Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

I tried the "total" oil change method...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Default I tried the "total" oil change method...

And it was pretty simple!

All's you need to purchase in a cheap$9 AC/ fuel line remover kit at Autozone, and a few feet of vinyl 3/8 tubing.

I can also comment that I now know, you DEFINATELY leave a good amount of skank oil in the system with the normal drain/fill type oil change.. After I disconnected the oil return line, I ran the bike to purge out the skanked oil, and it's was dark brown, it took about a good 45 seconds to purge until I observed a clean, golden color of oil exiting the line. At least I now know, when I change my oil, ALL my oil is starting out clean....

Old 04-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: I tried the "total" oil change method...

No disrespect, but I've been changing my own oil in scooters, cycles, and cars for almost 50 years by the old fashioned method and have never seen the slightest indication that a small amount of "skank" oil hurts anything.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:46 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another one 'duped'...if you change your oil at reasonable intervals you neednt worry about residuals...JMPO...YMMV...:&gt

Old 04-07-2008, 08:07 AM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: Uncle Scrooge

No disrespect, but I've been changing my own oil in scooters, cycles, and cars for almost 50 years by the old fashioned method and have never seen the slightest indication that a small amount of "skank" oil hurts anything.
It's not a "small" amount of oil. It's about 24 oz. ofoldthat's left in a 3-1/2 qt. capacity system. That being said, it's reason enough for me.....

But thanks for the 50 years of experience. Just for the record, I've also wrenched on everything with 2 and 4wheels for the past 28 years.....

Old 04-07-2008, 08:24 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Waste of time, IMO. But, if it makes you feel good, do it.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:04 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

No external oil lines on mine so I'm off the hook for this one.....

Old 04-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Uncle Scrooge

Reading this thread triggered an old memory. I am not a wrench like some of you so bear with me.
I do however change my own fluids in my cars, my bike etc. Back when I rode a,( sorry for the bad word coming up ) Honda 750, and my brother had one also, we'd change our oils together.
Well we also wanted the old "Skank" oil out, but no oil return line,, so we'd leave the run switch to off...(the motor would still crank) and crank the motor a few cycles and watch the "Skank" oil pump out. Then, clean up fill with fresh 20-50 and be done with it.
So rather than removing the return line on the Harley, why not just disconnect the plug wires,,give her a few cranks..and.....watch the "skank" pump out? Any reason this wouldn't work?
I'm curious to see what you guys that turn wrenches for a living have to say..
Ride safe, and often

Old 04-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Soft06

I'm curious to see what you guys that turn wrenches for a living have to say..
Ride safe, and often
30+ years as a professional wrench here and like the man said- I have never seen the slightest indication that a small amount of "skank" oil hurts anything.

But I also believe that it's your bike, and if it gives you peace of mind then do it.

Just my .02...

Old 04-09-2008, 11:13 PM
2006UltraClassic
Novice

20+ years here...but that is besides the point. I dont feel that running a motor with no oil in the sump a good idea under any circumstance no matter what kind of WONDER OIL you may use.Skanky oil? WTF? That would/should only happen if the oil wasnt getting circulated through the system and there was a collection point for it to gather to get skanky.
Dont get me wrong....I aint bashing, just kind of wondering......"why?"
But, if it feels good, do it.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:17 PM
LUMPY100
Novice

seeing that i have been a mechanic for 150+ years, ive never ever heard of oil being "skank".. is that professional term. "skank" used to refer to less than desireable female, not oil. use a good quality oil, a good filter, change it between 2500 and 5000. and u should never have an oil related problem

Quick Reply: I tried the "total" oil change method...