last guy. When I unscrewed the filter, the male-male adapter that goes into the mount came out with it. (Pic below). Long story short, I couldn't get the adapter out without destroying the filter and I wasn't confident the adapter could be reused. I put the old filter back on and it threaded in fine with no leaks. Ordered a new adapter.

I have looked through the service manual and done quite a bit of searching on here but I cannot find the proper procedure (thread treatment, torque specs) for this adapter. I am sure it is out there but it has eluded me. Can anyone help?

Here is the adapter I ordered. Harley was 7-10 business days as usual.

Oil Filter Adapter

Old 04-05-2023, 02:19 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,018 Likes on 2,821 Posts

What's hard about getting that out??? Clamp the filter in a vise and squash it good. Then with the proper size socket, a combination wrench or an adjustable wrench unscrew the adaptor. Clean out the threads in the filter housing and adaptor, add some red LocTite to the correct end and tighten it in to the housing. No need to torque it. Just run it in snug then give it final tug and it's good. Let it sit a bit before you install a new filter, add oil and start. No magic here.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hey Man:
MotoJockey (04-05-2023), Vec (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 02:46 PM
Quartersawn
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man

What's hard about getting that out??? Clamp the filter in a vise and squash it good. Then with the proper size socket, a combination wrench or an adjustable wrench unscrew the adaptor. Clean out the threads in the filter housing and adaptor, add some red LocTite to the correct end and tighten it in to the housing. No need to torque it. Just run it in snug then give it final tug and it's good. Let it sit a bit before you install a new filter, add oil and start. No magic here.
I am confident I could have gotten it out. However, at the time the only information I had was that Harley wouldn't have one for me for 7-10 business days. I just assumed the threads to the filter were stripped. Wanted to play it save and have a slightly old filter rather than no filter for an upcoming ride.

I appreciate the advice though. I just want to be careful with integral pieces. If I crack something now I will miss my upcoming road trip.

Last edited by Quartersawn; 04-05-2023 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-05-2023, 09:21 PM
BigD48
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Someone posted about that a few weeks ago.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-a...-filter-2.html