Other Countries Other Countries

European ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 10:35 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts
Default European ride

Its my 25th anniversary with the wife, we met in Germany while we were both in the Army, will be doing a European ride fo the event, here is the link to the route I set up. Any advice about these locations would be appreciated, thanks.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...878273&t=h&z=5

Old 07-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like a good route. Like you say, that's a long ride.

Here's a few suggestions based on a few places I've been:

Italy

In Bolzano visit the museum housing Otzi the ice man:

http://www.iceman.it/en/node/226

Between Bolzano and Verona turn off the main road at Mori. Ride down the small road on the western side bordering Lake Garda through Tremosine. It's stunningly beautiful and not out of your way. Stop at one of the villages for an ice cream, the best you will ever eat. Your wife will find the views across lake very romantic (that's what my girlfriend said when I took her there). Do not miss this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Garda

France

Between Martigues and Nimes ride through the Camargue National Park:

http://www.languedoc-france.info/07020201_camargue.htm

Spain

Between Barcelona and Toulouse you could ride up through the mountains into Andorra which is a tiny country between France and Spain. This might add a bit more time to your journey but the route will be more interesting

France again

When you get to Avranches visit St Michaels Mount

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Saint-Michel

Cherbourg is a port and I don't think it's worth visiting

If you ride along the coast road north of Caen instead of riding along the N13 you will be riding alongside the Normandy beaches:

http://www.france-for-visitors.com/f...rance-map.html

If you are closing the loop between Paris and Frankfurt then I'd recommend riding through the Ardennes via Reims, Sedan, Bastogne and Luxembourg.

You are planning to ride to Geneva on the Motorway (Autoroute). You need to be aware of this:

Driving in Switzerland

Motorway Tax - The Vignette

Any vehicle (including motorcycles) and trailer up to 3.5 tonnes using the motorway (roads marked by green signs) must pay a motorway tax.
To show that the tax has been paid, a sticker (vignette routiere) must be displayed in the windscreen. This is valid for one year (1 January to 31 December) and can be bought at post offices, service stations, automobile associations, railway stations and border crossings.
Failure to display the vignette when driving on an autoroute will result in a fine plus the cost of the vignette.
The vignette for a car costs CHF 40 (about 37 US Dollars) and must be bought for the same price regardless of how long the vehicle will be in Switzerland (a day or a year).

HAVE A GREAT TRIP AND RIDE SAFE

Last edited by Steve Zodiac; 07-13-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:22 AM
88b
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without spending a lot of time following every road on your route, can I make a few suggestions so you see some stunning scenery.
Your route from Innsbruck down to Trento in Italy involves the biggest rip off toll road I've ever had the misfortune to use. Wife and I used it to get from Riva del Garda to Innsbruck last Dec, at the Austrian end your looking at $2 a mile. If you have the time detour and ride over Grossglockner this allows you to join the A13 /22 / E45 further down, or go closer to Switzerland and ride htrough the Stelvio national part and Stelvio pass.
Rival del Garda is a good place to stay, lovely town good hotels food and shops including a Danise shop, just don't let the wife near any of the hand bag shops.
Milans a dump with manic drivers, much of hte rest of your route is good. The area around Nantes in France is nice

Old 07-17-2009, 01:33 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master

Sounds like a great trip masterblaster and I agree with the above comments. When you are in Normandy please, please follow the coast road along the invasion beaches rather than the N13, you won't be sorry. Also, if you do go all the way out to Cherbourg, continue on toward Urville-Nacqueville and follow the coast toward Goury as it's spectacular and worth the otherwise boring trip to Cherbourg. Mont St. Michel is worth seeing at a distance but in my opinion a tourist trap for a visit. When you are in the St. Lo area you might consider staying with Ron & Bunty at La Tringale www.normandyvacations.com they welcome tired Harley riders. Enjoy that trip and heed the advice on riding Switzerland - you need a vignette.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:41 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master

One follow up note - are you using a Garmin? If so pm me and I will send you some routes I've ridden in all the areas you are covering, you can then consider scavenging them for the bits you find may fit. It's an ambitious trip you got planned. Good luck.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 603 Likes on 326 Posts

Nice trip! Are you shipping your own bikes, or renting. Either way, can you give me any pricing?

I am planning a similar trip for next year, or 2011 depending on a few things I have to get lines up first. But I want to include going down Italy, taking a ferry to Greece, then Serbia, the Croatian Coast (a must!!!) and back to Germany.

So any tips on prices for freight, or renting are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Isabel