Pacific California | Nevada | Hawaii | Alaska

Anyone around the Barstow, CA area available tomorrow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 04:19 PM
interceptor_1972
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone around the Barstow, CA area available tomorrow?

Taking on a spur of the moment, solo ride from Lawton, Oklahoma to Barstow, CA tomorrow in an attempt to do the SaddleSore 1000. Never been west of Albuquerque before, other than a flight into and out of LAX. Would any locals in/around the Barstow area be available, and interested in becoming a witness should I successfully complete the ride there?

I know this is short notice, and if nothing else, there'll always be the fuel receipts and such but it would be nice to meet others from the area if anyone is free.

Ambitious plan is to ride from Lawton, Oklahoma to Barstow, CA on Day 1 (tomorrow), stay the night in Barstow and head out early am on Sunday towards I-10 to Phoenix, Tuscon and eventually to El Paso, TX and stay the night there, then day 3 (Monday) would be the return trip back to Lawton, OK from El Paso, via Midland, Abilene and back.

The three day run should net around 2,500 - 2,800 miles depending on any detours in between and hopefully, achieve the Bun-Burner 1500 as well.

Hope to see many out on the road and ride safe!

Manoj

Old 05-26-2017, 07:36 PM
Apendejo
Road Warrior
Received 522 Likes on 295 Posts

Take pictures when you get there. The McDonalds is a well known tourist trap with it's railroad theme and whatnot.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:56 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

If I could pop my head in here for just a moment.

If you ride in California, then you really need to check into the Southern California Motorcycle Association https://sc-ma.com/

These guys are absolutely phenomenal!

If you contact them, the president is GONZO. He is unofficially my brother. I love that guy! Very funny, very smart, and we ride all over the USA together.

SCMA has rides all over California and beyond.

They have riders that belong to them literally from all over the world.

If you did not know about them already, you may want to check in with them. They have a lot of riders and oftentimes I am sure you can find some last-minute to go riding with you.

BuzzCap7

Old 05-26-2017, 08:45 PM
interceptor_1972
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Apendejo
Take pictures when you get there. The McDonalds is a well known tourist trap with it's railroad theme and whatnot.
Thank you. I'll keep that in mind. Hopefully it's a 24-hour McDonalds. It'll probably be late at night before I get there.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:48 PM
interceptor_1972
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
If I could pop my head in here for just a moment.

If you ride in California, then you really need to check into the Southern California Motorcycle Association https://sc-ma.com/

These guys are absolutely phenomenal!

If you contact them, the president is GONZO. He is unofficially my brother. I love that guy! Very funny, very smart, and we ride all over the USA together.

SCMA has rides all over California and beyond.

They have riders that belong to them literally from all over the world.

If you did not know about them already, you may want to check in with them. They have a lot of riders and oftentimes I am sure you can find some last-minute to go riding with you.

BuzzCap7
Thanks for the info BuzzCap. Only issues there would be that I'm just there for one day and don't actually live in Cali. I'll be staying the night tomorrow and heading out to Phoenix and Tuscon to try and get the Bun Burner 1500 challenge completed. Had I known about making this trip earlier, I'd have definitely contacted them.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:59 PM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
Thanks for the info BuzzCap. Only issues there would be that I'm just there for one day and don't actually live in Cali. I'll be staying the night tomorrow and heading out to Phoenix and Tuscon to try and get the Bun Burner 1500 challenge completed. Had I known about making this trip earlier, I'd have definitely contacted them.
No worries my friend. The president of SCMA has a house in AZ as well. LOL

You can live anywhere.

Either way, if u r going to knock off the IBA BB, be sure to read their AOW (Archive Of Wisdom) before you make the ride. It will HELP a lot.

GOOD LUCK!!

I did the BB and the BBG (1,500 miles under 24 hrs.).

Oh, get this interceptor.......abt 2 yrs ago the SCMA Prex GONZO did the IBA 50CC! And I met him in Jacksonville, FL as he rode in under 50 hrs. REALLY COOL!!!

I am HAPPY you are giving the BB a shot. I suspect u already did the SS?

BuzzCap7

Old 05-26-2017, 09:11 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,100 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Originally Posted by Apendejo
Better yet the 3 "original" Del Taco's are in Barstow. Way better eats than the chain establishments.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:18 PM
interceptor_1972
Cruiser

No worries my friend. The president of SCMA has a house in AZ as well. LOL

You can live anywhere.

Either way, if u r going to knock off the IBA BB, be sure to read their AOW (Archive Of Wisdom) before you make the ride. It will HELP a lot.

GOOD LUCK!!

I did the BB and the BBG (1,500 miles under 24 hrs.).

Oh, get this interceptor.......abt 2 yrs ago the SCMA Prex GONZO did the IBA 50CC! And I met him in Jacksonville, FL as he rode in under 50 hrs. REALLY COOL!!!

I am HAPPY you are giving the BB a shot. I suspect u already did the SS?

BuzzCap7
Originally Posted by perki48
Better yet the 3 "original" Del Taco's are in Barstow. Way better eats than the chain establishments.
That is indeed impressive. And no I haven't done the SS. This is my first time attempting both in one go. Hoping that's actually allowed to do both there SS and BB in one trip. Getting to Barstow within 24 hours will give me approx. 1,165 miles in 20 hours. A few hours rest and catch some shut eye at a motel and hit the road early morning towards El Paso till I get the remainder needed within 36-hours to finish the BB :-)

Old 05-26-2017, 09:41 PM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
That is indeed impressive. And no I haven't done the SS. This is my first time attempting both in one go. Hoping that's actually allowed to do both there SS and BB in one trip. Getting to Barstow within 24 hours will give me approx. 1,165 miles in 20 hours. A few hours rest and catch some shut eye at a motel and hit the road early morning towards El Paso till I get the remainder needed within 36-hours to finish the BB :-)
Yes my friend..........both are allowed at once. That is exactly how I did the BB and BBG.

I did not see you respond to the AOW. <-- I would suggest that.

2 things to emphasize, stay hydrated and time management when you make your pit stops. The SS is not so bad. Most ppl can knock it off in 17 1/2 hrs.

Anything above that is definitely a higher degree of difficulty. I have confidence in you interceptor. Be sure to read the rules of both rides and do not violate them. They are taken seriously.

I think I am getting more excited than u r for this ride. LOL Whoooo hoooo!!!!

Follow up with us matey and let us know how you did ok? You CAN do it!!

BuzzCap7

Old 05-26-2017, 09:49 PM
interceptor_1972
Cruiser

Yes my friend..........both are allowed at once. That is exactly how I did the BB and BBG.

I did not see you respond to the AOW. <-- I would suggest that.

2 things to emphasize, stay hydrated and time management when you make your pit stops. The SS is not so bad. Most ppl can knock it off in 17 1/2 hrs.

Anything above that is definitely a higher degree of difficulty. I have confidence in you interceptor. Be sure to read the rules of both rides and do not violate them. They are taken seriously.

I think I am getting more excited than u r for this ride. LOL Whoooo hoooo!!!!

Follow up with us matey and let us know how you did ok? You CAN do it!!

BuzzCap7
Haha. Thank you. I'll certainly give it my best. I've actually done this once unintentionally and didn't keep any of my fuel receipts nor get a witness at either end because I wasn't actually aware of the SS. Ended up riding from Lawton to Red River, NM and back the same day. Left at 5:45am and bike was back in the garage three following morning at 3:15am - about 1200 miles - on a Kawasaki KLR650.

In response to the AOW, I'm not sure if I've read that. I know I was reading up quite a bit on the rules on the IBA website. Have my route and fuel stops planned out. Will make my food stops at the same time.

Quick Reply: Anyone around the Barstow, CA area available tomorrow?