Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Intersting Oil Observations (or not)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 05:34 PM
OnTheFence
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
OnTheFence, Your project is definately worthwile to provide information on the properties and performace of different oils. I can surely apreciate your efforts. Your labratory oil test results are a pretty credible source of evaluation. When collecting your "during operation temperatures", consider being more specific with your ambient temps. Using "90's" leaves 10 degrees for error; in my experience actively monitoring temperature for my experiments, ambient temp is one of the most influential variables you will encounter. Recording specific outside temps should greatly improve the overall validity of the rest of your data set. I personally use a ZILLA pet reptile thermometer, it has a wired sensor bulb which I mounted under the lower tripple tree. it's out of the sun and out front in the ambient air stream, I think it's good cheap and acurate solution. I wouldnt worry too much about only using one gauge, even if your data isn't "perfect", you can still draw reasonable conclusions if your data collection methodology is consistient.
From what I've seen, I am not sure documenting the exact temp will gain much. Summer days around here are going to fall somewhere between 92-98 with varying humidity. With my analog temp guage, the temps after 30 miles or so were very consistent.

I really didn't set out to document any results as I was just going on observations. I thought when I went from Mobil 1 to the Valvoline, I would see increased temps in the oil. And kept my feeling that the Valvoline was running cooler to myself. Until I sat in traffic and saw the temp guage on my friends bike spike to 300+ 10 minutes before mine did.

We pourd the Brad Penn in his bike, and he reported that he thought it ran cooler than Mobil 1. His bike now has Kendall GT-1 in it. Same results.

I think my curiosity has been satisfied. I found 2 dino oils that seem to handle a 5k OCI just as good as the botique oils do.

On the otherhand, I'd be willing to use and observe most any 20/50, if it just showed up on my doorstep. Doubt that will happen.