Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil change problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:56 PM
maintainin
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil change problem

Hi all, I originally posted this in the cvo forum but realized now that this is probably a better spot for it. Heres the deal:

I changed out my oil and filter earlier. I have an FXDSE2 and changed over to amsoil. These 110 engines hold 4 quarts right? Thats what it says in the service manual supplement. Well, pouring the used oil into a jug I noticed that only about two quarts drained. This is with the oil out of the old filter as well. And I only had to add about two quarts to get it full again. Whats up with that? I know that you probably arent going to get a full 4 quarts in with a wet oil change but dang it should be alot more than 2.

This is bothering the hell out of me. It just doesnt make sense. How does a motorcycle, which says in the book holds 4 quarts, which indicated was full on the dipstick, drain only two quarts including what was in the filter? You dont need to loosen the oil filter the same time as the oil is draining do you? Would not doing so somehow impede the draining of some oil? I took out the plug and was going to take off the filter but discovered I had the wrong freakin oil filter wrench, so while it was draining I went and got another oil filter wrench. I cant remember if I put the plug back in again before I removed the filter. Doesnt seem like it would matter. I know I had the oil fill cap off.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:45 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Your engine could be sumping (oil leaking past the check valve when sitting)and the oil is draining back into the engine and not completely returning to the tank. A couple of questions:

Did you change the oil hot?
Are you sure you are using the right drain plug?

After letting the bike sit for a few days does the oil level on the dipstick go down?

Old 03-17-2009, 10:01 AM
maintainin
Advanced

The oil was pretty warm, but not in my definition of hot which to me is screaming like a son of a bitch if you get some on your hand while changing. Its always been normal when I've checked it cold. Would this check valve problem be something to worry about(affect the perfomance and longevity of the engine) or is it just going to cause a major pain in the *** when changing oil?

Old 03-17-2009, 10:39 AM
maintainin
Advanced

Well doing a search for oil capacities for the fxdse2. I'm coming back with a lot of hits for 3.5 quarts instead of 4 like the book says. That could account for half a quart. Maybe that and I didnt have it hot enough......

I dont know. I'm going to try it again here soon.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:35 AM
scubaharley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it matter if it's on the jiffy stand or upright like on a lift ????????

Old 03-17-2009, 11:56 AM
maintainin
Advanced

Youd think it would be better on the jiffy stand(which is how I had it) since my oil drain is on the left rear side of the pan.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:24 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you own a service manual ?

When you change yer oil, crank yer bike and let it run for a few minutes. Pull the oil filter, drain the oil, while the oil is drainin pull the oil filler cap/stick, it will let it drain faster. When its finished drainin use the dipstick to see that the oil lever in the motor has actually dropped. Then you can put the drain plug back on and prime the new filter a litlte and put the 4 quarts of oil and crank the motor and let it run for a few minutes so it goes threw the filter etc. Let the bike sit and check the oil. It should be a little over full. The bike actually holds 3.8 quarts, but all the mechanics puts 4 qts in the engine on the new bikes.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:06 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by maintainin
Would this check valve problem be something to worry about(affect the perfomance and longevity of the engine) or is it just going to cause a major pain in the *** when changing oil?

No you can replace the check valve and spring for just a few bucks. But if you check the oil cold after the bike has sat for a few days and the level is full you are not sumping. It would show less oil on the stick. Next oil change try getting the oil hot (200-240F) and allow 5 minutes for the oil to return to the tank then drain it. Then take the oil filter off. FWIW my 2006 FXD TC88 holds 3.0 quarts for a dry change (like if you disassemble the engine) or 2.5 qts for a regular "wet" change.

BTW, get some latex gloves at WalMart and you won't burn your fingers pulling the drain bolt out.

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 03-17-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:35 PM
jp13
Tourer

Buy a service manual. It will clear up any question you will have. It is a must purchase.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:56 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

deleted.

Quick Reply: Oil change problem