Pan America Pan America Forum Only

Great Pan Am Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 10:19 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,504 Likes on 11,217 Posts
Default Great Pan Am Review

I was at my local dealer, and they had 2 Pan Ams on the floor. I really am impressed with the look, design, and features. But, since I do a lot of 2 up long distance touring it isn’t for me, if I was a single rider, I’d be all over one.

Just found this review. Take some time to read it. It’s pretty dang good:

https://advrider.com/harley-davidson...eived-notions/

Old 05-11-2021, 11:45 PM
FatboysFatboy96
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,874 Likes on 7,720 Posts

I was fortunate enough to do a test ride on a PA. Nice bike that I would definitely buy if it was more 2 up friendly. The conundrum is if it was 2 up friendly it would weigh 900#. My wife loves to ride with me so there’s that....

Old 05-12-2021, 02:47 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,473 Likes on 1,412 Posts

I see people touring 2 up on big ADV bikes all the time. The bikes are more than capable of it, there's plenty of luggage space and adding a back rest to the top box gives a pretty comfortable pillion seat.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:09 AM
NODYNA
Road Warrior
Received 864 Likes on 511 Posts

Two up comfort has a lot to do with passenger size and agility. At the demo rides I'm fine on a PA fiancée is 5' 2" 65 years old it's a climb for her to get on the back. The passenger seat is not as wide as an EGlide seat and there will never be the secure feeling of a tour pak back rest. From that short time she feels it could work 2 up for short even a day ride but not comfortably for a multi day ride. If your passenger is taller, longer legs, can be comfortable on a 10" seat yes two may work.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:23 AM
auburntsts
Cruiser

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

I test rode a Special this past weekend and came away with a mixed opinion. As a preface, I’m 5’11”, 190lbs, my current ride is a Softail Slim with a Mustang saddle and back in the day I owned KLR650 so I’m not unfamiliar with a tall dual-sport/adventure bike with mid controls. Anyway overall the PA Special was a blast to ride. The following are specific to me and my preferences/experience so take my observations with a grain of salt.

Pros:
Power— tons off of the line, even in street mode
Agility— at least compared to my almost 700lbs Slim it was light years more nimble (as to be expected), but not as good as say a Livewire
Styling— love it, especially in the Special’s orange and white
Seat height— for me it was perfect, no problem flat footing
TFT screen— it looks awesome and the amount of info displayed is staggering

Cons:
Comfort— and this was a biggee, so much so I’ve decided against trading in my Slim for one. The overall ergonomics are generally fine. The handle bars were comfortably placed as were the hand controls. However, as I’m now used to forward foot controls, the mid-controls felt awkward. Also it didn’t help that the shifter’s move from gear to gear, especially up shifting, wasn’t as positive as on my Slim. The big issue was the seat. I felt like I was sitting on a downhill incline and had to consciously sit back to get any lower back support, An aftermarket seat might fix that— that’s what I did on my Slim to fix the lower back pain the stock saddle was giving me, but that’s not a sure thing.
Adaptive ride height— not worth the money for someone my size or taller. Plus it’s just something else to go wrong.

if I could have a stable of bikes I’d love to have a PA, but the reality is based upon the type of riding I do, I prefer my Slim.

Last edited by auburntsts; 05-19-2021 at 08:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rauchman (05-25-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 01:12 PM
NODYNA
Road Warrior
Received 864 Likes on 511 Posts

Thanks for the PA review.
On my first demo rides I did notice the forward slat and weight on my wrist. By the fourth demo ride I adjusted my seating position and posture to eliminate the weight feeling in the wrist. The seat does tend to have you assume a forward lean position but that can be easily corrected with some seat mods and or taller handlebar riders. H-D already has a taller set and slack in the cables designed in to accommodate the taller risers. I adapted to the heels under body foot led position with no problems but can't say how it will be on a half or full days ride. Most H-D traditional model riders make several changes to make the bike a better fit and more comfortable. So it shouldn't be unexpected that some riders will want to make changes to fit their body and riding style.

The following users liked this post:
rauchman (05-25-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 05:08 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,170 Likes on 7,078 Posts

My Dealer had one delivered a couple of days ago, went down today to take a look if it was still there. My favorite salesperson, told me it was sold; however, he took me out back to the shop so I could take a look at it. He also started it up so I could listen to it, sounds like a typical chain drive overhead cam engine.

I was impressed with the technology and the workmanship. Would of like to ride it, maybe when York has the HD truck and open house if it happens this year. Lots of the stuff looked like technology that is on my Yamaha FJ-09.

Lots of busy stuff to play with on the left & right hand controls.

Here are some close up pictures.

Last edited by CoolBreeze3646; 05-22-2021 at 05:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CoolBreeze3646:
'05Train (05-25-2021), rauchman (05-25-2021)