Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Synthetic Gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 11:09 PM
Wolf
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Synthetic Gasoline

I just read in a technical journal that a new synthetic gasoline is coming out and the research and development has and is still being done by Mobil. More to come within the next two years according to the white paper. Should be very interesting.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:15 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 148 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: Synthetic Gasoline

Yep, they have a pill like alka seltzer, you pop it in the tank and add water

You're not gonna get me on this one

Old 02-11-2006, 12:48 AM
SKJOLD
Elite HDF Member

Aww dang, so it is just a joke? I was hoping someone would come up with a way to do it. The only way I have come up with so far, was to geneticly engineer bacteria to make a more potent form of alcohol that has many of the charachteristics and energy potental of gasoline.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:56 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

I think I read about that. It's a cracked molecule technology that usese panda bear urine as a base stock.

Old 02-11-2006, 01:09 AM
Harley Al
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you Shi* a wakin you get the same Shi*....its all Shi* BS that is!

Old 02-12-2006, 01:59 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 462 Posts

The Board's consultants had expressed confidence that the Mobil process could be scaled up from the bench scale and Mobil had reinforced this by proposing to construct a commercial plant.

With the subsequent Government decision to accept the Board's recommendations, New Zealand became a pioneer in the production of synthetic fuels through its use of the remarkable shape-selective zeolite catalyst (ZSM-5) which transforms methanol into the hydrocarbons which constitute high octane gasoline.

The construction of the Mobil gasoline plant at Motunui, the complementary expansion of the oil refinery at Whangarei and the building of a stand-alone plant to produce methanol for export formed the core of the National Government's 'Think Big' policy. Together they had a capital cost in excess of three billion dollars.

Source: http://www.techhistory.co.nz/ThinkBi...0Decisions.htm

The gasoline plant is no longer producing, but the process still exists and is being studied again. Both Shell and Exxon Mobil are producing a clean diesel substitute, made from natural gas. However, with the cost of natural gas just recently dropping from all-time high levels, the stuff is probably still too expensive. Here's some more about it: http://news.com.com/Shell,+Exxon+Mob...3-5969082.html
Note where they say it can be drunk, but you might not feel too good. Got a kick outta that!

Old 02-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Wolf
Road Captain

A goodly portion of your gasoline is already synthetic (look what some of the additives are).

I have the beta test bike and it's already faster than Bill's now with Wal-Mart regular gasoline and re-refined dino Wal-Mart oil (just any viscosity). I don't kid around on new technologies like this....it's real.....

With the new synthetic gasoline, it is predicted that my bike will outrun a Hayabusa running with "normal" gasoline. I nominate Bill to be the test pilot...[8D]

Old 02-12-2006, 10:07 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 148 Likes on 41 Posts

Hey...I'll take you up on that, I love abuse

Old 02-12-2006, 11:14 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

A goodly portion of your gasoline is already synthetic (look what some of the additives are).

No joke........I am fortunate enough to live within 5 miles of the Marathon gasoline distribution center for the Midwest so there are several Marathon stations that have 100% gasoline. There is a marked difference in a tankful of fresh 91 octane premium versus BP which is really bee pee. KB

Old 02-13-2006, 02:20 AM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't care what they make it out of...just as long as I can splash it on something and light a match and watch stuff burn. I'm cool with that.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Gasoline